Windows 10: I really need Windows Update to stop disabling user services. Like, really.

Discus and support I really need Windows Update to stop disabling user services. Like, really. in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; I'm seriously losing my mind here. Every single time there's a major update Windows just deletes any custom services I've installed. I'm wasting so... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/ReturningTarzan, Aug 24, 2020.

1. I really need Windows Update to stop disabling user services. Like, really.

I'm seriously losing my mind here.

Every single time there's a major update Windows just deletes any custom services I've installed. I'm wasting so much time re-enabling shit over and over again and I'm f*cking fed up with it. Just got done with a 45-minute update on my own workstation (already worth thousands of dollars of company time, mind you) only to find that, sure enough, it's disabled my services yet again. So that's even more time I have to spend undoing the damage.

Meanwhile, or last night rather, I did a sudo apt upgrade back home, and it ran nicely, quitely in the background as always. Not to mention, it only ever asks politilely once in a while for a single reboot after a kernel update. And most importantly it always respects my settings.

So anyway, why does Windows do this? And how can I make it stop? Is there some way to lock down parts of a configuration so they don't just get periodically wiped by the forced updates? Is there a secret registry setting for services that makes them persist across updates?

It's a dfficult thing to search for because all I get are questions like "how do I disable the Windows Update service?" Which shares too many keywords with my issue so the results drown out anything that might be what I'm looking for. Not that I'm unsympathethic, of course. The quest to disable Windows Update for good is a noble one, after all.

I don't mind the updates, though. Go ahead and give me all the latest features. Maybe Cortana is a bit less of an idiot this time around. Don't care, because I killed her already. And if Windows Update brings her back then I'll just kill her again. And hey, maybe the latest version of Edge is even better at downloading Firefox. Great.

But why mess with third-party software like that? I have a lot of PCs I have to manage here and the only solution I can think of is writing more custom software to monitor configuration changes and periodically check in with a central server, so at least I know when Windows Update has randomly decided that one of our workstations doesn't need backup software, or a document management system, or GDPR compliance utilities or whatever.

Ah! Eh, well. I've asked this question before, so I guess there's no answer. But I vented, so I feel a little better.

submitted by /u/ReturningTarzan
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/ReturningTarzan, Aug 24, 2020
  2. Delly10 Win User

Is Superfetch really safe to stop?

Whoa! Sorry about that! I'm using a public computer which doesn't have Mbam on it. Maybe that warning would have come up for me otherwise. That makes me wonder about the advice on that site. I googled for something similar and am not finding a list of services that can be disabled in the same way. But for the list provided by the site that got blocked, here's what I was able to copy/paste from it so you can see the list of services it was making reference to:

Disable a Service in Win 10

1. Open the Start menu.
    2. Type Services and open the app that comes up in the search.
    3. A new Window will open and will have all the services that you can tweak.
    4. Double-click a service you want to disable.
    5. From Startup Type: choose Disabled.
    6. Click OK.
    If you want to play even more safe and looking for extreme speed boost in Windows 10, consider using the RegInOut System Utilities and it’s Services Optimizer feature. RegInOut’s extreme-gaming profile feature is quite useful to quickly optimize your Windows 10.
    Now let’s take a look at which services you can manually disable safely.

1. Xbox Live Game Save: This service is responsible for syncing any saved data for games that have Xbox Live save enabled.
    2. Xbox Live Auth Manager: This service provides the authentication and authorization services to communicate with Xbox Live.
    3. AllJoyn Router Service: This service is used for routing the AllJoyn messages for AllJoyn clients.
    4. Bluetooth Support Service: This service is in charge of discovering and working withBluetooth devices. Turning it off is safe if your computer doesn’t have a Bluetooth module.
    5. Geolocation Service: This service is responsible for monitoring the current location of your system.
    6. Phone Service: This service manages the telephony state on the computer.
    7. Touch Keyboard and Handwriting Panel Service: This service handles touch keyboard and handwriting panel pen and ink functionality.
    8. Windows Biometric Service: This service is responsible for capturing and storing biometric data without gaining access to the biometric hardware.
    9. Windows Mobile Hotspot Service: This service enables a user to share cellular data with other devices.
    10. Adobe Acrobat Update Service: This service manages the updates of all Adobe Acrobat applications.
    11. Downloaded Maps Manager: This service allows different installed applications to have access to the downloaded maps.
    12. Internet Explorer ETW Collector Service: This service collects real time ETW events from Internet Explorer and processes them.
    13. Print Spooler: This service handles the interaction between the printer and the computer. Disabling it will disable the ability to print.
    14. Skype Updater: This service helps download and install the latest Skype updates.
    15. Windows Media Player Network Sharing Service: This service lets the user share Windows Media Player libraries to other networked players or music devices.
    16. Windows Update: This service is used for detecting, downloading and installing latest Windows updates.
    17. Auto Time Zone Update: This service works in order to update the time zone automatically.
    18. Bluetooth Handsfree Service: This service handles the computer’s connection with Bluetooth headsets.
    19. Enterprise App Management Service: This service is responsible for managing various enterprise apps.
    20. Hyper-V Heartbeat Service: This service is used for monitoring the state of a virtual machine by sending heartbeats at regular intervals.

Do these services look like they're all safe to disable? I already disable some of these manually each time after I restart my computer and it hasn't caused any problems. I was hoping the same might be true for the rest of these, and could disable them permanently.

Delly10, Aug 24, 2020
  3. AsRock Win User
    Windows Updates failed to instal

I'm not sure how differant XP media center Edition is but you could clear the history \ cache if these folders are there.

