Windows 10: I press 1 Key but my keyboard types multiple letters

Discus and support I press 1 Key but my keyboard types multiple letters in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I hope I don't have to get an external keyboard So, I have a laptop and some water was spilled and now when I type some keys, adjadcent keys get... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by ΜιχάληςΖαχόπουλος, Dec 16, 2020.

1. I press 1 Key but my keyboard types multiple letters

I hope I don't have to get an external keyboard

So, I have a laptop and some water was spilled and now when I type some keys, adjadcent keys get pressed as well.\

Examples:

Enter produces a '\'

Z produces an 'AZ'

C produces a 'DC'

M produces a 'JMN'

I suspect I will have to either live with the problem or get an external keyboard.

:)

ΜιχάληςΖαχόπουλος, Dec 16, 2020
  2. Jelu Cal Win User

Keyboard is typing multiple things when a key is pressed

Hi,

To better understand your concern about your device's keyboard, we'd like to know the following:

• The last activities performed on your device prior to the issue.
    • If you were cleaning your keyboard prior to the issue.
    • If your device has been exposed to any type of liquid.
    • Make and model of your device.
    In the meantime, you can perform the following to isolate the unintentional use of the
    Fn key on your keyboard:

• If your laptop has a numeric keypad, press and hold Fn and NumLock
      keys on your keyboard.
    • If numeric pad is not available, press and hold Fn and CapsLock keys on your keyboard.

We look forward to your response.

Jelu Cal, Dec 16, 2020
  3. v_realo Win User
    Keyboard typing numbers instead of letters

Hi flemmingknudsen,

I’m Rey, your Independent Advisor.

I understand you are having trouble with your keyboard which types numbers instead of letters. Let me help you with this.

I understand that you have tried the num lock key and it's the same outcome.

Have you tried to press Fn key + Num lock? If not, try it and see if it will fix the concern.

If still it will not fix the issue, follow this steps:

1.Press Windows Key + R then type osk and hit Enter to open On-Screen Keyboard.

2.Turn off Num Lock by clicking on it (If it is ON it will be shown in different color).

3.If you can’t see the Num lock then click on Options.

4.Checkmark “Turn on numeric key pad” and click OK.

5.This will enable the NumLock option and you could easily turn it off.

6.Reboot your PC to save changes.

Lastly, sometimes 3rd party software can conflict with Hardware such as Keyboard and can cause this issue. In order to Fix Keyboard Typing Numbers Instead of Letters issue, you need to perform a clean boot on your PC .

1. Press windows key + R, then type msconfig.

2. Select In General tab, select Selective Start up, put a check mark on load system services and unchecked "Load start up items".

Let me know if you still have issues after these steps and let's work on this together.

I believe that these steps will help you solve this issue you have. If not, kindly contact me and let me know.

v_realo, Dec 16, 2020
  4. spunk Win User

I press 1 Key but my keyboard types multiple letters

Possible to make shift key stick until letter is pressed?

It;s a bit cumbersome, but if you open the OnScreen Keyboard and press the Shift key, highlighting it, and type a letter on the OSK or on your keyboard, it will type the letter in Upper Case and then go back to Lower Case for any remaining letters you type. Of course, you could just press the Caps Lock key on your keyboard, type a letter and then turn Caps Lock Off for the remaining letters, just as well.

spunk, Dec 16, 2020
Thema:

I press 1 Key but my keyboard types multiple letters

1. I press 1 Key but my keyboard types multiple letters - Similar Threads - press Key keyboard

2. Keyboard Keys sometimes take multiple presses to type, or sometimes type itself multiple times

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Keyboard Keys sometimes take multiple presses to type, or sometimes type itself multiple times: So, this has started happening a few months ago, some keys, mostly R, W, Shift, CTRL and i would take multiple presses to type, or would sometimes write multiple times, like: "WWWhats up?" the keys problem got fixed when i got an external keyboard, but some buttons like CTRL...
  3. Keyboard Keys sometimes take multiple presses to type, or sometimes type itself multiple times

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Keyboard Keys sometimes take multiple presses to type, or sometimes type itself multiple times: So, this has started happening a few months ago, some keys, mostly R, W, Shift, CTRL and i would take multiple presses to type, or would sometimes write multiple times, like: "WWWhats up?" the keys problem got fixed when i got an external keyboard, but some buttons like CTRL...
  4. 1 key is typing different letters

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    1 key is typing different letters: for eg:- If I typei - i]caps lock - w first click, Wsecond clicko - o and brightness decreasey - uyu- uye - e and volume increaser - rtt - rtp - p[5 - 85etc....
  5. 1 key is typing different letters

1 key is typing different letters: for eg:- If I typei - i]caps lock - w first click, Wsecond clicko - o and brightness decreasey - uyu- uye - e and volume increaser - rtt - rtp - p[5 - 85etc....
  6. 1 key is typing different letters

in Windows 10 Gaming
  7. My hp keyboard is typing multiple letters

My hp keyboard is typing multiple letters: My hp keyboard is typing multiple letters/. why https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-hp-keyboard-is-typing-multiple-letters/793b2f06-a4a0-4488-904f-bec6cb8f518e
  8. External Keyboard only types when multiple keys are pressed

External Keyboard only types when multiple keys are pressed: My keyboard only types when multiple keys are pressed, tried unplug and plug the usb, tried it on another device and works properly. im on a laptop and the laptop keyboard is working....
  9. Some keys on my keyboard are typing multiple letters

Some keys on my keyboard are typing multiple letters: *sorry for my bad english So whenever I click the 's' key, my s and down arrow button are pressing at the same time. When I press 'delete', my 'delete' and right arrow key are pressing at the same time. This really frustrated me when I search on google. I can't find any...
  10. When I press enter on my keyboard it types the letter o

When I press enter on my keyboard it types the letter o: When I press enter on my keyboard it types the letter o. I have tried restarting, changing language and location and no dice. An help would be much appreciated....

Users found this page by searching for:

1. pressing 1 makes my keyboar type letters

2. keyboard hold types multiple letters