Windows 10: I see my D drive, but I cannot open it and forces me to format it.

Discus and support I see my D drive, but I cannot open it and forces me to format it. in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; So about a month ago, my computer randomly was missing the D drive, and I couldn't find it for weeks. Then about 2 weeks ago, it suddenly pops up back... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by AsiianPleb, Jan 9, 2020.

1. I see my D drive, but I cannot open it and forces me to format it.

So about a month ago, my computer randomly was missing the D drive, and I couldn't find it for weeks. Then about 2 weeks ago, it suddenly pops up back into my file directory, but it doesn't show the storage bar or the amount of memory inside. Whenever I double click to open it, it takes a minute before it prompts me to format it. I tried to format it, but it tells me that Windows cannot format this drive. I'm not sure what to do and worried that it might be a hard drive failure. Thanks for any help!

:)

AsiianPleb, Jan 9, 2020

2. D drive

Hi,

Based on the details you have provided us, it appears that there might be some corrupted contents on the said partition. We can also consider that this is caused by a virus.

For us to check if a certain virus is hiding your files, kindly follow the steps below:

• Type Command prompt in the search bar.
    • Type-in the following command:

attrib -h -r -s /s /d D:\*.*
    • Press Enter to execute the command.

If you think that there is nothing important stored in it, then we suggest that you reformat your D drive so that you can use the free space for important files.

You can follow the steps below to start with the process:

• Click on the File Explorer.
    • Select This PC.
    • Right-click on your D drive, then click on Format.
    • Follow the on-screen process to finish formatting the partition.

Let us know how it goes so that we can further assist you.

Engelsen Fad, Jan 9, 2020
  3. Cannot access D drive since upgrading to Windows 10.

Hello Judy,

Thank you for replying quickly with the status of the issue.

Please reply to few more questions:

• Is the D: drive located on the same hard disk or on different hard disk?

• Did you have any important data saved on the
      D:
      drive?

If the D: is saved on another hard disk and you are unable to access it, I suggest you to format the drive completely and check if the issue is resolved.

To format the hard disk, follow the steps below:

• Press Windows logo + X keys on the keyboard and select
      Disk management option.

• Right click on the D: drive and select
      Format option.

• Wait for the formatting to complete and check if the changes are effective.

Write to us with the status of the issue for further assistance. Your reply is most important for us to ensure we assist you accordingly.

Thank you.

Likhitha V, Jan 9, 2020
  4. I see my D drive, but I cannot open it and forces me to format it.

Format an external Drive.

Hello Roger,

Thank you for posting your concern in Microsoft Community and welcome to the Windows 10 Family.

I would suggest you to follow the below steps to format the drive you are referring to.

• Right Click on Start menu and select Open Computer Management.

• In the left pane, under Storage, click Disk Management.

• Right-click the volume that you want to format, and then click Format.

• To format the volume with the default settings, in the Format dialog box, click
      OK, and then click OK again.
    Note: You cannot format a disk or partition that is currently in use, including the partition that contains Windows.

Hope it helps.

Thank you.

Sayan_Ghosh, Jan 9, 2020
Thema:

I see my D drive, but I cannot open it and forces me to format it.

1. I see my D drive, but I cannot open it and forces me to format it. - Similar Threads - drive cannot open

2. I went to format a DVD in my DVD drive E and inadvertingly formatted my restore Drive D....

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I went to format a DVD in my DVD drive E and inadvertingly formatted my restore Drive D....: Is it possible to replace the folder and data that was in Drive D which is my restore partition? The Drive D partition is still there. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-went-to-format-a-dvd-in-my-dvd-drive-e-and/e719f958-8312-4a91-8c2d-aeb106a43eaa
  3. I cannot access my D: drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I cannot access my D: drive: So I'm trying to transfer some stuff over to my second drive so I have space on my main for things like games and apps I have downloaded, I basically did all that but then I just transferred everything back to the original drive because I couldn't open the second drive. I've...
  4. I cannot access my D: drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I cannot access my D: drive: So I'm trying to transfer some stuff over to my second drive so I have space on my main for things like games and apps I have downloaded, I basically did all that but then I just transferred everything back to the original drive because I couldn't open the second drive. I've...
  5. I cannot access my D: drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  6. Windows 11 Setup forcing me to format my drives

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 Setup forcing me to format my drives: Hello ! I've been trying to install Windows 11 using the installation assistant, but have come short because I'm forced to wipe my disks as it's the only option available. the 2 other options are grayed out I haven't seen anyone else with my problem concerning Windows 11...
  7. Windows 11 Setup forcing me to format my drives

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 Setup forcing me to format my drives: Hello ! I've been trying to install Windows 11 using the installation assistant, but have come short because I'm forced to wipe my disks as it's the only option available. the 2 other options are grayed out I haven't seen anyone else with my problem concerning Windows 11...
  8. My D drive is gone after i formatted it.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    My D drive is gone after i formatted it.: i decided to completely reset my pc and reinstall windows, have been looking at the forums for a fix for this but found nothing that worked. I wanted the D drive reset as well so i formatted it and now it's just gone off my laptop. I don't know if they are one drive and you...
  9. Format D: drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Format D: drive: Hi, I have two disks, C and D. I just did a factory reset on C. C is now like new, but D: is still full of data and software installations (that now does not work anymore). Is it safe to format D: through the disk management tool?...
  10. How do I format a disc in Drive D:?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    How do I format a disc in Drive D:?: How do I format my disc in Drive D? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-format-a-disc-in-drive-d/faacf221-3c57-4aac-8da1-2e77b8aea709