Windows 10: I recently changed hardware on this device. (I only added an Intel network adaptor)

Discus and support I recently changed hardware on this device. (I only added an Intel network adaptor) in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Hello. My onboard Ethernet controller just died. I added an Intel NIC, and told Windows to reinstall Windows 10 Pro. I disabled the old onboard... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by Scrotazax, Jul 22, 2019.

1. Scrotazax Win User

I recently changed hardware on this device. (I only added an Intel network adaptor)

Hello.

My onboard Ethernet controller just died. I added an Intel NIC, and told Windows to reinstall Windows 10 Pro. I disabled the old onboard Killer NIC.

Now I'm unable to activate. I have 2 digital Windows 10 versions tied to my account. It says 1/10 licences used.

I see my desktop listed, but it won't reactivate.

I run the activation troubleshooter,

Troubleshooting was completed

You can activate this device by going to the store and purchasing a genuine copy of Windows

or

I recently changed hardware on this device. <-- I click this hyperlink.

The next dialogue window prompts me to reactivate, and detects the desktop I'm using correctly. I tick "This is the device I'm using at the moment" and click "Activate".

Unable to activate Windows​

We can’t reactivate Windows on this device. Try again later.​

You can also activate this device by going to the Store and purchasing a genuine copy of Windows​

Do I seriously have to buy a third copy of Windows because I installed a network adaptor? The Indian gentleman I spoke to when I rang support suggested this was my only option. I was only given a Windows 10 Pro digitally linked to my Microsoft account.

I think the "I recently changed hardware on this device" is broken. All I did was add an Intel NIC, I'm not buying a new OS because of that.

:)

Scrotazax, Jul 22, 2019

2. The Intel 82579LM Gigabit Network Connection Adapter is experiencing driver or hardware related problems

Hi,

Thank you for contacting Microsoft Community. Your interest in Windows 10 is much appreciated.

I suggest you to follow the below methods and check if it helps.

Method 1: I suggest you to run the hardware troubleshooter as below and check if it helps.

• Type in search bar as control panel.
    • Then select troubleshooting.
    • Click on hardware and sound option.
    • Then click on “hardware and devices “and follow the on screen instructions.
    Method 2: I suggest you to uninstall the network drivers as below steps.

• Press Windows+X and select “Device manager”.
    • Then expand the Network adapters.
    • Right click on the driver and uninstall it.
    And then go to the manufacturers website download the network drivers, install it and check if the issue persists.

Hope this information was helpful and do let us know if you need further assistance. We will be glad to assist.

Karthicka_R, Jul 22, 2019
  3. Network adaptor

Hi,

Welcome to Microsoft Community and thank you for your interest in Windows 10.

You may follow the steps provided below and check if it helps to resolve the issue

Windows has a built-in troubleshooter to check and fix issues with Internet connection. I would suggest you to run this troubleshooter to check if the issue is with your internet.

Refer these steps:

• Press Windows key +X, select Control panel
    • Change the view by option on the top right to Large icons
    • Click on troubleshooting and click on the view all option on the left panel
    • Run the Internet Connection troubleshooter

Method 2: Try updating the latest Network Adapter drivers from the manufacturer's website and check if the issue persists.

• Follow the steps to update the Network Adapter drivers:

• Press Windows key + X key and click Device Manager.

• Expand Network Adapter.

• Right-click on the Ethernet and click on Update driver software.

• Restart the computer and check.
    For games I suggest you to disable the proxy settings and then try to download the games.

Hope this information was helpful and do let us know if you need further assistance. We will be glad to assist.

Karthicka_R, Jul 22, 2019
  4. Nosx Win User

I recently changed hardware on this device. (I only added an Intel network adaptor)

Change the way new devices are added to the Devices and Drives list

Hopefully this is in the correct place, but I am sure a mod will move it if it is not so with that being said:

By default, anytime a new devices is added to the system (a phone connected via USB for example) the icon for that device is placed in the first position in the Devices and Drives list under This PC.

This behavior is really annoying because it pushes all the other icons that were already in the list to the next position in the list which totally messes with my muscle memory when navigating within the folder.

A simple fix for this issue is to make it so that any device added to the system is added to the END of the list as is shown in the attached image and the way it was done in previous versions of Windows. This way, all icons stay in their default position in the list and all is well in the universe.

The question of course is how to achieve the desired result either by some registry hack or by changing some hidden menu setting from explorer or some other method entirely.

This is where you fine folks come in with your infinite wisdom to save the day and I thank you for your time and replies in advance.

I recently changed hardware on this device. (I only added an Intel network adaptor) [​IMG]

(The default view before any device is added to the system ... homeostasis achieved)

I recently changed hardware on this device. (I only added an Intel network adaptor) [​IMG]

(After a device has been added to the system.... Annoying +1)

(Desired result .... Peace on Earth)

Thema:

1. I recently changed hardware on this device. (I only added an Intel network adaptor) - Similar Threads - recently changed hardware

2. Network adaptors

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Network adaptors: I have a surface 3 laptop running on windows 10 with wifi modem.Suddenly stopped working with message ‘No internet detected’. Toggled power on laptop and modem, no joy. wifi is fine on other devices so no issues with wifi as such. Advised to install a wifi usb which got me...
  3. Network adaptors

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Network adaptors: I have a surface 3 laptop running on windows 10 with wifi modem.Suddenly stopped working with message ‘No internet detected’. Toggled power on laptop and modem, no joy. wifi is fine on other devices so no issues with wifi as such. Advised to install a wifi usb which got me...
  4. Network adaptors

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. I accidentally 'replaced' my Intel Display Adaptor from Device Manager

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    I accidentally 'replaced' my Intel Display Adaptor from Device Manager: I accidentally uninstalled my Intel Display Adaptor from Device Manager and it can't be detected anymore from the system and it's not in the unknown devices. My device is Lenovo Legion Y520.Intel Core i7-7700HQ 6M Cache, 2.8 up to 3.80 GHzGraphics NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 1050...
  6. Network adaptor

Network adaptor: Hello i am trying to reinstall my network adpotor for my windows 10 pc. I just got this pc and i was trying to figure out why i could not connect to internet when i Deleted my network adpotor. When ever i try to do a hardware scan it does not pop up again. Please someone...
  7. network adaptors

network adaptors: i have just installed a usb network adaptor on my pc can i link the pc adaptor to the usb adaptor to boost signal https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/network-adaptors/543b3297-9579-4534-b667-70621a16baaf
  8. i recently changed hardware and i cant activate windows 10

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    i recently changed hardware and i cant activate windows 10: so i recently just changed hardware on my computer and i have that annoying "activate windows" watermark i have tried going into the settings and troubleshooting it and all it says is "we weren't able to activate windows on this device" and then there's a button at the...
  9. Network Device that I havent seen or added

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Network Device that I havent seen or added: Its titled Amazon i have nothing amazon and its got a mac address model number of KFSUWI but i cant access it. whys it on my network is it a hacker?...
  10. Another 'No Intel[R] Network Adaptor Present', but with a twist

Another 'No Intel[R] Network Adaptor Present', but with a twist: Hello, This is the basic history of events: Yesterday, my existing motherboard failed -an old Gigabyte GA-EP35-DS3L variant, running a Core2Duo E8400. I researched and bought a Gigabyte GA-H270-HD5, with an Intel G4650 CPU & 4GB RAM. After setting the hardware up, I...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. i changed hardware on this device recently

2. i changed hardware on this device recently device not recognized