Windows 10: I recently changed hardware and did not link my windows to an account, and cannot find a...

Discus and support I recently changed hardware and did not link my windows to an account, and cannot find a... in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; I recently changed some hardware CPU, RAM, Motherboard and didn't link anything to my microsoft account as I had no idea that was a thing that needed... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by Dinonumber, Aug 1, 2020.

1. I recently changed hardware and did not link my windows to an account, and cannot find a...

I recently changed some hardware CPU, RAM, Motherboard and didn't link anything to my microsoft account as I had no idea that was a thing that needed to be done- now I can't seem to activate Windows 10.

I got the free upgrade to 10 and don't have a product key for it. Obviously I don't want to pay for a new copy when I have a legitimate version already.

:)

Dinonumber, Aug 1, 2020
  2. yauyauhin Win User

Still cannot reactivate after hardware change, even though having linked the digital license to the Microsoft account I am now using

Hi,

I have just upgraded my PC, with motherboard, processor and RAM changed, and a new SSD installed.

The SSD is my main drive with a clean install of Windows 10 Pro.

I had searched for method to "migrate" the existing license to my new Windows 10 and found that there is a "digital license" which can be linked to my Microsoft account for reactivation after hardware change.

I then checked if mine has linked, and found that it was already done.

I jotted down the Windows version and my Microsoft account at that time, just in case I'd forget which one I was using.

After the upgrade and Windows clean install to the new SSD, I followed the steps on a Microsoft page to reactivate.

1. In the troubleshooter, select I changed hardware on this device recently, and then select Next.

2. Enter your Microsoft account and password, and then select Sign in.

3. From the list of devices that are linked to your Microsoft account........

Here is where I can stop, because I do not see any list now. What I can see is failed to activate Windows, and said it cannot find any linked Microsoft account, bla bla bla.

Under these lines, there is also a link for me to check all Linked device to my Microsoft account. Interestingly, I cannot see my previous device.

So, may I know what can I do to get my Linked digital license back? Please advice.

yauyauhin, Aug 1, 2020
  3. NicG1 Win User
    Recent Hardware Change

I recently changed some of the hardware in my PC and now my product key isn't active anymore. I have tried the steps that microsoft offers to fix the issue but my PC cannot identify my product key prior to the hardware change. I cannot call microsoft because
    I am living in Japan, and microsoft japan doesn't have an english option. Is there a way to talk to microsoft directly other than the automated chat or the toll line which i cannot call from japan?

NicG1, Aug 1, 2020
  4. Addie Win User

I recently changed hardware and did not link my windows to an account, and cannot find a...

Cannot link/add my Microsoft Account to Local Account

Hello Ken,

Im using Win10 Build 1607 with all latest update.

I also run all related troubleshooters:
    • Windows Update
    • Store Apps (says i have to login in my microsoft account but thats the problem, i can't)
    • Microsoft Accounts

No Problem found. Also the suggestions from Microsoft didnt helped.

Addie, Aug 1, 2020
Thema:

I recently changed hardware and did not link my windows to an account, and cannot find a...

1. I recently changed hardware and did not link my windows to an account, and cannot find a... - Similar Threads - recently changed hardware

2. Did Window movement UI change recently?

in Windows 10 Customization
    Did Window movement UI change recently?: I noticed recently that when I move a window, it shows only a basic black outline instead of the whole UI that I am moving. Did this recently change in Windows?...
  3. So i recently changed my hardware completely and windows will not activate

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    So i recently changed my hardware completely and windows will not activate: I had win 10 education edition , i got it in 2016. i put in the code , it gets accepted , then soon there is an error stating i cant activate windows. any suggestions?...
  4. Cannot change account linked to Onedrive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Cannot change account linked to Onedrive: I have a previous email alias associated with my OneDrive account and my computer will not allow me to change the account to my new email address, without logging onto the old alias first. The problem is that I cant remember the password for it and cannot therefore open...
  5. Recently changed motherboards and cannot find original key

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Recently changed motherboards and cannot find original key: I get the error that the servers are down and get funneled into buying another $200 copy of windows because I can't find my old windows 8 key. I've looked up what it should be in the registry but it appears to be wrong due to either the hardware change or the upgrade path...
  6. Changed hardware recently but windows can't find the activation key

Changed hardware recently but windows can't find the activation key: Hello, I recently changed hardware CPU and motherboard and plugged in my old hard drive which contains a genuine version of windows. In fact, I have the Windows 10 installation cd with me. However, my computer now says that I need to activate this Windows 10 Pro. I don't...
  7. Recently did a large hardware change, having difficulties activating Windows. Anything I...

Recently did a large hardware change, having difficulties activating Windows. Anything I...: Apologies if this has been asked previously. I recently did a major hardware update to my PC, swapping out everything except the power supply and hard drive (the one with Windows on it). I know that changing the motherboard requires reactivating Windows, but none of the...
  8. I recently changed my hardware including my mainboard. However I cannot reactivate Windows...

I recently changed my hardware including my mainboard. However I cannot reactivate Windows...: Hi, I recently changed my machine and swapped out the mainboard. I tried to reactivate windows by using the control panel activation troubleshoot wizard, however it always displays the message: Unable to activate Windows We can’t find any devices linked to your Microsoft...
  9. recent changes on computer I did not make

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    recent changes on computer I did not make: I have Windows 10. I keep having "My Inbox Helper" appear and I did not add this. I have removed it several times now it does not give me the option. Since it appeared I have lost the battery icon in the bottom of my screen that shows how much battery I have left. I have...
  10. Forgot to link my Win10 to my account - Cannot re-activate my Windows after changing Hardware

Forgot to link my Win10 to my account - Cannot re-activate my Windows after changing Hardware: Hello I know this is an well known issue but I could not find an answer which solves my problem. Because I forgot to link the Windows10 key to my account when I first installed it all proposed solutions do not work. It seems there is no possibility to link the key now and I...