Windows 10: I seem to not be receiving updates to Windows anymore

Discus and support I seem to not be receiving updates to Windows anymore in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Nope, Eset, but this reg-key is present , could try ( next time) searching for updates with Avast/Eset switched off............. Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by meh, Feb 20, 2018.

1. I seem to not be receiving updates to Windows anymore

Nope, Eset, but this reg-key is present , could try ( next time) searching for updates with Avast/Eset switched off.............

pietcorus2, Feb 20, 2018
  2. Smiley1 Win User

My settings only record a failed attempted install of KB4074588, but when I check the installed updates by going through the control panel, KB4074588 is listed as installed. Settings also shows failed installation of video drivers, but the system device manager shows the drivers did successfully update. I'm questioning the accuracy of the update history list. I'm not having any issues with my system, and Windows does show that it has checked for updates and none are required.

Smiley1, Feb 20, 2018
  3. Bree New Member
    This is a 'Known Issue'. Don't worry, if Control Panel (or Winver) say it's installed then it IS installed.

Cumulative Update KB4074588 Windows 10 v1709 Build 16299.248 - Feb. 13

4. Try3 Win User

I seem to not be receiving updates to Windows anymore

@Bree - Thanks for the updated link.

Denis

5. heikwith Win User
    I already tried that, even bij removing Avast, but that also did not help me.

heikwith, Feb 20, 2018
  6. Try3 Win User
    To see fuller update records you can use Event viewer -

#1 Applications and services logs, Microsoft, Windows, WindowsUpdateClient, Operational, Events - 41, 31 {41 = successful update downloads, 31 = failures of update downloads}
    #2 Windows logs, Setup {this records particular updates but not all of them; it includes Event 4 restart warnings and Event 2 installation successful}
    #3 Windows logs, System, EventSources - WindowsUpdateClient, Event - 19 {update installation successes only}

Notes

• You can look in #1 to check that an update downloaded successfully and then #3 to check that it went on to complete a successful installation.
    • I find the presentation of #3 quite easy to export then work with because the description pane's General tab identifies the update concerned [whereas #1 forces you to dig inside the Details tab and that tab is not exported].
    • Note that #3 includes updates to Apps making it, as far as I have been able to find out, the only place where App updates are identified.
    • I only find #2 useful if I'm chasing down problems after having found an update listed in #1 but not in #3.
    • I do not yet understand what gets included in #2; no pattern is apparent.
    • [Added later] When you are looking through these records, look for the KB number not the update's name because the KB number remains constant whilst the name recorded in Event viewer can vary across #1, #2, #3 and can bear little or no relation to the name shown in WU / the Update Catalog / PSWU lists / WU MiniTool lists.
    Denis

7. MEH
    meh Win User
    Thanks for the replies. I'm about to install KB4074588.

If memory serves, a bunch of updates tend to get installed along with the big "Cumulative Update" like (in this case) KB4074588. Are those always bug fixes and not security updates? Seems like I'd still want them... How can I find any potential updates and make sure I install them as well?

8. Bree New Member

as I recall, apart from the Malicious Software Removal Tool, the only other windows update released on the 13th was...

KB4087256 Servicing stack update for Windows 10 v1709 - Feb. 13
    (includes the standalone links)

Searching the update catalog, the last update before that was for Flash on 7th (which you said you had already got).

9. Try3 Win User
    meh,

Cumulative updates are stand-alone updates. They do not need any other updates.

There might or might not be other updates issued on the same day as a Cumulative update but they are not linked to it. There is no method for identifying an update's purpose as being to fix bugs or to update security other than any inference you can draw from the name of the update concerned.

New updates might be identified after a Cumulative update is installed if that CU has been flagged by MS as being a prerequisite. There is no method for identifying them in advance [it would be a bit like asking Windows if there were any updates that you would need a week next Tuesday].

Denis

10. Smiley1 Win User
    Hmm...sorting through all of this, according to #1 and #3, KB074588 was downloaded. #2 says it was installed, but I can't find a record of successful installation in #3. Maybe the next update will sort it out.

Smiley1, Feb 21, 2018
  11. Try3 Win User
    Smiley,

I found it in my #3 but, whilst the KB number remained the same, the descriptive name recorded there is different so it would be easy to overlook.

I seem to not be receiving updates to Windows anymore [​IMG]

Denis

12. Bree New Member
    Same short name is shown if you look in Control Panel > Programs and Features > View installed updates. It is the same thing, but you have to check the KB number to be sure.

13. MEH
    meh Win User

I just want to extend my warmest and most bitterly sarcastic gratitude to everyone who hijacked this thread and therefore made sure it became useless to me, and thereby ensured I rely less and less on this site. It's 2018 and yet soow we are still taking over forum threads rather than starting our own.

No, my original issue is not resolved.

And please understand that I will not be reading replies. I'm seriously considering dispensing with my forum ID, which I realize will impact no one but me.

Again, I'm not reading replies, so don't bother. I do thank anyone who tried to help.

Thema:

1. I seem to not be receiving updates to Windows anymore - Similar Threads - seem receiving updates

2. I can't update windows anymore

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I can't update windows anymore: I can't update Windows anymore and am not sure why. I get this error message everytime. Any help would be appreciated. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-cant-update-windows-anymore/a1d97312-c018-4c00-9870-a5fb73d87cdb
  3. I can't update windows anymore

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I can't update windows anymore: I can't update Windows anymore and am not sure why. I get this error message everytime. Any help would be appreciated. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-cant-update-windows-anymore/a1d97312-c018-4c00-9870-a5fb73d87cdb
  4. Bluetooth doesn't seem to want to connect anymore.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Bluetooth doesn't seem to want to connect anymore.: I recently reset my PC and got a new solid-state drive to replace my old hard drive. I've previously had no connectivity issues except for some stuttering, which is unrelated to my current problem. My Bluetooth doesn't want anything to connect. I've tried this with two pairs...
  5. Bluetooth doesn't seem to want to connect anymore.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Bluetooth doesn't seem to want to connect anymore.: I recently reset my PC and got a new solid-state drive to replace my old hard drive. I've previously had no connectivity issues except for some stuttering, which is unrelated to my current problem. My Bluetooth doesn't want anything to connect. I've tried this with two pairs...
  6. Bluetooth doesn't seem to want to connect anymore.

in Windows 10 Customization
  7. Windows not receiving updates anymore

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows not receiving updates anymore: I am using a Windows 10 Pro PC with a prior digital license. Version - 1909 OS Build 18363.1082 Last update i received was .NET Framework update Media creation tool didn't update the PC as it completed its setup, the pc was at same state as before. Tried troubleshooter a...
  8. So i cant receive win10 updates anymore until i uninstall vmware?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    So i cant receive win10 updates anymore until i uninstall vmware?: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/EmirSc [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/dwdlr5/so_i_cant_receive_win10_updates_anymore_until_i/
  9. Not receiving updates anymore?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Not receiving updates anymore?: I updated to 1903 on 8/14. Since that time I have not received any Win10 updates, except for Defender definitions. Manually checking for updates says I'm up to date. There was a cumulative update released last Tuesday so I thought that would show up in WU, but no. I have ran...
  10. Screenshot doesn't seem to work anymore

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Screenshot doesn't seem to work anymore: The last time I was able to take a screenshot was on Nov 30. They used to be stored in Pictures/Screenshots but that has stopped and I have no idea if the Fn + Prt Sc buttons no longer work or if the photos are now being stored elsewhere. I have spent hours trying to fix...