Windows 10: I sell my PC and make a new one from parts. Can I keep my license ?

Discus and support I sell my PC and make a new one from parts. Can I keep my license ? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; May I ask why some are assuming he`s talking about Windows 10 ? If he`s running the TP, he doesn`t even have a license for 10 so........ I`m... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Marron, Aug 30, 2015.

1. AddRAM Win User

I sell my PC and make a new one from parts. Can I keep my license ?

May I ask why some are assuming he`s talking about Windows 10 ?

If he`s running the TP, he doesn`t even have a license for 10 so........

I`m under the assumption he`s talking about a license for 7, 8 or 8.1 as he does not mention, and yes I know he`s using Tenforms.

AddRAM, Aug 30, 2015
  2. brianwall Win User

I've been on the Insider program fast track for many months now. Originally were were all given a temporay activation key but a month or so ago all these were deleted by MS and our Win10 preview copies became activation via the MS Account login. This is compulsory for Insiders but retail consumers can opt out of the MS account requirement if they insist. But I wouldn't recommend it.

brianwall, Aug 30, 2015
  3. AddRAM Win User
    What ??????

AddRAM, Aug 30, 2015
  4. sn00ker Win User

Doesn't the Technical Preview have an expiry date ? Once it became activated by MS does it still stay the same or was their an update which may it a final version ?

sn00ker, Aug 30, 2015
  5. NavyLCDR New Member
    But it is a myth that Windows 10 stores information to the BIOS. Manufacturers can load a product key in bios, but no version of Windows ever has. Windows 10 will read a Windows 10 product key from the bios - if the manufacturer has loaded one there.

NavyLCDR, Aug 30, 2015
  6. AddRAM Win User
    Exactly.

The only time I know of when an OS auto activated to a certain manufacturer`s pc is when you used the oem disc that came with the PC, I beleieve XP did it, Vista, maybe 7.

8 is when they started putting the key in the bios, whether they gave you a disc I don`t know, I would never buy a Windows 8 or 8.1 machine, not no way, not no how.

Attachment 35000

AddRAM, Aug 30, 2015
  7. brianwall Win User
    Sorry you're right - OEMs load it into the bios, not MS. MS load it into the hidden system partition on the boot drive.
    I sell my PC and make a new one from parts. Can I keep my license ? [​IMG]

The technical preview scheme continues even though Win10 is released retail in order for Insiders to act as guinea pigs for updates and upgrades.

brianwall, Aug 30, 2015
  8. sgage Win User

Wow, people seem so intent on gaming the system. Look, the free upgrade is a free UPGRADE, for your existing system. If you buy a new computer, it's going to have Windows 10 on it already. If you build a new system, perhaps you can get an inexpensive OEM license by buying a HD or something.

Though I've heard that if you change motherboards on the second Tuesday after a full moon, the activation will carry through *Wink

sgage, Aug 30, 2015
  9. WhyMe Win User
    Although this is the stated public policy of Microsoft, it does not mean it is an accurate reflection of the contract between Microsoft and the End-User as this could be dependent on the type of license upgraded. I do agree that the policy would be correct in most instances though...

WhyMe, Aug 31, 2015
  10. XP, Vista and Windows 7 can use OEM activation. I'm not sure what the first OS to use it was though? There is a SLIC table added to the BIOS by the OEM. You do need custom OEM install media to make use of it. There is OEM info in the BIOS but no actual Product Code. That all changed with Windows 8. Now an actual product code is embedded in the BIOS. It's a unique code for each PC. You also don't need special install media to use it. Any official Microsoft install media will read it and use it. I've verified it myself. Windows 7 uses OA 2.1, Windows 8/8.1 uses OA 3.0. OA being OEM Activation. Windows 10 likely uses it too. I don't have a PC with an embedded 10 Product code to test it with though.

alphanumeric, Aug 31, 2015
  11. Just because you can do something, doesn't make it morally or ethically correct. Microsoft is pretty understanding in most situations. Unfortunately, some will look for loop holes and take advantage. That comment is not directed at any body in particular, just stating a fact of life.

alphanumeric, Aug 31, 2015
  12. tinmar49 Win User
    Exactly where did Microsoft mention that changing the cpu would invalidate activation? I thought that only changing the motherboard would do that, with the free upgrade.

tinmar49, Aug 31, 2015
  13. NavyLCDR New Member

Windows 10 FAQ Tips - Microsoft

A more important question would be where did Microsoft mention that they would not consider changing the CPU to be a "meaningful change to your hardware"?

NavyLCDR, Aug 31, 2015
  14. I thought it had to be a new moon to get a new activation. Learn something new every day. *Smile

MilesAhead, Aug 31, 2015
  15. Antilope Win User
    From the looks of things, a lot of people are "driving" Windows 10 on a learners permit. *Roflmao2

Antilope, Aug 31, 2015
Thema:

1. I sell my PC and make a new one from parts. Can I keep my license ? - Similar Threads - sell parts keep

2. Can I transfer my Windows 10 from my all-in-one PC to a new PC?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can I transfer my Windows 10 from my all-in-one PC to a new PC?: I have an old all-in-one PC, and just bought a new PC. There is pretty good SSD in my old computer, and I'm going to put in my new one anyways, but I'm really interested if I can also save my Windows 10 and activate it on my new PC by doing that...
  3. I want to transfer my windows license to my new PC, I have deactivated it from my old one...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    I want to transfer my windows license to my new PC, I have deactivated it from my old one...: The license will not transfer, please help. My old Windows pro will not transfer. Thanks https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-want-to-transfer-my-windows-license-to-my-new-pc/d8875633-f913-42a9-a8c0-995ac1c701f1
  4. I want to transfer my windows license to my new PC, I have deactivated it from my old one...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I want to transfer my windows license to my new PC, I have deactivated it from my old one...: The license will not transfer, please help. My old Windows pro will not transfer. Thanks https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-want-to-transfer-my-windows-license-to-my-new-pc/d8875633-f913-42a9-a8c0-995ac1c701f1
  5. I want to transfer my windows license to my new PC, I have deactivated it from my old one...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  6. CAN I SELL DIGITAL RETAIL LICENSE?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    CAN I SELL DIGITAL RETAIL LICENSE?: Hi Microsoft,I have a concern that i want to clarify, I have Visual Studio Enterprise Subscription, under which i have access to tons of Product key. i.e i can claim tens of copies of each type of Windows 10, Office, and other Software.These Product keys are of type retail,...
  7. I can't move my Windows license from my old PC to my new one

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    I can't move my Windows license from my old PC to my new one: I have checked to see if it's a Retail license using command prompt. I can deactivate and reactivate it on the old PC just fine, but if I deactivate it and try to activate it on the new PC, I just get the invalid product code error0xc004f050. It was originally a Windows 7...
  8. Can I sell my PC with Windows 10?

Can I sell my PC with Windows 10?: I have a custom built PC that originally had windows 8 on, I upgraded to windows 10 when it launched, I now want to sell my PC but am unsure if the windows 10 key is linked to me or the hardware? If i format the drive and reinstall windows 10 and just create a local account...
  9. How is my license of Windows 10 affected if I sell my PC?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How is my license of Windows 10 affected if I sell my PC?: Apologies if this is a dumb question, but I'm looking to build a new PC and sell my current one that I built years ago. I want to sell my current PC with a fresh install of Windows 10 so that whoever buys it from me has a working PC right off the bat. Is there anything I...
  10. Selling my PC but want to keep my license

Selling my PC but want to keep my license: So I have windows 10 pro, I plan on resetting this pc and selling it without my windows 10 license or in other words take it back, how do I do that? In what order? Thank you...