Windows 10: I sell my PC and make a new one from parts. Can I keep my license ?

Discus and support I sell my PC and make a new one from parts. Can I keep my license ? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Ah so your still running the Insider Preview. That changes everything. You must still have the watermark and an expiry date? Not real point in trying... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Marron, Aug 30, 2015.

1. I sell my PC and make a new one from parts. Can I keep my license ?

Ah so your still running the Insider Preview. That changes everything. You must still have the watermark and an expiry date? Not real point in trying to transfer that to a new PC. It's not the full consumer version. You can stay an insider and keep running the Insider preview. Each new build will give you a new expiry date. If you opt out activation will eventually time out and you'll lose functionality.

alphanumeric, Sep 1, 2015
  2. Marron Win User

Actually, it looks like mine are turned off. Maybe it happened when I did the clean install from the bootable USB Microsoft created with their official Windows10 bootable USB creator.
    EDIT: And it looks like I have a 100% genuine license.
    EDIT2: And I have no watermark.

I sell my PC and make a new one from parts. Can I keep my license ? [​IMG]

Marron, Sep 1, 2015
  3. It looks that way. If there is no watermark, your not running 10525 or 10532. The way its supposed to work on a clean install is, if you did the free upgrade and activated, a clean install on that same PC will activate. I think Microsoft goofed with 10240. When that build released there was no watermark and no detectable expiry date, even if you originally clean installed the Insider preview and hadn't opted out. Opting out then, got you a free Windows 10. For some anyway. Clean installs after that activated for some but not for others. Consider yourself lucky. Well I guess who ever gets that PC is the lucky one.

4. Marron Win User

I sell my PC and make a new one from parts. Can I keep my license ?

Bummer. I just checked on my laptop too, but there's still no watermark.

Marron, Sep 1, 2015
  5. All you can do on the laptop is Stop Insider builds and see if stays activated. If there are no watermarks it must be build 10240? Did you ever do an upgrade to Windows 10 on the laptop?

6. Marron Win User
    When I first upgraded to build 10240 I was surprised that the watermark disappeared and that it says "Windows 10" instead of "Windows Insider Preview", or "Windows Technical Preview". And yes, I'm quite certain it's build 10240. It never did a build-like upgrade ever since (shut down, do the slow counting to 100%, restart a few times, and boom, new build installed).

Marron, Sep 1, 2015
  7. You can always opt back into Insider builds if opting out causes issues. In theory, as long as you stay an insider, and they keep releasing new builds, the expiry date will just keep being extended.

8. I sell my PC and make a new one from parts. Can I keep my license ?

Just so you know, I'm not running any insider builds at the moment. It looks like it will expire if you don't upgrade to a new build. Why That PC and not the other I don't know?

9. Marron Win User
    On the laptop was different. I wasn't able to upgrade from 10030 so I clean installed 10240 from iso. So maybe that's why. Also, I'd like to believe that Microsoft decided to give a free Windows10 to the 'helpful' insiders, for I was an insider since February and I sent a lot of feedback. *Biggrin

Marron, Sep 1, 2015
  10. Marron Win User
    Yeah. I stopped the builds on my laptop and the expiration date didn't go to infinity. So I activated them again.

Marron, Sep 1, 2015
  11. That was the way it was supposed to work, clean installs of the Insider preview didn't qualify for the free upgrade. One thing you could try is go here, http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/softw...load/windows10 run the Setup.exe and select the "Upgrade this PC now Option". Then see what happens.

12. Word Man Win User
    Then I stand corrected and will endeavor to improve my reading skills. But save the snot for somebody who appreciates it more. Congrats on your first job!*Zip

Word Man, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

I sell my PC and make a new one from parts. Can I keep my license ?

1. I sell my PC and make a new one from parts. Can I keep my license ? - Similar Threads - sell parts keep

2. Can I transfer my Windows 10 from my all-in-one PC to a new PC?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can I transfer my Windows 10 from my all-in-one PC to a new PC?: I have an old all-in-one PC, and just bought a new PC. There is pretty good SSD in my old computer, and I'm going to put in my new one anyways, but I'm really interested if I can also save my Windows 10 and activate it on my new PC by doing that...
  3. I want to transfer my windows license to my new PC, I have deactivated it from my old one...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    I want to transfer my windows license to my new PC, I have deactivated it from my old one...: The license will not transfer, please help. My old Windows pro will not transfer. Thanks https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-want-to-transfer-my-windows-license-to-my-new-pc/d8875633-f913-42a9-a8c0-995ac1c701f1
  4. I want to transfer my windows license to my new PC, I have deactivated it from my old one...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I want to transfer my windows license to my new PC, I have deactivated it from my old one...: The license will not transfer, please help. My old Windows pro will not transfer. Thanks https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-want-to-transfer-my-windows-license-to-my-new-pc/d8875633-f913-42a9-a8c0-995ac1c701f1
  5. I want to transfer my windows license to my new PC, I have deactivated it from my old one...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  6. CAN I SELL DIGITAL RETAIL LICENSE?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    CAN I SELL DIGITAL RETAIL LICENSE?: Hi Microsoft,I have a concern that i want to clarify, I have Visual Studio Enterprise Subscription, under which i have access to tons of Product key. i.e i can claim tens of copies of each type of Windows 10, Office, and other Software.These Product keys are of type retail,...
  7. I can't move my Windows license from my old PC to my new one

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    I can't move my Windows license from my old PC to my new one: I have checked to see if it's a Retail license using command prompt. I can deactivate and reactivate it on the old PC just fine, but if I deactivate it and try to activate it on the new PC, I just get the invalid product code error0xc004f050. It was originally a Windows 7...
  8. Can I sell my PC with Windows 10?

Can I sell my PC with Windows 10?: I have a custom built PC that originally had windows 8 on, I upgraded to windows 10 when it launched, I now want to sell my PC but am unsure if the windows 10 key is linked to me or the hardware? If i format the drive and reinstall windows 10 and just create a local account...
  9. How is my license of Windows 10 affected if I sell my PC?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How is my license of Windows 10 affected if I sell my PC?: Apologies if this is a dumb question, but I'm looking to build a new PC and sell my current one that I built years ago. I want to sell my current PC with a fresh install of Windows 10 so that whoever buys it from me has a working PC right off the bat. Is there anything I...
  10. Selling my PC but want to keep my license

Selling my PC but want to keep my license: So I have windows 10 pro, I plan on resetting this pc and selling it without my windows 10 license or in other words take it back, how do I do that? In what order? Thank you...