Step 1 Register DLL files.

=================

By trying this step, we can check if the update engines are working properly.

1. Close all instances of Internet Explorer.

2. Click Start and Run, type "Regsvr32 atl.dll" (without quotes) in the Open box and click OK.

Note: There is a space between regsvr32 and atl.dll

3. Similarly, one by one, register the files listed below:

Regsvr32 msxml3.dll

Regsvr32 wuapi.dll

Regsvr32 wuaueng.dll

Regsvr32 wuaueng1.dll

Regsvr32 wups2.dll

Regsvr32 wucltui.dll

Regsvr32 wups.dll

Regsvr32 wuweb.dll

Regsvr32 qmgr.dll

Regsvr32 qmgrprxy.dll

Regsvr32 jscript.dll

Note: If you encounter errors while registering any of these files then skip that file and continue with the next one.

If the issue persists, let's move on to the steps below to verify Windows Update services and temporary folders.

Step 2 Verify the relevant Windows Update services.

=========================================

1. Click Start->Run, type "services.msc" (without quotation marks) in the open box and click OK.

2. Double click the service "Automatic Updates".

3. Click on the Log On tab, please ensure the option "Local System account" is selected and the option "Allow service to interact with desktop" is unchecked.

4. Check if this service has been enabled on the listed Hardware Profile. If not, please click the Enable button to enable it.

5. Click on the tab "General "; make sure the "Startup Type" is "Automatic" or "Manual". Then please click the button "Stop" under "Service Status" to stop the service.

6. Then please click the button "Start" under "Service Status" to start the service.

7. Please repeat the above steps with the other services:

Background Intelligent Transfer Service

Event Log

Remote Procedure Call (RPC)

Note: Event log service is enabled on all of the hardware profiles; this service does not have an option to enable or disable on certain hardware profile.

If it still does not help, let's proceed to step 3.

Step 3 Reload the Update temporary folders.

===================================

One possible cause is that the temporary folder for Windows Update is containing corrupted files. Let's erase all the files there to get the system clean.

1. Click Start, Run, type: cmd and press Enter. Please run the following command in the opened window.

Net stop WuAuServ

2. Click Start, Run, type: %windir% and press Enter.

3. In the opened folder, rename the folder SoftwareDistribution to Sdold.

4. Click Start, Run, type: cmd and press Enter. Please run the following command in the opened window.

Net start WuAuServ

Please test the Windows Update website and let me know the result. If the issue persists, to clarify the issue and provide more accurate troubleshooting steps, please assist me in collecting the following information.

AsRock, Aug 24, 2020
  4. I really need Windows Update to stop disabling user services. Like, really.

Cannot disable services thru MSCONFIG

Hi All
    Cannot get any updates for my windows 10 PC - update service hanging - am now 1 year out of date
    Tried to stop/start Windows Update service but that comes back with 'unable to stop service'
    Suggestion was to try a clean start by disabling non MS services
    Tried this but every time I try to disable the services everything hangs (not responding) and I have to hard reboot the PC. Even tried just disabling a couple of services (printer related) and that froze everything too

Any help really appreciated

stevec 123, Aug 24, 2020
Thema:

I really need Windows Update to stop disabling user services. Like, really.

1. I really need Windows Update to stop disabling user services. Like, really. - Similar Threads - really need Update

2. I really need help

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I really need help: Can anyone help me please I have been struggling with this laptop for over a year I can't turn on my wifi I even bought a USB modem hsdpa to be exact but when I put it in it's says no usim and says authenticating then disconnects can anyone help...
  3. I really need help

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I really need help: Can anyone help me please I have been struggling with this laptop for over a year I can't turn on my wifi I even bought a USB modem hsdpa to be exact but when I put it in it's says no usim and says authenticating then disconnects can anyone help...
  4. I really need help

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. I really need help!

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    I really need help!: Hi everyone, i recently started my laptop and it said that EFI\Microsoft\Boot\BCD Is missing or contains errors. I even tried to boot from usb but that thing still pops up and when i try to boot from CD, my computer restarts and...
  6. I really need this . . .

in Windows 10 Customization
    I really need this . . .: My computer, is a Dell laptop. Running Windows 10 pro, The problem I'm having, is Google. I love it, as a browser! But, what I really like. Is it's, speech recognition. I click, on the microphone. At the end of, search bar. And I can say, anything. It then, display what I...
  7. I really really really need help with this

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    I really really really need help with this: Hey i accidentally switched to a microsoft account instead of local on my laptop (windows 10, im pretty sure its the latest version) and just so happened to turn off my computer some time afterwards but i dont remember my microsoft password, it shows the reset password option...
  8. I really need help

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    I really need help: This is kind of long, but here goes. So one day, I forcefully shut down my PC because my ram was acting up and I blue screened. I shut it down, but when it turned back on, it was saying that it was it was preparing automatic repair, and I thought, ok, whatever, its cool...
  9. I don't really need this

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    I don't really need this: I understand that Microsoft download the Windows 10 update files without PC owners being aware. I am custodian of a laptop belonging to our local U3A. The C disc is not very big and partitioned with windows 7 and windows 8.1 installed. The laptop is used at meetings,...
  10. I really need to literally stop automatic windows updates.

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    I really need to literally stop automatic windows updates.: It's eating my internet quota. Let me update this damn Windows when I'm at work (unmetered connection). Any idea how before I throw in the towel and send hate letter to Microsoft? My situation: This is Windows 10 SL upgraded from Windows 8.1. At home I'm using 3G modem...