Windows 10: I set up a new computer with the wrong account name.

Discus and support I set up a new computer with the wrong account name. in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; I just received a new computer and when setting it up, I didn't think about and used a newer email address and name to set everything instead of my... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Zirianna ., Apr 23, 2024.

1. I set up a new computer with the wrong account name.

I just received a new computer and when setting it up, I didn't think about and used a newer email address and name to set everything instead of my older Microsoft account. Now I can't access OneDrive under the old email address to move my files over onto this computer.How can I get Windows to see me under the old account? If I had been shipped a physical copy of Windows so I had the product key, I would just format and reinstall from scratch, but this came with Windows pre-loaded and I don't have a product key to do that.What do I do?

:)

Zirianna ., Apr 23, 2024

2. Wrong account linked to computer

Hello,

Thank you for your reply,

I would suggest you to enable default administrator account by going into recovery options.

You might have to boot from the installation media and go to command prompt. Follow the instructions on Windows 10 Software Download page to create media:
    http://www.microsoft.com/software-download/windows10

After creating the media, boot the computer from the medium and then try the following steps to go into command prompt in Windows 10.

• Contact the computer manufacturer to know on how to change the boot order of the computer. You will have to change the boot device to CD/DVD drive and then boot from the Windows 10 installation disk.
    • In the “Windows Setup” dialog box that appears, set the Time and currency format, Keyboard or input method and the language to install and then click “Next”.
    • Click on “Repair your computer” from the lower left corner.
    • From the “Choose an option screen”, click on “Troubleshoot”.
    • Click “Advanced Options” in the “Troubleshoot” screen.
    • In the “Advanced Options” screen, click “Command prompt”.
    Enter the following command to enable the hidden administrator account:

net user administrator /active:yes

Once default administrator account is enabled try to create a new user account and check.

Try these steps to create a new user account and check if it fixes the issue. Refer to the steps below to create a new User Account:

• Go to Settings.
    • Choose Accounts and then select Other User Accounts towards the left.
    • Select Add an Account.
    • Enter a user name and hit Next.
    • Click on Finish.
    • Sign out from the current Account and Log into the new account.
    • Check if issue persists.

Note: Please follow the same steps and type
    net user administrator /active: no to disable admin account after the troubleshooting is done.

Please reply us back after performing the steps. We would be happy to assist you further on the issue.

Ashish Sondhi, Apr 23, 2024
  3. angus Win User
    Settings can't be opened using the built-in administrator account

Hello,
    Unfortunately I have the same issue as Dabz from upgrading win7 to win10.
    I've tried opening settings using all the suggested methods and it will not load using my account with Administrator access nor the built-in Administrator profile. I also tried other methods not listed such as using Run. Control panel is just a stepping stone to add users in Settings.
    I'm also having explorer.exe issues, which I believe is preventing Settings from loading.
    Using cmd (Admin) I successfully created a new user profile [and granted admin access also using cmd (Admin)], however win10 will not allow this account to log on. win10 does not list this new user within control panel but it does in the start menu. win10 will not allow to log in or switch to the new account via the start menu either.
    I can access settings in Safe Mode but this will not allow me to create a new account.
    Any help/suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
    Cheers

angus, Apr 23, 2024
  4. Vesao Win User

I set up a new computer with the wrong account name.

Remove account

I suggest you backup your personalized files first before removing the account.
    To delete an account, follow these steps:
    1. Press WIN + X keys and click Command Prompt (Admin) from the menu.
    2. Type the following command and press Enter. Replace test with the name of your sister's account. Code:

Vesao, Apr 23, 2024
Thema:

I set up a new computer with the wrong account name.

1. I set up a new computer with the wrong account name. - Similar Threads - set computer wrong

2. I set up a new computer with the wrong account name.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I set up a new computer with the wrong account name.: I just received a new computer and when setting it up, I didn't think about and used a newer email address and name to set everything instead of my older Microsoft account. Now I can't access OneDrive under the old email address to move my files over onto this computer.How...
  3. I set up a new computer with the wrong account name.

in Windows 10 Customization
    I set up a new computer with the wrong account name.: I just received a new computer and when setting it up, I didn't think about and used a newer email address and name to set everything instead of my older Microsoft account. Now I can't access OneDrive under the old email address to move my files over onto this computer.How...
  4. I set up my computer with the wrong Microsoft account.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I set up my computer with the wrong Microsoft account.: I set up my computer with the wrong Microsoft account. I followed the directions on previous threats to correct the situation I logged in on a local account and then switched over to the new MS account. However, the computer, even though I am logged in with a different...
  5. I set up my computer with the wrong Microsoft account.

I set up my computer with the wrong Microsoft account.: I set up my computer with the wrong Microsoft account. I followed the directions on previous threats to correct the situation I logged in on a local account and then switched over to the new MS account. However, the computer, even though I am logged in with a different...
  6. I set up my computer with the wrong Microsoft account.

in Windows 10 Gaming
  7. I have a new computer that I set up with wrong Microsoft account. How do I delete wrong...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I have a new computer that I set up with wrong Microsoft account. How do I delete wrong...: See above question. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-have-a-new-computer-that-i-set-up-with-wrong/6502221a-e487-479d-9b0c-225abf9199cd
  8. I have a new computer that I set up with wrong Microsoft account. How do I delete wrong...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I have a new computer that I set up with wrong Microsoft account. How do I delete wrong...: See above question. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-have-a-new-computer-that-i-set-up-with-wrong/6502221a-e487-479d-9b0c-225abf9199cd
  9. Signed into wrong account when setting up new PC

Signed into wrong account when setting up new PC: I recently built a new PC and had to reset my SSD Windows 10 kept crashing. Afterwards Windows asked me to sign into my existing Microsoft account. I accidentally used the wrong account that was not connected with my purchase of Windows 8 > 10. Now I am stuck unable to...
  10. New Laptop Accidentally Set Up With Wrong Microsoft Account

New Laptop Accidentally Set Up With Wrong Microsoft Account: I have just purchased a new HP laptop (Windows 10). During setup I accidentally used an existing family Microsoft Account; however this is mainly associated with my son’s Xbox Gold (account), thus when trying to access software like Outlook, etcetera they open up...