Windows 10: I sold my old PC, but forgot to remove it from my MS account

Discus and support I sold my old PC, but forgot to remove it from my MS account in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; A few weeks ago, I sold my old Windows 10 PC to a friend. The PC and (presumably) its activation key are both registered to my MS account. Before... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by NKMRR, Jan 6, 2019.

1. NKMRR Win User

I sold my old PC, but forgot to remove it from my MS account

A few weeks ago, I sold my old Windows 10 PC to a friend.

The PC and (presumably) its activation key are both registered to my MS account.

Before selling the PC, I reset it with the option to "Keep nothing", but now I realize I forgot to remove it from my devices.

I would like to remove the PC from my account, but I'm afraid this could cause issues for my friend. I feel responsible, since I sold it to him.

Will he be unable to use the PC if I remove it? Will he have to re-activate it? Is there anything I should tell him when I remove the device from my account?

Both my old and my new PC are using different license keys, and since I paste my activation keys on the front of the PCs I use them on, he should have no difficulties re-activating. I just want to know what possible problems could arise from de-authorizing a currently active PC in use by someone else, and if he'd need to take some steps beforehand.

We live quite far apart, so visiting him is not much of an option. He already emailed me that the PC is working fine, and I'd like to keep it that way.

:)

NKMRR, Jan 6, 2019
  2. Vesao Win User

Remove account

I suggest you backup your personalized files first before removing the account.
    To delete an account, follow these steps:
    1. Press WIN + X keys and click Command Prompt (Admin) from the menu.
    2. Type the following command and press Enter. Replace test with the name of your sister's account. Code:
      Code:
      net user test /del

Vesao, Jan 6, 2019
  3. eodauthor Win User
    Remove MS Account on pc with Windows 10

Thank you for your reply. This did not solve the problem. While it allows me to access my pc with my Microsoft 365 account, it does not allow me to use all the features. For example, the OneDrive folders on my pc are associated with my old, errant, did even
    know I had it MS account.

I've just gone through the steps to delete the old MS account. It does say that it requires 60 days before the old account is truly gone.

How can I remove this old, never used but one, MS account from this PC so that I can use my 365 account as the administrator to include having the OneDrive folders on this machine? Will reinstalling WIN 10 allow me to do so?

eodauthor, Jan 6, 2019
  4. I sold my old PC, but forgot to remove it from my MS account

Unable to remove old administrator account.

Hello,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

I understand that you want to delete one of the old administrator accounts from your computer. If you want to save the data from the old Administrator account, I would suggest you to copy the data from the old user account from
    C: Users\<Old User Account> and move it to your backup drive or folder in a different location, before deleting the account.

I would also like to know what exactly happens when you try to remove the old Administrator account from your PC.

To delete an Administrator account from your PC, you will have to login to another user account with
    Administrator access as User Accounts cannot be deleted through a Standard account.

Once you have logged into your new Administrator account, you can follow the steps mentioned below to remove the old Administrator account from your PC. To do this, by

1. Login to the new Admin User Account that you want to keep.
    2. Tap on 'Windows + I' on the keyboard.
    3. Click on 'Accounts'.
    4. Now click on 'Family & other users'.
    5. Select the old Administrator account from the list.
    6. Click on 'Remove'.

Let us know if you face any issues, and we will certainly assist you further.

Hope it helps.

Sandeep Kumar M

Microsoft Community – Moderator

Sandeep_KM, Jan 6, 2019
Thema:

I sold my old PC, but forgot to remove it from my MS account

1. I sold my old PC, but forgot to remove it from my MS account - Similar Threads - sold old forgot

2. Is my MS account removed after i reset my PC?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Is my MS account removed after i reset my PC?: Hello, so i reset my PC because im going to sell it.When resetting the PC i clicked on "Local Install" and "Remove all my files". After setting up the PC i gave it the name "Medion" and then created a local account. When i then looked at "My Devices" i saw a desktop with the...
  3. Is my MS account removed after i reset my PC?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Is my MS account removed after i reset my PC?: Hello, so i reset my PC because im going to sell it.When resetting the PC i clicked on "Local Install" and "Remove all my files". After setting up the PC i gave it the name "Medion" and then created a local account. When i then looked at "My Devices" i saw a desktop with the...
  4. didn't remove windows key from my old pc which I sold. recently

in Windows 10 Gaming
    didn't remove windows key from my old pc which I sold. recently: today I should my old pc except my storage drive. but unfortunately I didn't remove my acrivation key. how to transfer my key to new computer?...
  5. didn't remove windows key from my old pc which I sold. recently

didn't remove windows key from my old pc which I sold. recently: today I should my old pc except my storage drive. but unfortunately I didn't remove my acrivation key. how to transfer my key to new computer?...
  6. Remove an old workplace account from my PC

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Remove an old workplace account from my PC: Hi,I did some contract work for a business, and they issued me with an Office 365 email address with access to Sharepoint - ie a workplace account. When the contract finished, I deleted well I thought I did everything from my PC, and the business disabled my user...
  7. Remove an old workplace account from my PC

Remove an old workplace account from my PC: Hi,I did some contract work for a business, and they issued me with an Office 365 email address with access to Sharepoint - ie a workplace account. When the contract finished, I deleted well I thought I did everything from my PC, and the business disabled my user...
  8. removing account from my old laptop

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    removing account from my old laptop: Hi removing account from my old laptop will it remove my account and data on my new laptop and data ? PLEASE I NEED HELP https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/removing-account-from-my-old-laptop/df64f0c0-e841-4c4d-93cb-83bbc0ee78ee
  9. Sold My Old Computer - Unsure About Personal Accounts

Sold My Old Computer - Unsure About Personal Accounts: I sold my old computer and I have manually deleted or uninstalled all programs and/or documents. I have also backed up my PC onto an external hard drive. I have a new computer and it seems that all or most of my previous programs and/or documents are there. My concern is...
  10. Removing PC from MS account

Removing PC from MS account: I got a new computer and when I set it up Iinked it with my MS Account. Now I want to use the computer but NOT have it linked to my MS Account. If I remove the computer from my MS Account, will I have to set up a new Administrator user before I can use the computer?...