Windows 10: I never use Bitlocker and it locked my external hard drive.

Discus and support I never use Bitlocker and it locked my external hard drive. in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Hi, I had never use Bitlocker and it locked my harddrive. When I want to unlock my hard drive I get an error: 'The BitLocker encryption on this drive... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by Lukasz_614, Feb 10, 2020.

1. I never use Bitlocker and it locked my external hard drive.

Hi,

I had never use Bitlocker and it locked my harddrive. When I want to unlock my hard drive I get an error: 'The BitLocker encryption on this drive is not compatible with your version of windows.'

I use Windows 10 Pro v.10.0.18362 compilation 18362

Dell Latitude E5470

I installed the newest Bios version from Dell support and tray every USB port.

What I can do to solve this problem?

:)

Lukasz_614, Feb 10, 2020

2. External Hard Drive Locked Automatically by Bitlocker

I have a problem with my external hard drive. It appears that Bitlocker locked it without my knowledge. I have never even heard of Bitlocker before my File Explorer told me that the drive was locked by Bitlocker.

I have no password because I did not set it up. As for the recovery key, I was able to retrieve it from my Microsoft Account. However, when I used it, Windows 10 did not accept the recovery key.

How do I recover my files from my external hard drive?

Thanks,

Rob

RobPanganiban, Feb 10, 2020
  3. Nikhar_K Win User
    Remove BitLocker for external drive

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

We understand that you want to disable BitLocker for the external hard drive. However, we would like to know if you are able to access data from the external hard drive.

In the meantime, you may refer the steps mentioned below to disable BitLocker:

1. Type Command Prompt in the search bar on the
      Taskbar.
    2. Right click on the Command Prompt icon and select
      Run as administrator.
    3. Type manage-bde –off X: and hit
      Enter
      . (Replace X with the drive letter of the external hard drive)

Meanwhile, you may also post your query in
    TechNet forums
    , where we have support professionals who are well equipped with the knowledge on BitLocker to address your query.

Regards,

Nikhar Khare

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Nikhar_K, Feb 10, 2020
  4. I never use Bitlocker and it locked my external hard drive.

External Hard Drive Locked Automatically by Bitlocker

Hi Rob,

To resolve the issue, please check out this
    thread
    about a similar issue. You may refer to Ramesh.Kumar's post.

Let us know how it goes.

JohnRod Nav, Feb 10, 2020
Thema:

I never use Bitlocker and it locked my external hard drive.

1. I never use Bitlocker and it locked my external hard drive. - Similar Threads - never Bitlocker locked

2. External HDD suddenly locked by Bitlocker, but I never used Bitlocker! Never even heard of...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    External HDD suddenly locked by Bitlocker, but I never used Bitlocker! Never even heard of...: I have a "My Passport" external HDD. I use it to backup ALL my photos, and it is the only place my entire music mp3s library is stored.It worked fine last night. I opened up my laptop this morning, and got a message saying that the drive is locked and "Bitlocker protected,"...
  3. External HDD suddenly locked by Bitlocker, but I never used Bitlocker! Never even heard of...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    External HDD suddenly locked by Bitlocker, but I never used Bitlocker! Never even heard of...: I have a "My Passport" external HDD. I use it to backup ALL my photos, and it is the only place my entire music mp3s library is stored.It worked fine last night. I opened up my laptop this morning, and got a message saying that the drive is locked and "Bitlocker protected,"...
  4. External HDD suddenly locked by Bitlocker, but I never used Bitlocker! Never even heard of...

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. External HDD suddenly locked by Bitlocker, but I never used Bitlocker! Never even heard of...

6. My hard drive is locked with bitlocker

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My hard drive is locked with bitlocker: As soon as I connected my Seagate hard drive to my laptop, the drive got encrypted with Bitlocker and I don't have a recovery key. I tried to reach out to Seagate and they told me it is done by your operating system contact Microsoft for the resolution.I am kind of stranded...
  7. My hard drive is locked with bitlocker

My hard drive is locked with bitlocker: As soon as I connected my Seagate hard drive to my laptop, the drive got encrypted with Bitlocker and I don't have a recovery key. I tried to reach out to Seagate and they told me it is done by your operating system contact Microsoft for the resolution.I am kind of stranded...
  8. BitLocker unilaterally locked my external hard drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    BitLocker unilaterally locked my external hard drive: BitLocker locked my external hard drive without being asked. I installed an NVME m.2 SSD in a laptop and loaded a bunch of content onto it. Used it fine for several months. I then sold the laptop, removed the hard drive, and installed it in my desktop only to discovered that...
  9. BitLocker unilaterally locked my external hard drive

BitLocker unilaterally locked my external hard drive: BitLocker locked my external hard drive without being asked. I installed an NVME m.2 SSD in a laptop and loaded a bunch of content onto it. Used it fine for several months. I then sold the laptop, removed the hard drive, and installed it in my desktop only to discovered that...
  10. BitLocker locked my external hard drive by itself

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    BitLocker locked my external hard drive by itself: On several occasions, after removing an old drive, the drive gets locked by "Bitlocker" even though the user did not activate "Bitlocker" any solution? thx...