Windows 10: I need to upgrade my mechanical hdd with ssd How do I migrate the Windows OS with losing...

Discus and support I need to upgrade my mechanical hdd with ssd How do I migrate the Windows OS with losing... in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; I intend to upgrade my mechanical hdd to a proper 480 ssd, I have genuine windows installled on my PC and my laptop does not have a dual drive. How do... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by PratyayGanguli, Sep 13, 2019.

1. I need to upgrade my mechanical hdd with ssd How do I migrate the Windows OS with losing...

I intend to upgrade my mechanical hdd to a proper 480 ssd, I have genuine windows installled on my PC and my laptop does not have a dual drive. How do I migrate my OS? Please Help!

I don't wanna lose my licence.

:)

PratyayGanguli, Sep 13, 2019

2. OS Migration

I have a PC that has become very slow at booting up. Sometimes it takes so long to be ready to use, I have to re-boot it again in order for it so be useable at all. It has 2 x 1TB HDDs in it & the one with the OS on it is at about 95% full. So I guess that
    this could be the reason it is so slow to get going.

• Would it improve it at all if I was to migrate the OS onto an SSD?
    • Is it possible to migrate the OS alone to the SSD & leave all the data on the HDD?
    • If it is, what then happens to the OS on the HDD?
    • Also what happens to access to existing data in Windows folders like Documents, music etc?
    So many questions.

This is probably in the wrong section but I couldn't find anything appropriate.

Tim Gosling, Sep 13, 2019
  3. Migrated OS to SSD now unable to do inplace upgrade

I used MiniTool Partition wizard to migrate the OS from my HDD to a new SSD. Process worked fine and the SSD booted.
    Problem is when I try to do an inplace upgrade to Windows 10 Insider preview on the SSD. The installation stops with the message that windows cannot be installed to a USB drive. Perhaps the problem is that there is no hidden system partition on the SSD?

Any suggestions please.

Cheers

bignoddy55, Sep 13, 2019
  4. I need to upgrade my mechanical hdd with ssd How do I migrate the Windows OS with losing...

Migrating Win10 OEM Upgrade from HDD to SSD

I recently helped a friend with OEM Windows 7 Home Premium on his laptop upgrade to Windows 10. All went well with no probs - so laptop is currently running Windows 10 OEM.

He now wants to swap out the single HDD for a Samsung 850 Evo SSD. Can I simply migrate the HDD to the SSD, and then swap the SSD for the HDD - and Windows 10 OEM will still be activated?

I did something similar with my laptop (running Win10 Retail, upgraded from Win8.1 retail), using the Samsung migration software.

Will a similar job work with Win10 OEM?

Thanks for any help/advice.

HenryHonda, Sep 13, 2019
Thema:

I need to upgrade my mechanical hdd with ssd How do I migrate the Windows OS with losing...

1. I need to upgrade my mechanical hdd with ssd How do I migrate the Windows OS with losing... - Similar Threads - need upgrade mechanical

2. MIGRATION OF OS FROM HDD TO SSD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    MIGRATION OF OS FROM HDD TO SSD: Hi,If I just migrate my Windows 10 from HDD to SSD but since my HDD has two other drives-D & E, besides C; so after that, if I change the boot option to SSD from HDD as shown above, will the data on drives D & E of my HDD will be formatted as well since I'm just migrating my...
  3. MIGRATION OF OS FROM HDD TO SSD

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    MIGRATION OF OS FROM HDD TO SSD: Hi,If I just migrate my Windows 10 from HDD to SSD but since my HDD has two other drives-D & E, besides C; so after that, if I change the boot option to SSD from HDD as shown above, will the data on drives D & E of my HDD will be formatted as well since I'm just migrating my...
  4. MIGRATION OF OS FROM HDD TO SSD

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. Windows 10 PRO OS migration from HDD to SSD

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 PRO OS migration from HDD to SSD: Hi, I have dell inspiron 3542 with Windows 10 Pro genuine version in HDD, and it's digitally activated while upgraded from Windows 10 Home to Pro, I backed up my product ID in Microsoft account, But yesterday I had inserted 2nd SSD caddy in DVD slot, I tried to migrate OS...
  6. Migrating OS to SSD

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Migrating OS to SSD: To keep it short: Migrating OS from HDD to SSD. Problem is the EFI boot partition (16 Mb) and another unnamed partition are on the SSD. Somehow, the main Windows files are on the C: drive (HDD) and the boot is on the SSD. Aside from that, nothing else on the solid drive....
  7. Migrate OS to SSD

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Migrate OS to SSD: I cannot figure out how to move windows 10 os to new SSD. The C drive is not partitioned so the 1.8 TB drive is trying to migrate to the 500gb SSD, which it will not allow me to do. Is there a way to seperate just the OS from the C drive ?...
  8. How do i Migrate windows partition from large HDD to SMALL SSD?

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    How do i Migrate windows partition from large HDD to SMALL SSD?: I have just got a 120gb SSD and i put it in my laptop along with my 1tb SSHD and my 32gb Mssd. now i would like to have this as my final output 120gb SSD holding ONLY windows files/installation and possible some small apps (bootable) and my large 1TB for everything...
  9. Need Help Migrating Upgraded HDD to larger HDD

Need Help Migrating Upgraded HDD to larger HDD: I'm trying to migrate my Win10x64 OS and apps (not concerned about data) to a larger HDD by using several software apps (Acronis, AOEMI Partition Assistant) in Clone or Copy or Migrate modes. So far, none of them will boot when the older boot drive is disconnected or...
  10. Migrated OS to SSD now unable to do inplace upgrade

Migrated OS to SSD now unable to do inplace upgrade: I used MiniTool Partition wizard to migrate the OS from my HDD to a new SSD. Process worked fine and the SSD booted. Problem is when I try to do an inplace upgrade to Windows 10 Insider preview on the SSD. The installation stops with the message that windows cannot be...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. will i lose software on my pc if i upgrade my hdd

2. change my mechanical 1tb disk windows 10

3. I NEED TO KEEP MY HDD BUT WANT TO ADD SSD WITH OS ON IT