Windows 10: I pressed esc and the screen's now gray

Discus and support I pressed esc and the screen's now gray in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; I pressed esc thinking it would cancel a function, because I pressed the wrong button in Word. I guess I pressed too late. I think it messed up a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by ._151, May 1, 2020.

1. ._151 Win User

I pressed esc and the screen's now gray

I pressed esc thinking it would cancel a function, because I pressed the wrong button in Word. I guess I pressed too late. I think it messed up a script.

Now the screen except for the top tenth or so and the bottom taskbar is covered by light gray. I can see the full screen when I hover over the tab on the bottom taskbar, however whatever app i open is behind this gray. I can move things like sticky notes just above the gray slightly up/down and sideways but i cant select thing behind the gray.

I have lots of incognito tabs too many to all copy I'm not keen to lose so I don't want to restart.

I have waited a long time and it has gone to sleep and back on multiple times.

Btw I can't search for solutions because my other computer is the school's and its censorship software goes haywire on innocent platforms.

:)

._151, May 1, 2020
  2. topgundcp Win User

How do I get a screenshot of start menu?

1. Run snipping tool ( If screen appears grayed out, press ESC, if not continue step 2.)
    2. Click to open the start menu
    3. Hold CTRL and press print Screen. Screen will appear grayed out, ready to capture.

NOTE: This will work with all popup menus ie. Windows Menu, Context menu etc...

topgundcp, May 1, 2020
  3. How do I get a screenshot of start menu?

Thanks for this topgundcp as I have used the snipping tool a lot but could never figure how to capture pop up menus.

IownAmoneyPit, May 1, 2020
  4. I pressed esc and the screen's now gray

"Gray Screen of Death"

Thanks for your informative post!

I had solved my 2D & gray screen issue using advice posted by erocker (see below)
    Mainly it involves creating a profile and putting higher 2D clocks:

Black Panther, May 1, 2020
Thema:

I pressed esc and the screen's now gray

1. I pressed esc and the screen's now gray - Similar Threads - pressed esc screen's

2. Pressing esc opens start menu & unresponsive keys

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Pressing esc opens start menu & unresponsive keys: Every now and then when I play games on my PC, the esc key would tab out of the game and open the start menu and every other keys would become unresponsive ex: can't type, can't alt + f4 out of programs/games, etc.. When it happens, the problem persists until I reboot my PC....
  3. Pressing esc opens start menu & unresponsive keys

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Pressing esc opens start menu & unresponsive keys: Every now and then when I play games on my PC, the esc key would tab out of the game and open the start menu and every other keys would become unresponsive ex: can't type, can't alt + f4 out of programs/games, etc.. When it happens, the problem persists until I reboot my PC....
  4. When I turn my laptop on it shows a black screen with codes,it said I must press esc to...

When I turn my laptop on it shows a black screen with codes,it said I must press esc to...: Mecer touch screen laptop https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/when-i-turn-my-laptop-on-it-shows-a-black-screen/e7e2811f-8859-4878-b377-474451e1e92a
  5. UAC by passable by pressing ESC!!

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    UAC by passable by pressing ESC!!: What's the purpose of having UAC enabled and limited access accounts if they can just hit ESC when installing software to bypass pin/password for admin account! Windows 10 home, latest build. I was able to install multiple software applications -- by hitting ESC. Run...
  6. why when i press esc my game minimizes

in Windows 10 Customization
    why when i press esc my game minimizes: everytime im playing a game and try to go to the main menu i have to press esc but when i press it minimizes the game and goes to my desktop. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/why-when-i-press-esc-my-game-minimizes/02f4510c-8abd-41ae-90f7-76497a4060be
  7. Windows switches screens by itself as if Alt+Esc were pressed

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Windows switches screens by itself as if Alt+Esc were pressed: Hello Widows community, Your advice would be appreciated with how to resolve this issue, Lenovo and Windows updates were all done, also in device manger mouse and visual drivers were updated, What else can be done to resolve Windows switches screens by itself as if...
  8. Start menu opens when I press esc

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Start menu opens when I press esc: Hello, my name is Maks and I have a question my problem is, when I click esc opens start menu and I can't change sites on firefox and other weird things, I turned off sticky buttons That bug doing at random times and when I restart the computer everything works for 10 min/1,5...
  9. When i press "esc" I get a really fast spam of "space"

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    When i press "esc" I get a really fast spam of "space": When is press "Esc" I notice I actually pressed "Esc" but it was cancelled because of the fast "space" spam. I don't know how to fix it. it's really frustrating in games....
  10. At boot.. press esc to show startup message

At boot.. press esc to show startup message: Hello I have windows 10 on a Compaq c762nr laptop and i just noticed something and was wondering if anybody could explain. During startup, when you see boot options, there is an option to hit esc to enable startup message. I've never messed with it before, but I clicked on...