Windows 10: I sell my PC and make a new one from parts. Can I keep my license ?

Discus and support I sell my PC and make a new one from parts. Can I keep my license ? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; ... @Marron It is simple. You had Win10 Technical Preview which you converted to Win10 Pro. For all intents and purposes and with due regard to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Marron, Aug 30, 2015.

1. WhyMe Win User

I sell my PC and make a new one from parts. Can I keep my license ?

@Marron

It is simple. You had Win10 Technical Preview which you converted to Win10 Pro. For all intents and purposes and with due regard to your EULA (which you would have ticked agreement), you now have what is considered to be preinstalled license.

If you read your EULA you will see that this license cannot be transferred to a new device. It does say the license can be transferred to a new user together with the device (as they are now attached). You are therefore required to purchase either a standalone or preinstalled license for your new device.

WhyMe, Aug 31, 2015
  2. sn00ker Win User

He's trying to see if he can scam Microsoft were by using his Win10 Technical Preview version on 2 different computers since he already upgraded to 10 pro on his " older " pc and now what to see if he can re use the Win10 Technical Preview on the new one and then get the upgrade to 10 pro .... Good luck with that

sn00ker, Aug 31, 2015
  3. Marron Win User
    I think most users ticked that without reading ... Anyway, good to know. It actually makes sense that it acts as a 'preinstalled' license, because they said 'Freely use win10 on the devices that you have already installed it on', or something similar.
    Thanks. I'll just buy a retail license (even if it's expensive).

Marron, Aug 31, 2015
  4. Marron Win User

Nope. I'm not. I'm just going to sell my PC somewhere in October (a kid's father wants to give his son a good gaming PC for his birthday, so he asked me to sell mine) and then I'll buy a new one. Building a PC is always fun, and it's a good opportunity to try out water cooling. And just to note, I'm already grateful enough to Microsoft to not pirate their OS anytime soon. They let me be an insider, and I learned a lot of cool stuff in that time-frame, (commands like sfc /scannow, or how to move files from command line when explorer got completely corrupted, installed the OS many times in many different ways, upgrades, clean installs, played with buggy versions of windows, installed the most stable versions on friend's computers etc.), and what's more, they gave me free licenses for a bunch of computers: my PC, my laptop, my mum's PC, one of my best friend's laptop and that kid's old laptop. So I'll buy a retail version to say 'thanks' (and to activate my new PC, of course, even if it's expensive).

Now @alphanumeric
    I wonder why you didn't say anything about the topic though.

Marron, Aug 31, 2015
  5. Do you have a Retail Windows 7 or 8.1 copy kicking around? If it's not currently installed on any PC, install it on your new PC then do the free upgrade again. And save a few bucks.

alphanumeric, Aug 31, 2015
  6. caperjack Win User
    I'm still and insider ,can you tell me how or where you had to go in the insider preview to get the free key for win10 pro from Microsoft

caperjack, Aug 31, 2015
  7. I think some just got lucky. They opted out (stopped insider builds) while running 10240 and it stayed activated.

alphanumeric, Aug 31, 2015
  8. caperjack Win User

oh, maybe I will opt out to see what happens

caperjack, Aug 31, 2015
  9. Marron Win User
    I don't have a free key. My PC is activated with the a generic key. Did I say that I got a free key somewhere ? Just do 'slmgr /xpr' and it'll tell you.

I sell my PC and make a new one from parts. Can I keep my license ? [​IMG]

Marron, Aug 31, 2015
  10. Marron Win User
    And I didn't opt out (and actually I dunno how to opt out or if it was possible). But I think you would be interested if I note this. I did a clean install with the official windows 10 iso (the one that you create with their program) and the PC got activated by itself. Just skip the serial key part and when you get into windows check and it'll be activated (that's probably the 'bound to hardware' part), but I did login with the same account that I was previously logged in (my account)

Marron, Aug 31, 2015
  11. Marron Win User
    @alphanumeric
    I do have a retail key, but I have no idea how to use it. It's the key that came with my laptop. When I installed Windows 10 (Technical Preview) on my laptop I wiped it's SSD so I don't use it any more, but it's still written near my laptop's battery.
    But when I checked that key on Microsoft's website I get this:

I sell my PC and make a new one from parts. Can I keep my license ? [​IMG]

EDIT: On a note, it's a Win7 PRO key.

