Windows 10: I run extended desktop, but switch that monitor to another PC and...

Discus and support I run extended desktop, but switch that monitor to another PC and... in Windows 10 Graphic Cards to solve the problem; the extended desktop running app is dead to me, I cant retrieve it, it is set to show on the extended desktop. How can I move it back to the non... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Graphic Cards' started by sdowney717, Oct 30, 2020.

1. I run extended desktop, but switch that monitor to another PC and...

the extended desktop running app is dead to me, I cant retrieve it, it is set to show on the extended desktop. How can I move it back to the non extended desktop??? I was hoping to be able to right click the icon on taskbar and say move right. So close it and open it, it will continue to be pegged to the extended desktop, and I can not see it.

Right now, I have to find the remote, and flip the HDMI source of the display back to the other PC, then drag it back over.

windows 2H20 2HO2 absolute latest relaese

- - - Updated - - -

I just did reboot, and it remembers which monitor the app was running on. With the input selection on the monitor set to a different input. Maybe if extended monitor is unplugged, it will jump back over?
    How about if extended monitor is turned off?

:)

sdowney717, Oct 30, 2020

2. extending monitors

Hello,

I hope I can help you today

solote allow two monitors but here I leave this possible solution

Step 1

Connect a monitor to the normal video card, using the necessary cable (DVI, VGA or HDMI). This will be the main screen, so place it directly in front of your computer's cabinet.

Step 2

Connect the second monitor to the alternative port of the video card, and then restart the computer. The PC will automatically detect the second monitor.

Step 3

Go to the "Show options" window by right clicking on the desktop, then select the "Properties" option. From there, click on the second monitor (which will appear in the drop-down menu), and then activate the "Extend my desktop on this screen" checkbox.

Step 4

Connect the third monitor to your original video card (if it has three outputs) or to another video card, and then restart the computer one more time.

Step 5

Go to the "Show options" window by right clicking on the desktop, then select the "Properties" option. From there, click on the third monitor (which will appear in the drop-down menu), and then activate the "Extend my desktop to this screen" checkbox

regards...

MiguelChiappori, Oct 30, 2020
  3. Trouble with 2 monitors

Hi Tim,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

I suggest you to change the settings to Extended Monitor and check if it helps.

Please follow below steps:

• Right Click any ware of the Desktop, and launch Personalization.
    • Go to dual monitor settings under personalization, and change it Extended Monitor.
    Please get back to us for future support, we’ll be glad to assist you further.

Thank you.

Prabhavathi Patil, Oct 30, 2020
  4. Swapna S Win User

I run extended desktop, but switch that monitor to another PC and...

Desktop shortcuts appear on external monitor instead of pc

Hi,

I will certainly help you with the issue you are experiencing in getting
    desktop shortcuts on your PC from External monitor.

This issue might occur due to default settings where you are not able to view the desktop shortcuts on the PC, you are looking for.

Before proceeding further, I would like to ask few questions for better assistance:

• Which edition of Windows are you working with?
    Please follow below mentioned steps to fix the issue:

• Plug in the second monitor which physically sits to the left of your primary screen

• Right click the desktop, choose
      Graphic Options>Output To>Extended Desktop> Built-in display + Monitor.

• Extended desktop enabled, but screen 2 (on the left) can only be accessed by moving the cursor to the right.

• Right click the desktop and choose
      Graphic Properties - choose 'Multiple Displays' from the side menu.

• Move monitor 2 from its default
      'Right' side to the left – all the icons go with it
      to screen 2 but the taskbar stays on the primary monitor.

• Click 'Apply' to accept this (temporarily) - close the
      'properties' window.

• Right Click the desktop, but this time choose
      'Screen Resolution'. Ensure that screen 2 is to the left - if not, move it.

• Click on screen 1 and ensure it says
      'This is currently your main display'

• Click on screen 2 and tick the box that says
      'Make this my main display' - the taskbar should move to screen 2.

• Finally click on Screen 1 again and tick the box that says
      'Make this my main display' - the taskbar and
      all the icons should move back to screen 1.
    I would like to Inform/suggest, Press the
    Windows key + P, and then choose a way to project:

• PC screen only
      – All your desktop shortcuts will be seen only on primary monitor/Desktop.

