Windows 10: I sell my PC and make a new one from parts. Can I keep my license ?

Discus and support I sell my PC and make a new one from parts. Can I keep my license ? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; @ I do have a retail key, but I have no idea how to use it. It's the key that came with my laptop. When I installed Windows 10 (Technical Preview) on... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Marron, Aug 30, 2015.

1. I sell my PC and make a new one from parts. Can I keep my license ?

Is that the Windows 7 software download site? http://www.microsoft.com/en-ca/softw...nload/windows7 It never worked for me? If it's the key on the COA sticker, its an OEM key, and that's why that message tells you to contact the manufacturer.

alphanumeric, Sep 1, 2015
  2. Marron Win User

Mine has no watermark, and shows 'Windows is activated' since 21st of July, when the 10240 upgrade came in. And it's the same on all 3 machines in my house. You might have missed an upgrade or something ...

Marron, Sep 1, 2015
  3. Marron Win User
    Marron, Sep 1, 2015
  4. I sell my PC and make a new one from parts. Can I keep my license ?

I don't think it will work with 10532, Microsoft changed the rules when the Consumer release came out. https://blogs.windows.com/bloggingwi...w-build-10525/ No more free rides.

5. Yeah, that's the site. Looks like it rejects OEM keys. I couldn't even do a download with a Retail key, all I got was error messages. The Digital River downloads have been pulled so I don't know of another official download site. Other than MSDN, but you need a subscription to download from there. I have one so that's where I get my ISO's.

6. Marron Win User
    Shouldn't 10525 be after 10240 ? If so, he should have received the free license ...

I happen to have a Win7 PRO ISO from a 3rd party site I downloaded a while ago, dunno if I should trust that or not, but if my key is a OEM key, will it work on a new PC ?

Marron, Sep 1, 2015
  7. Marron Win User
    Hopefully, money won't be an issue in a few months or so, 'cause I got my first job at a nice company (I'm turning 19 at the end of this month)

Marron, Sep 1, 2015
  8. WhyMe Win User

I sell my PC and make a new one from parts. Can I keep my license ?

Off topic I know. But hey....
    *Party *cake *Thumbs *cake *Party

WhyMe, Sep 1, 2015
  9. This is what MSDN lists for the 7 Pro ISO's. You can look up this info yourself without a subscription. You just can't download without one.

File Name: en_windows_7_professional_with_sp1_x64_dvd_u_676939.iso
    Languages: English
    SHA1: 0BCFC54019EA175B1EE51F6D2B207A3D14DD2B58

File Name: en_windows_7_professional_x64_dvd_x15-65805.iso
    Languages: English
    SHA1: 50127304441A793EE51B3F501289F6599A559E9F

10. Marron Win User
    @alphanumeric
    Thank you very much. You were indeed helpful.

Marron, Sep 1, 2015
  11. I goofed and had to delete my other post. No you can't use the product code on the laptop's COA sticker on your new PC. I got confused and thought you were trying to reinstall 7 on the laptop not the new PC. OEM is not transferable. Sorry about the confusion.

12. Marron Win User
    That's a bummer. Thanks anyway. In the end, I'll just buy a license.

Marron, Sep 1, 2015
  13. I sell my PC and make a new one from parts. Can I keep my license ?

If you opt out of the insider program your subject to the same rules as everybody else for the free upgrade. Clean installs of the Insider Preview do not qualify. You have had to originally upgraded from windows 7 or 8.1 to get the free upgrade. Some running 10204 appear to have slipped through and stayed activated.

14. Marron Win User
    Well I didn't opt out (and I actually dunno how to opt out), so that is probably why I received the free upgrade from technical preview. And I won't opt out even if I know how (unless someone gives me a good reason to do so).

Marron, Sep 1, 2015
  15. Settings > Update & Security > Windows Update > Advanced options > Stop Insider builds (or something similar) I'm opted out so all I see is "Get started".

Thema:

I sell my PC and make a new one from parts. Can I keep my license ?

1. I sell my PC and make a new one from parts. Can I keep my license ? - Similar Threads - sell parts keep

2. Can I transfer my Windows 10 from my all-in-one PC to a new PC?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can I transfer my Windows 10 from my all-in-one PC to a new PC?: I have an old all-in-one PC, and just bought a new PC. There is pretty good SSD in my old computer, and I'm going to put in my new one anyways, but I'm really interested if I can also save my Windows 10 and activate it on my new PC by doing that...
  3. I want to transfer my windows license to my new PC, I have deactivated it from my old one...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    I want to transfer my windows license to my new PC, I have deactivated it from my old one...: The license will not transfer, please help. My old Windows pro will not transfer. Thanks https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-want-to-transfer-my-windows-license-to-my-new-pc/d8875633-f913-42a9-a8c0-995ac1c701f1
  4. I want to transfer my windows license to my new PC, I have deactivated it from my old one...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I want to transfer my windows license to my new PC, I have deactivated it from my old one...: The license will not transfer, please help. My old Windows pro will not transfer. Thanks https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-want-to-transfer-my-windows-license-to-my-new-pc/d8875633-f913-42a9-a8c0-995ac1c701f1
  5. I want to transfer my windows license to my new PC, I have deactivated it from my old one...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  6. CAN I SELL DIGITAL RETAIL LICENSE?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    CAN I SELL DIGITAL RETAIL LICENSE?: Hi Microsoft,I have a concern that i want to clarify, I have Visual Studio Enterprise Subscription, under which i have access to tons of Product key. i.e i can claim tens of copies of each type of Windows 10, Office, and other Software.These Product keys are of type retail,...
  7. I can't move my Windows license from my old PC to my new one

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    I can't move my Windows license from my old PC to my new one: I have checked to see if it's a Retail license using command prompt. I can deactivate and reactivate it on the old PC just fine, but if I deactivate it and try to activate it on the new PC, I just get the invalid product code error0xc004f050. It was originally a Windows 7...
  8. Can I sell my PC with Windows 10?

Can I sell my PC with Windows 10?: I have a custom built PC that originally had windows 8 on, I upgraded to windows 10 when it launched, I now want to sell my PC but am unsure if the windows 10 key is linked to me or the hardware? If i format the drive and reinstall windows 10 and just create a local account...
  9. How is my license of Windows 10 affected if I sell my PC?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How is my license of Windows 10 affected if I sell my PC?: Apologies if this is a dumb question, but I'm looking to build a new PC and sell my current one that I built years ago. I want to sell my current PC with a fresh install of Windows 10 so that whoever buys it from me has a working PC right off the bat. Is there anything I...
  10. Selling my PC but want to keep my license

Selling my PC but want to keep my license: So I have windows 10 pro, I plan on resetting this pc and selling it without my windows 10 license or in other words take it back, how do I do that? In what order? Thank you...