Windows 10: I still need Windows 7 Pro

Discus and support I still need Windows 7 Pro in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I have done the free upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 10. I find I still need Windows 7 to use some of my older programs. Is it possible to partition... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Ronnielee09, Jan 22, 2016.

1. I still need Windows 7 Pro

I have done the free upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 10. I find I still need Windows 7 to use some of my older programs. Is it possible to partition my hard drive and reinstall Windows 7 on it, thus making it a dual boot system? I do have a second hard drive installed that is empty and not being used. Any help is greatly appreciated. *Smile

:)

Ronnielee09, Jan 22, 2016

2. Activating Windows 10 After Formatting the Machine

Hi

I have a Dell Latitude running on Genuine Windows 7 Pro. It needs a formatting. I am planning to directly install the Windows 10. My question is after a clean install can I still activate the Windows 10 using my Windows 7 Pro key? And will the Windows 10
    be activated as Windows 10 Pro?

Thanks.

Regards

Vivek

Vivek_Batra, Jan 22, 2016
  3. i have wind 7 pro and need win 10 pro, how do i get it being microsoft never sent me any notification

The fastest way to get the upgrade is to download the ISO. An ISO is like a dvd so to use it you will need to right click>mount. Start the upgrade from within windows.

WARNING: DO NOT USE THESE TO DO A CLEAN INSTALL (until after you have already updated). If you do
    you will not be able to activate it unless you have previously upgraded to win 10 and activated it. You then will be forced to re-install your previous OS before upgrading to win 10

Warning Running the media creation tool may prevent you from rolling back to a previous OS

The Official Final Windows 10 download is now available

Use the download tool to create ISO media to update your windows.

Download Windows 10

Use Download Tool Now (32bit version)

http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=616935

Use Download Tool Now (64bit version)

http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=616936

ZigZag3143 (MS -MVP), Jan 22, 2016
  4. OldMike65 Win User

I still need Windows 7 Pro

Try reading this msg thread and it may explain the process for you. Bottom line is YES it can be done.
    https://www.tenforums.com/installatio...dual-boot.html

OldMike65, Jan 22, 2016
  5. Thanks OldMike65. I read the post and will try it. I'll post back to show the results.

6. NavyLCDR New Member
    Unless you have a second license for the Windows 7, though, it violates the End Users License Agreement (EULA) to do so.

NavyLCDR, Jan 22, 2016
  7. Mystere Win User
    Are you absolutely sure you need Windows 7? There are many reasons software may be incompatible, and they may be fixable by using the built-in compatibility tools.

Mystere, Jan 22, 2016
  8. OldMike65 Win User

@Ronnielee09 I am afraid NavyLCDR is correct, I forgot about that!!! If your Windows 10 was upgraded from the Windows 7 you want to use to dual boot, that is illegal to do so. You would need to buy a new license for Windows 7.

OldMike65, Jan 22, 2016
  9. Yes, I did upgrade from Windows 7. I think I'll forget the whole thing. It's not worth all the hassle. Only one of my old programs won't work on Win 10.

10. WHS
    whs Win User
    I am not sure whether that is really true in this situation. Where in the EULA does it cover that case.

11. bro67 Win User
    That is until the servers catch it and upload the code to disable it. Never had it happen to me yet.

Had to use one of my 8.1 Pro keys to upgrade the Dell Inspiron I have for testing. No issues when I loaded 10 on it, while the machine that owned that key, was running 8.1 at that time.

bro67, Jan 22, 2016
  12. I reinstalled Win7 on a second HDD,a message popped up saying it may be an illegal copy.Then contacted Microsoft telling them that was untrue,because I have the original disc and key.They altered the installation so it could not re-download Win10 and has worked fine ever since,updates etc. without a problem.
    You can only try.

joeandmarg0, Jan 22, 2016
  13. bro67 Win User

Microsoft did not alter anything. It states in the TOS for Windows 10, that after 30 days of running or having Windows 10 installed on a computer yhat had a prior OS on it. Your prior OS key is no longer valid.