Marron, Sep 1, 2015
  12. sn00ker Win User
    You don't have to take the expensive route if money is an issue . I would instead try to buy an oem version of either windows 7 pro/ultimate or windows 8 pro and then get the free upgrade to windows 10 pro . It much cheaper and you can re install windows 10 as many times as you like on your new computer . The only advantage for getting a retail version is if you're planning to transfer that windows on a new computer again, and again and again and so on

sn00ker, Sep 1, 2015
  13. I sell my PC and make a new one from parts. Can I keep my license ?

You can always opt back in if the watermark doesn't go away. 10240 had no watermark or detectable expiry date. That sparked the "is it the RTM build debate". You weren't supposed to be activated unless you originally di an upgrade from a qualifying OS but I think a few slipped through the cracks and stayed activated.

alphanumeric, Sep 1, 2015
  14. Say anything about what in particular?

alphanumeric, Sep 1, 2015
  15. caperjack Win User
    ok, mine is now showing watermark of 10532 ,and its a clean install done long before the release and not an upgrade

caperjack, Sep 1, 2015
Thema:

1. I sell my PC and make a new one from parts. Can I keep my license ? - Similar Threads - sell parts keep

2. Can I transfer my Windows 10 from my all-in-one PC to a new PC?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can I transfer my Windows 10 from my all-in-one PC to a new PC?: I have an old all-in-one PC, and just bought a new PC. There is pretty good SSD in my old computer, and I'm going to put in my new one anyways, but I'm really interested if I can also save my Windows 10 and activate it on my new PC by doing that...
  3. I want to transfer my windows license to my new PC, I have deactivated it from my old one...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    I want to transfer my windows license to my new PC, I have deactivated it from my old one...: The license will not transfer, please help. My old Windows pro will not transfer. Thanks https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-want-to-transfer-my-windows-license-to-my-new-pc/d8875633-f913-42a9-a8c0-995ac1c701f1
  4. I want to transfer my windows license to my new PC, I have deactivated it from my old one...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I want to transfer my windows license to my new PC, I have deactivated it from my old one...: The license will not transfer, please help. My old Windows pro will not transfer. Thanks https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-want-to-transfer-my-windows-license-to-my-new-pc/d8875633-f913-42a9-a8c0-995ac1c701f1
  5. I want to transfer my windows license to my new PC, I have deactivated it from my old one...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  6. CAN I SELL DIGITAL RETAIL LICENSE?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    CAN I SELL DIGITAL RETAIL LICENSE?: Hi Microsoft,I have a concern that i want to clarify, I have Visual Studio Enterprise Subscription, under which i have access to tons of Product key. i.e i can claim tens of copies of each type of Windows 10, Office, and other Software.These Product keys are of type retail,...
  7. I can't move my Windows license from my old PC to my new one

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    I can't move my Windows license from my old PC to my new one: I have checked to see if it's a Retail license using command prompt. I can deactivate and reactivate it on the old PC just fine, but if I deactivate it and try to activate it on the new PC, I just get the invalid product code error0xc004f050. It was originally a Windows 7...
  8. Can I sell my PC with Windows 10?

Can I sell my PC with Windows 10?: I have a custom built PC that originally had windows 8 on, I upgraded to windows 10 when it launched, I now want to sell my PC but am unsure if the windows 10 key is linked to me or the hardware? If i format the drive and reinstall windows 10 and just create a local account...
  9. How is my license of Windows 10 affected if I sell my PC?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How is my license of Windows 10 affected if I sell my PC?: Apologies if this is a dumb question, but I'm looking to build a new PC and sell my current one that I built years ago. I want to sell my current PC with a fresh install of Windows 10 so that whoever buys it from me has a working PC right off the bat. Is there anything I...
  10. Selling my PC but want to keep my license

Selling my PC but want to keep my license: So I have windows 10 pro, I plan on resetting this pc and selling it without my windows 10 license or in other words take it back, how do I do that? In what order? Thank you...