Windows 10: I plugged in the hdd into my desktop and it took about 10 minuets to boot

Discus and support I plugged in the hdd into my desktop and it took about 10 minuets to boot in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Ok so my story starts a week ago when my old hard drive has a head crash luckily I had the important data backed up however it had windows 7 on it and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by firenado, Mar 7, 2020.

1. firenado Win User

I plugged in the hdd into my desktop and it took about 10 minuets to boot

Ok so my story starts a week ago when my old hard drive has a head crash luckily I had the important data backed up however it had windows 7 on it and since that is no longer supported and I didn't have a reinstalation disc I was forced to use the old hdd from my laptop that I had recently upgraded to ssd but there was a problem the laptop has windows 10. I didn't think this would be much of a problem as if I could suffer owning one object with windows 10 it wouldn't be a big issue owning two since I dont have the displeasure of using both of them at the same time unless I was really unlucky.

I plugged in the hdd into my desktop and it took about 10 minuets to boot I thought this was to do with the some what drastic change in hardware which was somewhat true but little did I know the normal times whern't much better whereas on windows 7 it only took around 3 using a, get this, SLOWER HARD DRIVE!

Anyway I continued using it as I had no alternative when I noticed a couple of things:

one: it took 2 hours for windows to even realise there were 2 monitors plugged in which normally I would have put down to a bad connection however it is hard to think that when both monitors are showing an image and mirroring it.

Two: there are not one but two control panels one is labelled settings and sounds a lot less obnoxious than "control panel" I mean this is a boring computer not a space ship. however the settings menu is, I think, supposed to replace the control panel SO WHY STILL INCLUDE IT? Or better yet rename it to settings and remove other one as the ui doesn't mach the rest of the os. ether that or chose one stile and stick with it.

three: And oh my god the updates on windows 7 you could set it to update and do all that stuff on a scheduled at like 3 in the morning on a Wednesday or something which is fine as at that point I don't give a damn what it does as I am asleep. but on windows 10 OH HELL NO! it must update as soon as the possible or the whole world will collapse and the sun will go supernova I mean for a normal person the downloading of updates is fine but on my country internet as soon as anything starts downloading the ping goes from 33 to 500+ depending on the weather when I am for example playing a game. but what really grinds my gears is the fact that I am all happy and content playing a game having just finished writing something in note pad when windows just closes everything without permission and restarts for no reason as it had already updated a restart ago and bam one of my few moments of relaxation screwed over again thank you. I have a computer for the reason it does stuff for me so when it does things without my permission that is crossing a boundary dont you think?

Four: airoglass is a nice aesthetic touch to an os as it soothes the harshness of the many contrasts in the windows. but ohh no you had to ruin that too now you have made it part of the harsh contrast and the only transparency it has just looks like a frosted window with mould growing on it.

five: just give up cortana or at least make it uninstallable.

six: the start menu is just annoying if I wanted to play chess on a board made of advertisements I would have started drinking hard liqueur years ago.

so in short you have not only made me hate windows 10 but you have aggravated me to the point I had to write an assay longer that probably most of the ones I have written in school to express my disappointment in you. In fact I'm not even sure I will return to windows seven at all as the Idea of using linux is much more appealing now that it ever was.

also edit: I can no longer type in the program search bar you can see the cursor flashing but you cant type there and it isn't the only one ether which could be a problem.

:)

firenado, Mar 7, 2020
  2. clam1952 Win User

won't boot with external hdd plugged in

Suggest get rid of Boot other Device, which if memory serves me correctly means other than those listed such as USB.

clam1952, May 27, 2020
  3. mg8t7gn Win User

Change enabled to disabled?

mg8t7gn, May 27, 2020
  4. sygnus21 Win User

If you're unsure what those other entries are, I'd leave well enough alone. As long as the "boot" drive is listed first, you're fine.

sygnus21, May 27, 2020
Thema:

1. I plugged in the hdd into my desktop and it took about 10 minuets to boot - Similar Threads - plugged hdd desktop

2. cant boot into windows unless my old HDD with my old windows is plugged in.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    cant boot into windows unless my old HDD with my old windows is plugged in.: so, for context I bought two new m.2 ssd's since my hard drives are dying and I wanted a faster experience. After installing windows 10 for the first time on this SSD and trying to boot it says "select which volume you'd like to boot off of" which I am sorta familiar with...
  3. cant boot into windows unless my old HDD with my old windows is plugged in.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    cant boot into windows unless my old HDD with my old windows is plugged in.: so, for context I bought two new m.2 ssd's since my hard drives are dying and I wanted a faster experience. After installing windows 10 for the first time on this SSD and trying to boot it says "select which volume you'd like to boot off of" which I am sorta familiar with...
  4. cant boot into windows unless my old HDD with my old windows is plugged in.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Laptop not booting fully when external HDD plugged in.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Laptop not booting fully when external HDD plugged in.: My Surface Book doesn't boot 100% through when I have a HDD plugged in via USB. It's "waiting" past the login screen. Only when I unplug the HDD it's loading all the services and programs. This is only on a cold boot also. There is no external programm on the HDD just files...
  6. Booting with my HDD

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Booting with my HDD: While I was installing my windows 10 OS, I have come across a problem. Whilst I was trying to boot my system, I have discovered that I can not boot it via my HDD but can only boot it with the windows boot manager. I have tried a lot of different options to fix it like...
  7. About my old data in hdd

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    About my old data in hdd: Hello I recently upgraded my device to ssd from hdd and I have installed fresh windows in new ssd and I cant access my old user data in hdd when ever I try to open it just keep loading so what should I do now...
  8. How to boot SB2 with old desktop HDD ?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    How to boot SB2 with old desktop HDD ?: Hello everyone. I hope everyone is doing well with the pandemic going on. So i still have few of my old pcs and my desktops hdd. I have a sata to usb cable that i use for my laptops hdd to open in my surface book. Before i format them i tried booting my SB2 with the hdd but...
  9. won't boot with external hdd plugged in

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    won't boot with external hdd plugged in: My Dell insiron desktop will not boot when I have my usb external hdd plugged in. When I was on Win7, this wasn't a problem because I would unplug it when restarting after doing Windows updates. Now that Win10 pro 64 automatically updates and restarts my computer on its own,...
  10. When my external HDD is plugged in, my computer refuses to boot.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    When my external HDD is plugged in, my computer refuses to boot.: Okay, so my External HDD is broken. Badly. I'm just gonna list the things I've noticed and the things I've done to try and fix it, so that hopefully you can give me guidance on more things to try. If the drive is plugged in when the computer boots, the computer hangs on the...