This was stated in July, when 10 went RTM.

bro67, Jan 23, 2016
  14. Mystere Win User
    No, that's a misunderstanding of the case. 30 days after installation, your can no longer roll back automatically to the previous OS. But, just because you cannot rollback doesn't mean your license is not valid anymore.

You have a license for Windows 7. When you upgrade to Windows 10, the Windows 7 license is "amended" to allow you to run Windows 10 instead of Windows 7, however you are always free to go back to Windows 7 (even more than 30 days) if you delete your copy of Windows 10 (ie, replace Windows 10 with Windows 7). You cannot install both Windows 7 and Windows 10 simultaneously. You may only have one instance of either installed.

Mystere, Jan 23, 2016
  15. NavyLCDR New Member
    2. Installation and Use Rights.
    a. License. The software is licensed, not sold. Under this agreement, we grant you the right to install and run one instance of the software on your device (the licensed device), for use by one person at a time, so long as you comply with all the terms of this agreement. Updating or upgrading from non-genuine software with software from Microsoft or authorized sources does not make your original version or the updated/upgraded version genuine, and in that situation, you do not have a license to use the software.
    b. Device. In this agreement, “device” means a hardware system (whether physical or virtual) with an internal storage device capable of running the software. A hardware partition or blade is considered to be a device.

Two partitions = 2 devices which requires two separate licenses to run Windows on.

However, there is no "30 day expiration" of the Windows 7 license after upgrading to Windows 10. The Windows 7 license (and associated product key) remains just as valid as it always was. You just can't use it to install and use Windows 7 at the same time as the Windows 10 it was upgraded to. Just like you can move a retail license from computer to computer but you can't use it on more than one computer at the same time.

NavyLCDR, Jan 23, 2016
Thema:

1. I still need Windows 7 Pro - Similar Threads - still need Pro

2. i need windows 7

in Windows 10 Gaming
    i need windows 7: how to download windows 7 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-need-windows-7/2b6b40ee-6007-4995-b897-6ece5507b492
  3. i need windows 7

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    i need windows 7: how to download windows 7 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-need-windows-7/2b6b40ee-6007-4995-b897-6ece5507b492
  4. window 7 is good or bad. do i need to upgrade window 7 to the next level or still i stay...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    window 7 is good or bad. do i need to upgrade window 7 to the next level or still i stay...: window 7 is good or bad. do i need to upgrade window 7 to the next level or still i stay with window 7 . please tell me what should i do? thanksrabinder...
  5. window 7 is good or bad. do i need to upgrade window 7 to the next level or still i stay...

window 7 is good or bad. do i need to upgrade window 7 to the next level or still i stay...: window 7 is good or bad. do i need to upgrade window 7 to the next level or still i stay with window 7 . please tell me what should i do? thanksrabinder...
  6. I need to go from Windows 7 Pro to Windows 10.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I need to go from Windows 7 Pro to Windows 10.: It seems I must install the media Creation Tool. Every time I try I get the same error message copy attached.I need help as to how I proceed...Thanks....
  7. I need to go from Windows 7 Pro to Windows 10.

I need to go from Windows 7 Pro to Windows 10.: It seems I must install the media Creation Tool. Every time I try I get the same error message copy attached.I need help as to how I proceed...Thanks....
  8. still windows 7 user...need help with this bsod please?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    still windows 7 user...need help with this bsod please?: - http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event"> - 1001 0 2 0 0 0x80000000000000 415403 System Dave-PC - 0x0000000a 0x0000000000000a0a, 0x0000000000000002, 0x0000000000000000, 0xfffff8000435cbeb C:\Windows\MEMORY.DMP 020722-17908-01...
  9. i need a windows 7 pro product key

in Windows 10 Gaming
    i need a windows 7 pro product key: sir i am kumar. i need a windows 7 pro product key https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-need-a-windows-7-pro-product-key/0765b392-c5a3-4624-a9e6-0c12adbc9b5e
  10. i need a windows 7 pro product key

i need a windows 7 pro product key: sir i am kumar. i need a windows 7 pro product key https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-need-a-windows-7-pro-product-key/0765b392-c5a3-4624-a9e6-0c12adbc9b5e