Windows 10: I plugged my hard drive into another computer, now I have permissions and windows security...

Discus and support I plugged my hard drive into another computer, now I have permissions and windows security... in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Recently my power supply died and I had to replace it. While I was waiting for the replacement, I needed some files off the C:\ drive, so I plugged it... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Replaytmot, Jul 29, 2019.

1. I plugged my hard drive into another computer, now I have permissions and windows security...

Recently my power supply died and I had to replace it. While I was waiting for the replacement, I needed some files off the C:\ drive, so I plugged it into my SATA dock attached to my laptop. The files in question were in Documents, so of course I navigated into my user folder, which asked to grant permissions, and I did so.

Having done this with other drives, including other C:\ drives from previous computers of mine, as well as friends, family and clients, I didn't think anything of it. However now after installing the new PSU, I found that initially I was getting requests for permissions for almost every file in the user folder as well as most programs in AppData (mostly the ones in Local), and security warnings for links on my desktop and the quick launch icons on the taskbar, and for two startup programs, one of which is a custom program, and the other is OneDrive. Additionally several Windows apps are not working, specifically Mail, and Microsoft Store (haven't checked every app yet); as well as my browser of choice, Opera returned errors before launching, and Discord also not running.

I first went about resetting permissions for the user folder to my account, however that didn't remove the security warnings nor fix the broken apps. I've tried using command prompt to reset the folder via the commands "icacls /reset /t /c /l" and "icacls /setintegretylevel (OI)(CI)med /t /c /l", and SOME security warnings went away, but not all of them. I've tried multiple methods to fix the misbehaving apps, including resetting caches, manually deleting caches, resetting them via Settings, and several powershell commands to reinstall them individually, as well as reinstall all apps. Opera updated and is now running fine, and I've reinstalled Discord and it too is running fine.

I've also confirmed that the issue I am having is related to my account, as I've set up multiple temporary accounts, all of which have no issue whatsoever with any folders, links, programs or apps.

I realise that my specific fixes may not be doing exactly what I was hoping, as I admittedly have only a knowledge of command prompt and powershell that can be described as slightly higher than rudimentary at best. However, I have been working with both Windows and computers in general for the last 14 years, and I have never experienced this level of issue on my own, nor other computers that I've been working with. I'd very much like to get this issue resolved without needing to migrate my data to another account, or worse, completely reinstall my OS.

:)

Replaytmot, Jul 29, 2019

2. Computer freezes and Explorer doen't respond when I plug an external Hard drive

Hello jobkakule,

The issue is possibly caused by corrupted data or bad sectors on your external hard drive or could be a sign of a failing hard drive.

To better assist you with your concern, I'd like to know the following:

• Confirm which build is currently installed on your device. To check, follow the steps below:
    1. Press Windows key + R, then type in winver.
    2. Click OK.
    • Have you tried plugging your external hard drive to a different USB port? Also, check if you can access the drive by plugging it to a different computer.
    • What is the make and model of your computer?

Meanwhile, I'd suggest to repair the bad sectors on your external hard drive. Kindly refer to the steps below:

(Let's just assume that the drive letter for your external hard drive is E. If not, please do change it to the correct drive letter)

1. Plug in your external hard drive. Click on Start, search for
    Command Prompt, right-click on it and select Run as administrator.

2. Type in the following command below and press Enter after each command:

Chkdsk /f E:

Chkdsk /r E:

3. Reboot your computer after the scan is completed.

Looking forward to your response.

Regards.

Melchizedek Qui, Jul 29, 2019
  3. Overclock your hard drive!!!

Heres a much easier hack that I realized quite a few years ago that really does work!

REQUIREMENTS:
    • Hard drive with molex power connection.
    • PSU with more than 1 strand that has molex plugs on it.
    • Wire strippers, soldering iron if you're fancy, electrical tape if you're not.
    STEPS:
    • Take the strand of connectors from your PSU, and decide which one will be the donator for this overclocking adventure.
    • Cut the yellow and orange cables, then twist them together.
    • Find the power connector you've chosen as the overclocking connector, and release the orange cable from the connector. Now use your preferred method to bind them together, then place it back together.
    • Plug in a drive and feel the speed!
    Congratulations! You've just overclocked your hard drive!

