Windows 10: I sell my PC and make a new one from parts. Can I keep my license ?

Discus and support I sell my PC and make a new one from parts. Can I keep my license ? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; If yes, how ? Thanks, 20368 Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Marron, Aug 30, 2015.

1. Marron Win User

I sell my PC and make a new one from parts. Can I keep my license ?

If yes, how ?
    Thanks,

:)

Marron, Aug 30, 2015

2. Disassociate windows 10 upgrade based on retail license from hardware?

Since windows 10 upgrade bases it's authentication on a hardware footprint, how can I retain my windows 7 retail license rights when/if I sell the hardware it's currently installed on?

My intention is to wipe the HDD and sell the hardware as a full PC without OS but my understanding is that if the buyer were to attempt to install windows 10 from the ISO that it would automatically pick up the key based on hardware.

Is there any way for me to keep my purchased licensing rights or does the new upgrade license override those?

stevenswilson, Aug 30, 2015
  3. AlvanKhan Win User
    Can I activate a new PC using my digital license attached to my Microsoft Account?

Hey, I have a question but before I ask it, I would rather describe my problem. I am planning to buy a new gaming laptop. But unfortunately its Free-DOS, so I have to install Windows 10 using an ISO. However, I have done an upgrade to Windows 10 since I
    was running a genuine version of Windows 8 in 2015. So, I do have a digital license key attached with my old laptop. So I was wondering, can I transfer my digital license key to my gaming laptop using my
    Microsoft account and remove that license from my old laptop? Replies will be appreciated!

Thanks!

AlvanKhan, Aug 30, 2015
  4. sn00ker Win User

Which license are you talking about ?

sn00ker, Aug 30, 2015
  5. AddRAM Win User
    If you installed a retail copy then of course keep your license, a retail key is Gold. Format the drive, or pull the drive and sell it without one.

If it`s an oem copy you purchased with a key you can keep that too.

If the PC has it`s own COA with a key, then re install windows and use that key to activate it then sell it.

If it was activated at the factory then that and the key on the COA goes with the PC, you can`t keep them keys.

You can only keep a retail key or an oem key that you bought, but both of these keys must be removed from the PC before you sell it by using the method I 1st stated. Format the drive or just kep the drive.

But bottom line is, if you sell the PC and it`s activated, then no, you can`t keep and use that key again.

Confused ? Just ask again.

AddRAM, Aug 30, 2015
  6. brianwall Win User
    No. The terms of the free upgrade are clear. The free version is free for the lifetime of the machine. The operating system is considered part of the hardware. (Actually it is because Win10 keeps stuff in your bios chip for example). Any change to major components such as the motherboard or CPU will require you to buy a new retail Win10.

After the twelve month free period is over, and for those installing the paid retail version, Microsoft don't seem to clear as yet what will happen. In the past, a new mobo for example has required the user to re-activate, online or by phone. Now, with most users signed up to a Microsoft Account, signing-in is all that's required. The OS then looks at the bios chip to confirm it is installed on it's original machine and to retrieve the activation.

brianwall, Aug 30, 2015
  7. bro67 Win User
    Um no, if you keep the OS installed on it.

bro67, Aug 30, 2015
  8. brianwall Win User

See the Microsoft EULA. Microsoft say:
    Q: What happens if I change the hardware configuration of my Windows 10 device?
    A: If the hardware configuration of your Windows 10 device changes significantly (e.g. motherboard change) Windows may require re-activation on the device. This is the same experience as prior versions of Windows (e.g. Windows 7 and Windows 8.1). The free upgrade offer will not apply to activation of Windows 10 in such scenarios where hardware changes reset Activation.

As I said, you'll need to buy a licence.

brianwall, Aug 30, 2015
  9. Device driver's license.

MilesAhead, Aug 30, 2015
  10. Gary Win User
    If you paid for Windows 10 then yes, if you got the free version NO.

11. Please stop perpetuating this myth. The OS generates a unique hardware hash which is kept on the Microsoft servers for future comparison.
    Neither a Microsoft account or the BIOS comes into play.

Torquemada, Aug 30, 2015
  12. brianwall Win User
    This is not a myth. Since Win8, the product key is stored on the motherboard. At least for shop bought PCs.

brianwall, Aug 30, 2015
  13. I sell my PC and make a new one from parts. Can I keep my license ?

We are talking about Windows Ten here. It does not store any key in the BIOS, nor does it rely on a Microsoft Account, there are plenty of people using W10 who have never had and never will have an account.

