Windows 10: i set the default app by file type of .txt to editor

Discus and support i set the default app by file type of .txt to editor in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; HI, i set the default app by file type of .txt to editor by accident and now there isn't .txt at the end of a text file when i make a new one so if i... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by SkyK-F, May 2, 2021.

1. SkyK-F Win User

i set the default app by file type of .txt to editor

HI, i set the default app by file type of .txt to editor by accident and now there isn't .txt at the end of a text file when i make a new one so if i want to make python code i would need to replace the .txt with .py but i cant do that anymore does anybody know how to fix this?

:)

SkyK-F, May 2, 2021
  2. DaveM121 Win User

Not able to set word as by default for .txt & .text type file

Hi Ishan

If Word or Office does need to be repaired, then use these steps:

Open the Settings App (gear icon on your Start Menu)

Go to Apps, then scroll down to find Microsoft Office

Select that and choose Modify - Online Repair

That is a comprehensive fix

That should fix any issues with your Office Installation . . .

To set Word as the default app for txt files:

Right click any text file and choose Properties

At the top of the resulting dialog, click Change

Is Word one of the options available in the list?

If not:

Right click a txt file, choose 'Open With' - Choose Another App

Important - Check the box marked 'Always use this app to open .txt . . .'

If Word is not in the list, scroll to the bottom and click 'More Apps'

Again if Word is not in the list, at the bottom, click 'Look for another app on this PC', then navigate to find the Word executable . . .

DaveM121, May 2, 2021
  3. Bree Win User
    How to change default app for file type

'Open With > Choose another app' has three step, in the first it only offers apps registered for that file type. If you click 'More apps' it lists all registered apps regardless of suitability. Both these steps have the tick-box for 'Always use...' in my 18363.752. The third step, if needed, is 'Look for another app on this PC'. The 'Always use...' must be ticked before taking this step if you want the change to stick. However, WMP appears at the second step.

i set the default app by file type of .txt to editor [​IMG]

For a quick look at a JPG almost anything (including WMP) is more practical than Photos which on my system takes more than ten seconds just to open a photo. The OP is probably not aware that the Windows Photo Viewer is still available in W10, but hidden away. That's my default viewer for JPG.

Restore Windows Photo Viewer in Windows 10

And, once enabled, is available in Settings > Apps > Default apps.

i set the default app by file type of .txt to editor [​IMG]

Bree, May 2, 2021
  4. harrymc Win User

Visual Studio 2015 keeps getting standard file association for txt files

Visual Studio will attempt to repair any broken file associations (those not associated with a valid application) at startup.
    I suggest the following two manipulations.

• Check if txt is included in VS
      Tools -> Options -> Text Editor -> File Extension,
      and Remove in that case.
    • Go to
      Default Programs -> Associate a file type or protocol with a program -> Choose default apps by file type,
      scroll down to .txt and click, then choose your text editor if it is not already set correctly.

If these two measures are not enough, then your Visual Studio setup has a problem.

harrymc, May 2, 2021
Thema:

1. i set the default app by file type of .txt to editor - Similar Threads - set default app

2. Settings/Apps/Default Apps/by file type is broken.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Settings/Apps/Default Apps/by file type is broken.: I can't change the default file for opening PDF files. For some reason, WhatsApp is set as the default, and I can't change it. I can open the files one at a time by right clicking. I'm running Windows 10. My default browser is Edge. I wouldn't even mind if I had to use Edge...
  3. Settings/Apps/Default Apps/by file type is broken.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Settings/Apps/Default Apps/by file type is broken.: I can't change the default file for opening PDF files. For some reason, WhatsApp is set as the default, and I can't change it. I can open the files one at a time by right clicking. I'm running Windows 10. My default browser is Edge. I wouldn't even mind if I had to use Edge...
  4. Settings/Apps/Default Apps/by file type is broken.

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. settings: default apps by type

settings: default apps by type: I want to set the default type for .ps files to gsview, already installed on my computer. But the settings-by-file-type dialog allows me only to choose among a proffered list of types or to search in the app store. How do I point it at gsview?...
  6. Can't set/change default app on .txt files

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Can't set/change default app on .txt files: This started a few days ago and I reinstalled Windows earlier in the hopes that would fix it, but it didn't. I have no idea what caused this, either- Certain files, in particular any that can open in notepad (or sublime 3, as I prefer), just shows up as a blank icon and asks...
  7. Set default app for .file type file

Set default app for .file type file: how to set default app for .file type file we can right click on it and open with but set default option is not available. Please suggest https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/set-default-app-for-file-type-file/c449afd5-2eff-4f3b-8faf-8ce7ced50f30
  8. Not able to set word as by default for .txt & .text type file

Not able to set word as by default for .txt & .text type file: Hi. I am not able to set choose default apps by file type fot .txt there they show wordpad by default. i want to set word to open .txt fype but not able to change & i also have one error show when i open word file and that error is "Microsoft Word 16.0: We're sorry but...
  9. Can't set default app for java and txt files

Can't set default app for java and txt files: I reset the default apps to Microsoft recommended apps. Now when I try to change the default app for txt files. It is not changing and the logo is also not changing. I tried with java also, but it is not changing. Most of the apps it is changing. Even after changing to...
  10. Default App for a Particular File Type, e.g., .txt

Default App for a Particular File Type, e.g., .txt: The version of Windows 10 Home I am using will not allow me to assign TED Notepad as the default app for opening .txt files. I am instead stuck with the standard (and inferior) Notepad. To use TED Notepad, I am forced to invoke it manually every time I open a .txt file. A...