Sir B. Fannybottom, Jul 29, 2019
  4. I plugged my hard drive into another computer, now I have permissions and windows security...

Permission issue, shared drive Windows 10.

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

We can understand your concern. However, we would need some more information regarding the issue.

1. May I know the exact error message?
    2. Have you shared all hard drives or any particular folder within the particular hard drive?

Since you have mentioned that you are getting error related to permission issue, please refer to the troubleshooting steps provided by “Azee N” dated June 2nd 2010 on
    Providing permission to drive and try
    providing permission to the drive.

If the issue still persists, we would suggest you to follow the steps mentioned below to re-map the drive.

1. Disconnect the drive by right click on the drive and select disconnect (if the drive is mapped).
    2. Then re-map the drive by referring to Map a network drive
      and check if it resolves the issue.

Regards,

Manjunath_H, Jul 29, 2019
Thema:

I plugged my hard drive into another computer, now I have permissions and windows security...

1. I plugged my hard drive into another computer, now I have permissions and windows security... - Similar Threads - plugged hard drive

2. Can I clone windows on another hard drive and then put that hard drive into a new computer?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can I clone windows on another hard drive and then put that hard drive into a new computer?: I have a computer right now. I put a new ssd in it. I cloned the stuff on my old hard drive into the ssd. If I later take out that ssd to a new computer that I'm building right now. Can I keep the windows on both computers or do I have to reinstall it on the new computer with...
  3. Can I clone windows on another hard drive and then put that hard drive into a new computer?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can I clone windows on another hard drive and then put that hard drive into a new computer?: I have a computer right now. I put a new ssd in it. I cloned the stuff on my old hard drive into the ssd. If I later take out that ssd to a new computer that I'm building right now. Can I keep the windows on both computers or do I have to reinstall it on the new computer with...
  4. Can I clone windows on another hard drive and then put that hard drive into a new computer?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
  5. I put my hard drive in another computer. Windows not working now.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I put my hard drive in another computer. Windows not working now.: I have a faulty Compaq pc. It was not turning on since months. I took the hard drive and put it in my hp-p21336il. The windows now forces startup repair.The windows gave some error earlier but it booted up.Like error loading operating system.The hard drive is in bad health...
  6. I put my hard drive in another computer. Windows not working now.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I put my hard drive in another computer. Windows not working now.: I have a faulty Compaq pc. It was not turning on since months. I took the hard drive and put it in my hp-p21336il. The windows now forces startup repair.The windows gave some error earlier but it booted up.Like error loading operating system.The hard drive is in bad health...
  7. I have two hard drives in my computer, can I switch which hard drive windows is on?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    I have two hard drives in my computer, can I switch which hard drive windows is on?: I have two hard drive in my computer, a 250 gb and a 1tb. Windows is currently on my 250gb hard drive but I want to move it over to the 1tb, is this possible?...
  8. I have lost permissions to my only hard drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    I have lost permissions to my only hard drive: My laptop has been having some problems since I got it. First It was owned by a friend of my dad, then by my dad and now by me. I think It's a acer aspire 5742Z, the specs are the same and looks pretty much the same. So the computer is slow and I wanted to reset it to...
  9. I don't have permission my external hard drive.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    I don't have permission my external hard drive.: I can't download or change anything inside my hard drive. Everytime i try to do so i get the Message "You dont have permission to do this" even though i am admin on my PC. This is the 2nd time i have this problem, last time i just formated the Whole disk and it worked fine...
  10. I have taken out a hard drive from my old pc on the hard drive is windows 7 so if i plug it...

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    I have taken out a hard drive from my old pc on the hard drive is windows 7 so if i plug it...: If I plug an old hard drive from an old pc into my new windows 10 computer will it change to windows 7? As that is what is currently on the hard drive...