Torquemada, Aug 30, 2015
  14. brianwall Win User
    OK my last comment on this LOL!!

"The free Windows 10 license works very differently from previous Windows licensing systems. These all required a product key. Even modern Windows 8 and 8.1 PCs — and new PCs that come with Windows 10 — have a Windows product key embedded in their UEFI firmware. If you buy a new copy of Windows 10 — for example, to install it on a PC you’re building yourself — you’ll also have a product key.
    In this case, the product key would always serve to activate Windows. But Microsoft hasn’t been handing out Windows 10 product keys to upgraders. There’s no way to find your Windows 10 product key if you’ve upgraded for free — you just don’t have one."

Also: "Embedded in your PC’s UEFI firmware: Many newer PCs that come with Windows 8 or later use a new method. The key for the version of Windows the PC comes with is stored in the computer’s UEFI firmware or BIOS. You don’t even need to know it — assuming you’re installing the same edition of Windows the PC came with, it should automatically activate and work without you needing to enter a key. It’ll all happen automatically."

Regarding the OP's question, it seems he may still be able to use his original Win10. When reinstalling, he has to skip past all references to registration or activation and the install will proceed. When completed he'll have to phone MS and explain that this isn't a new computer with a second install but his one and only. Then he should be OK. Allegedly. MS are still very coy about all this. LOL.

brianwall, Aug 30, 2015
  15. sn00ker Win User
    Have you notice the OP is using a Windows 10 Technical Preview, so what license is there for a Technical Preview ?

sn00ker, Aug 30, 2015
Thema:

1. I sell my PC and make a new one from parts. Can I keep my license ? - Similar Threads - sell parts keep

2. Can I transfer my Windows 10 from my all-in-one PC to a new PC?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can I transfer my Windows 10 from my all-in-one PC to a new PC?: I have an old all-in-one PC, and just bought a new PC. There is pretty good SSD in my old computer, and I'm going to put in my new one anyways, but I'm really interested if I can also save my Windows 10 and activate it on my new PC by doing that...
  3. I want to transfer my windows license to my new PC, I have deactivated it from my old one...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    I want to transfer my windows license to my new PC, I have deactivated it from my old one...: The license will not transfer, please help. My old Windows pro will not transfer. Thanks https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-want-to-transfer-my-windows-license-to-my-new-pc/d8875633-f913-42a9-a8c0-995ac1c701f1
  4. I want to transfer my windows license to my new PC, I have deactivated it from my old one...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I want to transfer my windows license to my new PC, I have deactivated it from my old one...: The license will not transfer, please help. My old Windows pro will not transfer. Thanks https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-want-to-transfer-my-windows-license-to-my-new-pc/d8875633-f913-42a9-a8c0-995ac1c701f1
  5. I want to transfer my windows license to my new PC, I have deactivated it from my old one...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  6. CAN I SELL DIGITAL RETAIL LICENSE?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    CAN I SELL DIGITAL RETAIL LICENSE?: Hi Microsoft,I have a concern that i want to clarify, I have Visual Studio Enterprise Subscription, under which i have access to tons of Product key. i.e i can claim tens of copies of each type of Windows 10, Office, and other Software.These Product keys are of type retail,...
  7. I can't move my Windows license from my old PC to my new one

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    I can't move my Windows license from my old PC to my new one: I have checked to see if it's a Retail license using command prompt. I can deactivate and reactivate it on the old PC just fine, but if I deactivate it and try to activate it on the new PC, I just get the invalid product code error0xc004f050. It was originally a Windows 7...
  8. Can I sell my PC with Windows 10?

Can I sell my PC with Windows 10?: I have a custom built PC that originally had windows 8 on, I upgraded to windows 10 when it launched, I now want to sell my PC but am unsure if the windows 10 key is linked to me or the hardware? If i format the drive and reinstall windows 10 and just create a local account...
  9. How is my license of Windows 10 affected if I sell my PC?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How is my license of Windows 10 affected if I sell my PC?: Apologies if this is a dumb question, but I'm looking to build a new PC and sell my current one that I built years ago. I want to sell my current PC with a fresh install of Windows 10 so that whoever buys it from me has a working PC right off the bat. Is there anything I...
  10. Selling my PC but want to keep my license

Selling my PC but want to keep my license: So I have windows 10 pro, I plan on resetting this pc and selling it without my windows 10 license or in other words take it back, how do I do that? In what order? Thank you...