Windows 10: i restarted my laptop and file explorer, ms paint, etc. are broken :'(

Discus and support i restarted my laptop and file explorer, ms paint, etc. are broken :'( in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; this is gonna be hard to explain. i'm so sorry i couldn't include my version number, i tried getting it but it didn't show up. this really sucks, and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by ForbiddenPncake, Jul 21, 2020.

1. i restarted my laptop and file explorer, ms paint, etc. are broken :'(

this is gonna be hard to explain. i'm so sorry i couldn't include my version number, i tried getting it but it didn't show up.
    this really sucks, and i need help fixing it. i've restarted my laptop a few times now, and nothing's happened. imma put a few screenshots here, just so you know what's happening (it's a bit hard to describe). it's happening mostly in File Explorer, Wordpad, Microsoft Paint, that kinda stuff.

i restarted my laptop and file explorer, ms paint, etc. are broken :'( [​IMG]

i restarted my laptop and file explorer, ms paint, etc. are broken :'( [​IMG]

uh, so, this is REALLY annoying, and preventing me from getting things done.

please, if you have any advice, lemme know. ;-;

:)

ForbiddenPncake, Jul 21, 2020
  2. cereberus Win User

MS Paint Recent Files

Here s a partial solution. Works for Windows 10 as well.

Paint - Delete Recent Pictures from List in Windows - Windows 7 Help Forums

This will clear it but of not disable list ie you would have to do again later etc.

cereberus, Jul 21, 2020
  3. MS Paint not working

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

We understand the concern as you are unable to use Microsoft Paint on your PC. In order to get clarity and to assist you accordingly, please reply with the answers to the questions below:

• What is the Version and Build of Windows 10 installed on the PC? (Type
      winver in Windows search/Run command)
    • Are you aware of any changes on the PC prior to this issue?

In this scenario, we would suggest you to check if you are able to launch Microsoft Paint from System32 folder.

1. Press Windows + E key to open
      File/Windows Explorer

2. Navigate to C:\Windows\System32
    3. Double click on mspaint.exe
    4. If you are able to launch then Pin to Taskbar and
      create a shortcut.

If the issue persists then try these steps.

Step 1: Run DISM & SFC scan

We would also suggest you to run the DISM & SFC Scan tool to check if you are able to launch MS Paint, refer this article:
    System File Checker.

Step 2: Reinstall Microsoft Paint app.

1. Press Windows + I key to open
      Settings
    2. Click on Apps and select
      Apps & features
      from left pane.
    3. Click on Optional features and select
      Microsoft Paint from the list.
    4. Click on Uninstall. Close
      Settings
      and restart the PC.
    5. Now perform step 1 and 2.
    6. Click on Optional features and click
      Add a feature.
    7. Check the box beside Microsoft Paint and click on
      Install.

Let us know the results. If the issue persists, we will certainly assist you further.

Aditya Roy

Microsoft Community – Moderator

Aditya_Roy, Jul 21, 2020
  4. i restarted my laptop and file explorer, ms paint, etc. are broken :'(

ms Paint

Hi,

There are several ways to remove MS Paint. Let's try deleting the app from its file location. Follow the steps below:

• Type mspaint.exe in the search bar.
    • Right-click on mspaint.exe, and select Open file location.
    • Press Delete on your keyboard.
    • Follow the next instructions to remove the program.
    Let us know if you need anything else. We're here to help.

Martin Bar, Jul 21, 2020
Thema:

i restarted my laptop and file explorer, ms paint, etc. are broken :'(

1. i restarted my laptop and file explorer, ms paint, etc. are broken :'( - Similar Threads - restarted laptop file

2. File explorer is broken

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File explorer is broken: Every time file explorer is opened, the program freezes. Specific symptoms:"Saving As" in any software brings up the file explorer window that freezes for several seconds.Right clicking on desktop crashes Explorer, the taskbar stops working, everything resets.Opening up a...
  3. File explorer is broken

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    File explorer is broken: Every time file explorer is opened, the program freezes. Specific symptoms:"Saving As" in any software brings up the file explorer window that freezes for several seconds.Right clicking on desktop crashes Explorer, the taskbar stops working, everything resets.Opening up a...
  4. File explorer is broken

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. top pane of some windows apps windows explorer, ms paint, etc. are fully transparent

in Windows 10 Gaming
    top pane of some windows apps windows explorer, ms paint, etc. are fully transparent: this happens to apps that are supposed to have the translucent effect once you turn them on in the accessibility settings or color settings in personalisation...
  6. top pane of some windows apps windows explorer, ms paint, etc. are fully transparent

top pane of some windows apps windows explorer, ms paint, etc. are fully transparent: this happens to apps that are supposed to have the translucent effect once you turn them on in the accessibility settings or color settings in personalisation...
  7. MS Paint Causing Computer to Restart

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    MS Paint Causing Computer to Restart: My computer updated this morning. Now, when I'm in MS Paint not 3D and I go to format page, my computer crashes and restarts. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/ms-paint-causing-computer-to-restart/2c469813-c9df-490a-b184-63ff735bfb2f
  8. File Explorer is Broken

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File Explorer is Broken: [ATTACH] Whenever I go into File Explorer this happens, and everything is invisible or covering other things I am trying to get to. What's happening? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-explorer-is-broken/8ce54f11-9912-4437-b800-70efda655e48
  9. MS Paint Recent Files

MS Paint Recent Files: MS Paint keeps showing the last 9 files which were opened. Is there a way so that when I close the Paint, these files could automatically removed. I do not want to make a new user. Or if there is any other free program which is like MS Paint but have option to not to show...
  10. File Explorer Broken

in Windows 10 Support
    File Explorer Broken: Company purchased two new Dell machines with windows 10 pro installed. Did the gamut of prepping them with getting them joined to our domain network, installing office 2013, AV etc. etc. Both machines worked fine. One client machine has SQL Express installed in order to...