Windows 10: I need to update my phone number linked to my microsoft account but I'm not able to get a...

Discus and support I need to update my phone number linked to my microsoft account but I'm not able to get a... in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; I need to update my phone number linked to my microsoft account but I'm not able to get a security code because I've changed it and no longer have... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by Peletic, Jul 16, 2021.

1. Peletic Win User

I need to update my phone number linked to my microsoft account but I'm not able to get a...

I need to update my phone number linked to my microsoft account but I'm not able to get a security code because I've changed it and no longer have access. I have an alternative email linked to my microsoft account however I'm not able to figure out how to request that to be my main form of verification. Any help with how to update my information without having to wait a month would be very much apprieciated.

:)

Peletic, Jul 16, 2021
  2. Kari Win User

Microsoft account and phone number linked

Microsoft account password recovery requires two verification codes being sent using two different verification methods. Each Microsoft account has at least two verification methods, the phone number and additional email address which are asked and required when you set up a new Microsoft account with a new hotmail.com or outlook.com email or using a third party email.

When the thief who got your phone tries to recover your password, all your verification methods / security info phone numbers and email addresses will be listed for him to select one. OK, the thief naturally selects your phone number, gets the code sent as a text message, and enters it.

But, clicking Next after entering the code he needs to select another security info contact (phone / email) from the list to receive second verification code.

Password recovery is not possible with just your phone, the system is clever enough to make it impossible by requiring two codes being sent to two different phones and / or emails.

You can add as many phone numbers and email address as you wish as security info contacts at https://account.live.com/proofs/mana...&refp=security. I wholeheartedly recommend that you add at least another security email address; if you only have one phone number and one email added, those which were required when you set up the Microsoft account, and that thief got your phone, the recovery would be as impossible to you as it is to him, you both having access to just one of required two verification methods.

3. NavyLCDR Win User
    Microsoft account and phone number linked

Microsoft sends a text to the phone number with a code that you then have to enter to recover your password. They have to be able to receive the actual text message, not just have the phone number.

NavyLCDR, Jul 16, 2021
  4. Tetsujin Win User

I need to update my phone number linked to my microsoft account but I'm not able to get a...

How can I un-link my current Microsoft account that is tagged to my Windows activation license and link it to a new Microsoft account?

You don't make a new account & try to move your entitlements to it, you change the email address associated with the original account.

From Microsoft Support - Change the email address or phone number for your Microsoft account

Tetsujin, Jul 16, 2021
Thema:

1. I need to update my phone number linked to my microsoft account but I'm not able to get a... - Similar Threads - need update phone

2. I need a phone number for Microsoft. I want my account unlocked! I was hacked & need my files

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    I need a phone number for Microsoft. I want my account unlocked! I was hacked & need my files: Need a Microsoft # to speak to a human. I cant get into my computer for 4 weeks. I was keying a list to a major site and had trouble. I called & they didn't see a problem. I could get into other sites, not theirs. Suddenly my system dies. I get a call from "supposedly"...
  3. I need a phone number for Microsoft. I want my account unlocked! I was hacked & need my files

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I need a phone number for Microsoft. I want my account unlocked! I was hacked & need my files: Need a Microsoft # to speak to a human. I cant get into my computer for 4 weeks. I was keying a list to a major site and had trouble. I called & they didn't see a problem. I could get into other sites, not theirs. Suddenly my system dies. I get a call from "supposedly"...
  4. I need a phone number for Microsoft. I want my account unlocked! I was hacked & need my files

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Adding a phone number to my Microsoft account.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Adding a phone number to my Microsoft account.: Hi,I am trying to add a phone number to my Microsoft account. I am able to input my phone number and receive a code, but then keep getting an error message that says, "This service is temporarily unavailable. Please try again later." This has been happening consistently for...
  6. Adding a phone number to my Microsoft account.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Adding a phone number to my Microsoft account.: Hi,I am trying to add a phone number to my Microsoft account. I am able to input my phone number and receive a code, but then keep getting an error message that says, "This service is temporarily unavailable. Please try again later." This has been happening consistently for...
  7. Adding a phone number to my Microsoft account.

in Windows 10 Customization
  8. My Phone Number is wrong in my microsoft Account!!!

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    My Phone Number is wrong in my microsoft Account!!!: My phone number is wrong in my microsoft account!!! HELP PLEASE https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-phone-number-is-wrong-in-my-microsoft-account/ec38225b-e899-4187-b2bd-7feda3c25f40
  9. I'm no longer able to link Alexa with my Microsoft account

in Windows 10 Customization
    I'm no longer able to link Alexa with my Microsoft account: I have the Cortana skill installed in Alexa. I was able to do things like "Alexa open Cortana", then "Add eggs to my grocery list". Then suddenly it stopped working. So, I tried unlinking my Microsoft account from Alexa. But now when I try to link the accounts again I get...
  10. Microsoft account and phone number linked

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Microsoft account and phone number linked: Hi all, If I start to use a Microsoft account in Windows 10, so I can use better the store and all the option related to it, but someone steal my pc and steal my telephone card, this "someone" could have access to my Windows 10 by using my mobile number recovering my...