• Duplicate- Desktop Shortcuts that is on primary monitor/Desktop will replicate on Secondary monitor too.

• Extend- Primary monitor will be extended to Secondary monitor. But all the desktop shortcuts will appear only on primary monitor. (If you want to have the desktop
      shortcuts that’s on primary monitor on secondary monitor, you can just drag the shortcuts from primary to secondary monitor and check if that helps).

• Second screen only- All your desktop shortcuts will be seen only on Secondary monitor/Desktop.
    Please get back to us, if you still facing issue
    in getting desktop shortcuts on your PC from External monitor.

Thank you.

Swapna S, Oct 30, 2020
Thema:

I run extended desktop, but switch that monitor to another PC and...

1. I run extended desktop, but switch that monitor to another PC and... - Similar Threads - run extended desktop

2. Can switch to, but not extend or duplicate to external monitor

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can switch to, but not extend or duplicate to external monitor: I have a brand new ThinkPad X1 Yoga Gen 8 laptop and it's connected to a brand new ThinkPad Universal USB-C Dock v2 and i'm having a strange issue.Without the dock it connects to and extends to/duplicates to my external monitor just fine.When I use the dock, it won't extend...
  3. Can switch to, but not extend or duplicate to external monitor

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can switch to, but not extend or duplicate to external monitor: I have a brand new ThinkPad X1 Yoga Gen 8 laptop and it's connected to a brand new ThinkPad Universal USB-C Dock v2 and i'm having a strange issue.Without the dock it connects to and extends to/duplicates to my external monitor just fine.When I use the dock, it won't extend...
  4. Monitor as Extended Desktop?

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Monitor as Extended Desktop?: Greetings all, I found a computer that I didn't know I had........hummnn.......It has an ASUS motherboard, win 7, 32bit, as an OS............There is on-board video (PCI type port) which works fine utilizing the typical port (PCI?) from the motherboard. 1).....I want to...
  5. Prevent extended desktop from switching while I switch main desktop

in Windows 10 Customization
    Prevent extended desktop from switching while I switch main desktop: Is there a way to prevent my extended desktop from switching when I use switch a different desktop using gestures or otherwise. What I want is for my extended desktop to keep the application on the screen while I switch between desktops on the main screen, you can say kind of...
  6. Microsoft Edge on Extended Desktop Monitor 2

in Windows 10 Customization
    Microsoft Edge on Extended Desktop Monitor 2: I have a laptop w/2 monitors, total of 3. I've been using Edge for almost a year, it was on one of my extended monitors and stayed there, always opened up on this monitor. Now, after some update, or something, it opens up on the other extended monitor. Each time I boot up and...
  7. Extended Desktop mouse bug on multiple monitors

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Extended Desktop mouse bug on multiple monitors: Hello, When using multiple monitors with Windows 10, there is a bug on extended desktop: the mouse pointer does not pass from one monitor to another if it is on the top or bottom of the screen. If it is a few pixels down from the top, there is no problem. The bug is...
  8. When I boot my PC, I have to manually extend desktop to 2nd monitor

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    When I boot my PC, I have to manually extend desktop to 2nd monitor: no Signal on 1st desktop while boot. what should i do with this problem ? how can windows do this automatically? and can i change my pc monitor to desktop 1 ? because when i Identify display in Settings my pc monitor detected as desktop 2 [ATTACH] 122440
  9. When I boot my PC, I have to manually extend desktop to 2nd monitor

in Windows 10 Support
    When I boot my PC, I have to manually extend desktop to 2nd monitor: no Signal on 1st desktop while boot. what should i do with this problem ? how can windows do this automatically? and can i change my pc monitor to desktop 1 ? because when i Identify display in Settings my pc monitor detected as desktop 2 [ATTACH] 122440
  10. stop auto-switching to another desktop

in Windows 10 Support
    stop auto-switching to another desktop: hi, i have desktop 1 and desktop 2 i have 2 excel files in desktop 1 and 1 excel file in desktop 2 i open another excel file in desktop 1 so there would now be 2 excel file open in desktop 1 then when i close 1 excel file in desktop 1 it will automatically switch to an...