Windows 10: I recently changed my hdd to ssd and installed the OS in it. The hard disk still has old os...

Discus and support I recently changed my hdd to ssd and installed the OS in it. The hard disk still has old os... in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; I recently changed my hdd to ssd and installed the OS in it. The hard disk remains as it is. It can be used normally but it still has the files from... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by RajarshiRoy4, May 25, 2023.

1. I recently changed my hdd to ssd and installed the OS in it. The hard disk still has old os...

I recently changed my hdd to ssd and installed the OS in it. The hard disk remains as it is. It can be used normally but it still has the files from the old windows. I tried opening the user folders but they don't open even after i give permission as admin. I tried changing access but its taking too long. is there any other way to recover those files and delete the old windows files? the hdd is a different drive from the ssd.

:)

RajarshiRoy4, May 25, 2023

2. Move OS to SSD leave data in HDD

To do so, follow the steps below:

Step 1.
    Clone OS to SSD

Step 2. Enter into BIOS and set the SSD as the first boot disk.

Step 3. Change the old drive to D:\ (you'd better do a disk backup of the old drive in adavance).

Hope my answer will give you a hand.

Paper Plane-4567, May 25, 2023
  3. IcyTruth Win User
    Cloned OS to SSD want to delete old OS on hdd

Not sure if this was answered(cant find 1) but recently cloned windows 10 from HDD to SSD. My HDD was setup as GPT and the partition was setup with the OS as almost the full 1tb size. I had and currently have alot of used space that i dont wanna lose if
    it can be avoided. The whole cloning process was a pain having to move stuff to the ssd then partition the empty space on hdd the move stuff to the new partition until I had less than 200g with the OS still there so I can clone it onto ssd after cleaning
    it. Os works fine(windows loads sooo much faster) old hdd works fine but wanna get rid of the old os on hdd without deleting anything else? Sorry so long and sadly I merged the partitions back to 1.

IcyTruth, May 25, 2023
  4. I recently changed my hdd to ssd and installed the OS in it. The hard disk still has old os...

Clean install of windows 11 on SSD (current OS on HDD)

I am planing to install a SSD in my laptop, which already has HDD. laptop support SSD and HDD together. The currest OS on the HDD and i want to do a fresh install on the SSD, Please can anyone write a step by step guide on what to do, i am not confident on this.

Tenzin Kalden, May 25, 2023
Thema:

I recently changed my hdd to ssd and installed the OS in it. The hard disk still has old os...

1. I recently changed my hdd to ssd and installed the OS in it. The hard disk still has old os... - Similar Threads - recently changed hdd

2. Installing OS on new SSD after old HDD got corrupted

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Installing OS on new SSD after old HDD got corrupted: HP Compaq https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/installing-os-on-new-ssd-after-old-hdd-got/e65c28bd-dc05-4cfa-aced-1579cbe32039
  3. Installing OS on new SSD after old HDD got corrupted

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Installing OS on new SSD after old HDD got corrupted: HP Compaq https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/installing-os-on-new-ssd-after-old-hdd-got/e65c28bd-dc05-4cfa-aced-1579cbe32039
  4. Installing OS on new SSD after old HDD got corrupted

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. I recently changed my hdd to ssd and installed the OS in it. The hard disk still has old os...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I recently changed my hdd to ssd and installed the OS in it. The hard disk still has old os...: I recently changed my hdd to ssd and installed the OS in it. The hard disk remains as it is. It can be used normally but it still has the files from the old windows. I tried opening the user folders but they don't open even after i give permission as admin. I tried changing...
  6. I recently changed my hdd to ssd and installed the OS in it. The hard disk still has old os...

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    I recently changed my hdd to ssd and installed the OS in it. The hard disk still has old os...: I recently changed my hdd to ssd and installed the OS in it. The hard disk remains as it is. It can be used normally but it still has the files from the old windows. I tried opening the user folders but they don't open even after i give permission as admin. I tried changing...
  7. Remove OS from OLD Hard Disk Drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Remove OS from OLD Hard Disk Drive: Hello, I installed an SSD on my Laptop. I did a fresh install of Windows 10 on the SSD and formatted the old HDD, but somehow when I boot up my laptop it still goes to the Windows Boot Manager asking which operating system to use. I probably made a mistake because the HDD...
  8. OS from HDD to SSD

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    OS from HDD to SSD: I’m trying to migrate my operating system from the HDD to SSD however when I choose, which one I want it to go to( the ssd) it says cannot use source disk. This doesn’t make any sense because windows folder is clearly on the HDD and I use the HDD as a boot drive so I can not...
  9. Cloned OS to SSD want to delete old OS on hdd

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Cloned OS to SSD want to delete old OS on hdd: Not sure if this was answered(cant find 1) but recently cloned windows 10 from HDD to SSD. My HDD was setup as GPT and the partition was setup with the OS as almost the full 1tb size. I had and currently have alot of used space that i dont wanna lose if it can be avoided....
  10. Added SSD for OS only but PC still trying to boot from old HDD

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Added SSD for OS only but PC still trying to boot from old HDD: Hey, So I've recently bought an SSD Drive soley for the purpose of running Windows. The original Hard Drive was a 2TB Samsung drive that I have since formatted and using for Storage only. Installed Windows 10 on the SSD and the machine is working great, boots up in aound...