Windows 10: I recently noticed my laptop is taking well over 5 min to boot up and I've tried everything

Discus and support I recently noticed my laptop is taking well over 5 min to boot up and I've tried everything in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Hi I just started noticing in the past 3-4 weeks that my laptop is taking forever to boot. It varies everyday which screens it lags on more than... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by L+A, Apr 18, 2021.

1. L+A
    L+A Win User

I recently noticed my laptop is taking well over 5 min to boot up and I've tried everything

Hi

I just started noticing in the past 3-4 weeks that my laptop is taking forever to boot. It varies everyday which screens it lags on more than others but once it gets to loading the desktop, it always takes a couple of mins after that for the taskbar buttons to finally load.

I don't see how to paste images of system specs or device windows to show what things look like so I'll have to type everything out. Here are my specs:

HP 650-G1

INTEL Core i5-4310 CPU 2.70 GHz

RAM 8GB 7.9 GB usable

64 bit operating system

Windows 10 Pro

Windows C: drive 404 GB free of 465 GB

I run malware and antivirus weekly - no issues. I've run chkdsk twice, no issues were found either time. I've run sfc three times now. The first time problems were found and fixed. No issues were found the second 2 times.

Startup programs have always been the same since I got this laptop and wish I knew how to load a screen shot of that window but the only 3 enabled on startup are: QLBcontroller, Avast AvLaunch component and Windows security notification icon.

I've done disk cleanup. Defragmenting happens weekly - and again wish I knew how to capture that window on here - but the Windows C: drive is OK 0% fragmented and the System HDD has been saying needs optimization 14% fragmented but each time I try optimizing, nothing changes.

I've checked the graphics driver and it's up to date.

I've tried checking and unchecking fast startup recommended, and rebooted each time but that doesn't change anything.

I wish I knew how to show the update history here in case that's important...there were updates on 10MAR21 and one on 11MAR which is maybe around when this started happening but maybe it didn't start until a week or two after that.

I even looked at the task manager/performance/memory tab and I don't think there's anything wrong there but I could be wrong.

Once it is finally 100% booted it seems to work fine.

Anyway, that's all I can remember right now...I may have tried other things that will come to me later.

I'm not super computer savvy, clearly, but I know the basics. I can't afford to take my laptop in to be fixed so hoping someone on here can help!

Thanks

:)

2. Andywt Win User

Windows 10 24GB and SSD takes 5 minutes to Boot

My i5 desktop Windows 10 Pro is taking over 5 minutes to boot--with a SSD. I have run the xBootMgr profile and it shows winlogon.exe starts immediately and for 2.50 min of the 5.83 min boot time, there is nothing--other process or disk activity going on during this period. Any suggestions has to how to determine what winlogon is waiting for?

I recently noticed my laptop is taking well over 5 min to boot up and I've tried everything ioVKD.png

Andywt, Apr 18, 2021
  3. ram93 Win User
    laptop doesnt boot automatically

This is what happened.

1. Did a repair install and later disabled hibertnate in CMD.
    2. Enabled legacy option ROM in BIOS.
    3. After a few times startup ( i used the system in such mode for 5 days), changed boot option back to default.
    4. Vola!! It boots automatically to win10 without any keypress. Tested it with many starts to confirm the same.
    5. Re-enabled hibernate option using CMD and later selected Fast Startup.
    6. System booted normally, without the need for any keypress.

I do not know exactly whether such steps resolved the problem or what else happened, hence cannot suggest above steps.

Many thanks to all members who helped to troubleshoot problems.

ram93, Apr 18, 2021
  4. frozensun Win User

I recently noticed my laptop is taking well over 5 min to boot up and I've tried everything

booting up on my laptop became very slow (SSD)

Hi guys.
    On my laptop Zenbook UX31A booting up Windows sometimes is painful slow.
    It takes almost 5 min,like it's HDD not SSD to boot up to desktop.
    What would be my first step to troubleshoot this issue?
    SSD is size 114 GB and 42 GB is free.
    Thank you.

frozensun, Apr 18, 2021
Thema:

1. I recently noticed my laptop is taking well over 5 min to boot up and I've tried everything - Similar Threads - recently noticed laptop

2. Recently when my laptop wakes up, the display takes 4 to 5 minutes to turn on!

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Recently when my laptop wakes up, the display takes 4 to 5 minutes to turn on!: After I updated my windows 10 cumulative update, display driver and some other network drivers a few days ago, I faced this problem which is annoying a lot. I put my laptop on sleep and after a couple of minutes I opened the lid of it and started a timer waiting for display...
  3. How much Time should Shut Down Take? Well, in my case, it's taking over 2 mins!!

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How much Time should Shut Down Take? Well, in my case, it's taking over 2 mins!!: So,I am running Windows 11Shut Down used to take less than 10 secs on windows 11. but i don't know what happened but now it's taking more than 2 minutes!Take a Look :- https://www.dropbox.com/s/449375xqi8bwexz/VID_20220515_210318.mp4?dl=0...
  4. How much Time should Shut Down Take? Well, in my case, it's taking over 2 mins!!

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How much Time should Shut Down Take? Well, in my case, it's taking over 2 mins!!: So,I am running Windows 11Shut Down used to take less than 10 secs on windows 11. but i don't know what happened but now it's taking more than 2 minutes!Take a Look :- https://www.dropbox.com/s/449375xqi8bwexz/VID_20220515_210318.mp4?dl=0...
  5. No internet, I've tried everything

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    No internet, I've tried everything: (Toshiba satellite c55t-c) yesterday I was updating to version 2009, got to 2004 all was fine, then 2009. No internet on wifi or ethernet. Other devices work fine so it's not my router. I reverted back to 2004 but I still have no internet. I've gone into cmd and tried every...
  6. I've tried everything I can

in Windows 10 Customization
    I've tried everything I can: I have looked on multiple threads trying to fix this but they don't work. There is a search bar at the top of my screen and it isn't part of a 3rd party software I've searched for it already. and I don't know what to do. Please help it is driving me insane.[ATTACH]...
  7. What does this mean? I've also noticed sometimes the laptop takes long to boot also

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    What does this mean? I've also noticed sometimes the laptop takes long to boot also: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/MarcoTronci [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/jfm25f/what_does_this_mean_ive_also_noticed_sometimes/
  8. Win10 PC 'Restart' boot-up takes in excess 5 mins plus.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Win10 PC 'Restart' boot-up takes in excess 5 mins plus.: Restart boot-up takes in excess of 5 mins plus, with the cycling dots only showing at bottom of screen. Also: I lose my network connections which I have to Troubleshoot to re-establish after every Restart. Windows Defender Firewall is lost and I have to Reset to Default...
  9. booting up takes 4-5 minutes

in Windows 10 Customization
    booting up takes 4-5 minutes: After installing windows 10 booting up takes at least 4-5 minutes which is frustrating. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/booting-up-takes-4-5-minutes/c6e90396-8c19-442f-b455-15a3aa72d7d0
  10. Laptop not booting up (no fan as well)

in Windows 10 Support
    Laptop not booting up (no fan as well): Hello, a sony vaio laptop from 2011 just stopped working. It was on sleep mode and I tried to open it but nothing happened. The fan, the monitor and the hdd are not turning on. The cpu is working as it gets hot. The cdrom is also opening if pressed. I tried to connect to an...