Windows 10: I reset BIOS SATA setting to ACHI and now can't return to RAID

Discus and support I reset BIOS SATA setting to ACHI and now can't return to RAID in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I somehow reset my BIOS when inserting a new graphics card. My system drive is an SDD whilst I also have two HDDs connected to the motherboard which... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by THX1138, Jan 20, 2018.

1. THX1138 Win User

I reset BIOS SATA setting to ACHI and now can't return to RAID

I somehow reset my BIOS when inserting a new graphics card. My system drive is an SDD whilst I also have two HDDs connected to the motherboard which are supposed to be in RAID 0. I reconfigured my BIOS the best I could from memory and when I loaded Windows, my RAID was missing. I found a setting in the BIOS called the SATA configuration which is selectable between AHCI (default) and RAID. I presume that it was set to RAID previously in order for the HDDs to be in RAID 0 configuration so I set the SATA configuration to RAID. After doing this, Windows would no longer boot. I recall Windows having a hangup about this setting and it occurs to me that maybe Windows is okay if the setting changes from RAID to AHCI but changes itself when it detects this change and then refuses to go in the opposite direction after the setting is changed back. Does anyone know if this might be the case?

:)

THX1138, Jan 20, 2018

2. Windows 10 upgrade from Windows 7 Home Premium on SSD, now drive not recognized

I never had any issues throughout the Beta's and the Release and now the November Update to build 10586 on my Samsung 850 Pro SSD. In the BIOS do you have it set to ACHI from SATA/IDE mode? Maybe your system doesn't support ACHI?

Thanks,

Daniel

Triple Helix, Jan 20, 2018
  3. GeorgeV1 Win User
    INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE

I have an alienware 15 r2 falmost 4 months now and i have experience many blue screens of desath ! After i cleaned installed th windows 10 home a week ago to recover from a previous bsod all were working normally ! Until today that another bsod appeared
    with the message inaccessible windows device. I tried th solution with the command line dism bht it doesnt work . Have u any shggestions please ??? Ty very much .

Specs : windows 10 home 64-bit

gt970m nvidia and intel hd intergrated

ssd nvme 225gb hybrid with 1 tb hdd

UPDATE

I changed the SATA operation setting in BIOS enviroment from RAID to ACHI and the computer booted normally this time, but i have the following problems. My BIOS SATA operation was preset on RAID and it worked fine so i would like to change it back to from
    ACHI and make my PC working again, my boot time is somehow slower, i noticed when the problem happened that my BIOS time was changed into a random time and i saw that INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE stopcode can be caused in raid systems from a CMOS problem. Please
    help cause i really want to go back to RAID mode and boot from there normally

GeorgeV1, Jan 20, 2018
  4. f14tomcat Win User

Not familiar with your MB, but you should have an option in BIOS to reset to factory defaults. On the odd chance you do not, popping the CMOS battery and reinserting will also reset. Copy down all the current settings first, so at least you have a return point. Only thing I can think of now.

f14tomcat, Jan 20, 2018
  5. THX1138 Win User
    Thanks but unfortunately, resetting the BIOS is how I got into this situation so I don't see how it could help. Resetting the BIOS will change the SATA setting to AHCI but I've already done that so I can type this message. It won't get me any closer to recovering my RAID 0!

THX1138, Jan 20, 2018
  6. I haven't found any definitive statement saying that Windows can't handle RAID->AHCI->RAID. I tried this on my system and get the INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE error when going from RAID->AHCI and from AHCI->RAID.

However, in both cases booting to safe mode and then rebooting back into normal mode fixes the issue.

PolarNettles, Jan 20, 2018
  7. Kbird Win User
    Windows 10 is pretty forgiving if you go through Safe Mode as 'Nettles said

If you already installed under RAID, you can change to AHCI with Win 10. ( and visa versa)

• In Win 10, do a safemode boot by going to run (Win Key+R) => type msconfig.exe and choose => boot => safe boot.
    • On the reboot, hit F2 or Delete and go into Bios ( before Safe Mode ) and change to AHCI/RAID as needed.
    • Then boot into Safemode and let Win10 load the default MS drivers automatically.
    • Open msconfig as as above change back to normal boot, then reboot.
    • Win10 will once again load the AHCI/RAID Drivers as needed automatically ( may need a reboot
    • Then install the Intel RST Driver or Samsung NVMe driver if needed.

Kbird, Jan 20, 2018
  8. THX1138 Win User

Thanks, guys; restarting in safemode and switching the setting during the reboot (and then rebooting back into normal mode) fixed it! My life has improved 7%! <3

THX1138, Jan 20, 2018
  9. Kbird Win User
    only 7% ? *Smile rough week ?

thanks for reporting back ....

KB.

Kbird, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. I reset BIOS SATA setting to ACHI and now can't return to RAID - Similar Threads - reset BIOS SATA

2. Switched To Raid from ACHI as curiosity and now my pc won’t boot into Windows 10 ANYBODY...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Switched To Raid from ACHI as curiosity and now my pc won’t boot into Windows 10 ANYBODY...: So basically what happened was I wanted better performance for my PC and clicked on EZ Tuning Wizard which than prompts me with “Do you want to enable RAID” I clicked yes and then the problems began. After clicking yes my PC turned black and went back into BIOS which I was...
  3. Had to reset bios settings and now windows can't recognize TPM

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Had to reset bios settings and now windows can't recognize TPM: Due to a problem that happened, I had to reset BIOS settings. Now even after enabling TPM in BIOS Windows 11 still doesn't recognize TPM. I searched for TPM in device manager and it doesn't even appear. Windows security now keeps telling me there is no TPM....
  4. Had to reset bios settings and now windows can't recognize TPM

Had to reset bios settings and now windows can't recognize TPM: Due to a problem that happened, I had to reset BIOS settings. Now even after enabling TPM in BIOS Windows 11 still doesn't recognize TPM. I searched for TPM in device manager and it doesn't even appear. Windows security now keeps telling me there is no TPM....
  5. Standart Sata Achi drivers

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Standart Sata Achi drivers: Hi! Recently Standart ACHI driver just dissapeard from my pc. Now HDDs work with RAID only. How i can restore ACHI mode? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/standart-sata-achi-drivers/ea9e6f66-1044-457d-a16c-57db21b17fd2
  6. Standart Sata Achi drivers

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Standart Sata Achi drivers: Hi! Recently Standart ACHI driver just dissapeard from my pc. Now HDDs work with RAID only. How i can restore ACHI mode? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/standart-sata-achi-drivers/ea9e6f66-1044-457d-a16c-57db21b17fd2
  7. Standart Sata Achi drivers

8. BIOS reset setting

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    BIOS reset setting: Hello, I recently gave my brother my laptop for like 2 years and he changed a lot of things in the BIOS and I don't feel comfortable with them and I want to go back but I don't remember which were the default settings (the laptop is a HP 14-r203ns) so I wonder if it were like...
  9. Can't Change ACHI settings on HP Laptop

Can't Change ACHI settings on HP Laptop: Hi all. As usual I'm late to the party but finally upgraded to a 500 GB Samsung EVO 850 last night. The process was painless. I used Macrium to image the old drive, partitions and all, and it was a simple matter of restoring the images to the new drive. Took less...
  10. Adding a SATA RAID card

Adding a SATA RAID card: I'm wondering if I've made a schoolboy error here... I'm trying to add more disks to my desktop and have run out of SATA ports the motherboard has 6. I've just added a SATA RAID card (Semlos 4 Ports PCI Sata Internal Raid Controller Card Sil3114 Chipset with 2 Sata...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows cannot perform normal boot with RAID set in bios