Windows 10: I suspect my windows did a system restore without my permission

Discus and support I suspect my windows did a system restore without my permission in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; Hello everyone, After installing the latest windows 10 update my workstation crashed and wouldn't start up. I entered the windows 10 recovery mode and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/shoxicwaste, Aug 30, 2020.

1. I suspect my windows did a system restore without my permission

Hello everyone,

After installing the latest windows 10 update my workstation crashed and wouldn't start up. I entered the windows 10 recovery mode and did "Start up Repair" which automatically "fixed" my problem.

When I booted into windows all the software that I have downloaded and installed in the last few weeks wouldn't start. The shortcuts exist and the directory still exists in program files with only the uninstall executable s there. Also the icons on my desktop have gone blank.

Weird things have happened since the update, Chrome wouldn't start up at all. I went to the exe root directory and manually launched the 64-bit exe and it worked fine, only ad blocker is uninstalled.

Any steam games i've installed in the last 2 weeks have gone with only the remains of a corrupt icon on my desktop.

I have also recently installed and setup over 20-gb of virtual instruments and VST audio FX for my audio DAW software.... all gone with only the uninstall exe's left in the install paths.

No virus or infection, SFC scan returns nothing, hardware is all fine, hard drives are fine.

I suspect that Windows has rolled my PC back using system restore during the "Start Up Repair" as I've suffered data loss and all the recently installed programs are gone.

I also can't be sure of this because the uninstall .exe's remain persistent. Also system restore shows no indication of any activity.

Can anyone help, i'm seriously stumped by this problem, which seems to have stemmed from the recent update and has caused me a considerable amount of data loss.

submitted by /u/shoxicwaste
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/shoxicwaste, Aug 30, 2020

2. Restore Security Permissions

Hello Deepak,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community.

I understand that you have cancelled the security permissions while setting it to folders and you are trying to restore back. We will help you.

• Which folder are you trying to set the permissions?
    • What are you referring to " files is affected "?
    I suggest you to follow the below steps and check if it helps.

• Open the file explorer and select the destination folder
      for which you wanted to revert back the permission changes.
    • Right click on the folder. Select the Previous versions
      tab.
    • Select the previous version in the below list and click
      apply
    • Check if the issue persists.
    Keep us posted to help you better.

Sachin Venkatesh, Aug 30, 2020
  3. Windows XP PRO error after restore

System restore is handy when it works like it did for me 2 days ago saving the need to reinstall all of my software as well as windows, id suggest using norton Ghost 12 for an excellent system restore feature.

jocksteeluk, Aug 30, 2020
  4. 95Viper Win User

I suspect my windows did a system restore without my permission

Windows 7 - Messed up permissions

Try this, it may help: Tweaking.com's all in one repair

EDIT:

A quote from the Website page... and, it is some good advice:

Spoiler

95Viper, Aug 30, 2020
Thema:

I suspect my windows did a system restore without my permission

1. I suspect my windows did a system restore without my permission - Similar Threads - suspect did system

2. System Restore did not complete

in Windows 10 Gaming
    System Restore did not complete: error message says it could not access a file. Error 0x80070005. What is that and how do i fix it. Hopefully an automatic fix by Windows 10 itself? Thank You...
  3. System Restore did not complete

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    System Restore did not complete: error message says it could not access a file. Error 0x80070005. What is that and how do i fix it. Hopefully an automatic fix by Windows 10 itself? Thank You...
  4. System Restore did not complete

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. System Restore did not finish

System Restore did not finish: After a recent windows update my shared printer stopped working. I went to go back to the previous restore point and it never finished after 3 hours. Looked online and saw this is a common problem but now system is unusable.Tried Reset my PC but has for my bitlocker ID to...
  6. Why did windows update without my permission on initial startup?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why did windows update without my permission on initial startup?: I just bought a new computer and asked the seller to keep it on windows 10 until windows 11 was more proven.Instead, it updated on its own without letting me stop it during setup. There are several things I dislike about 11 and would have preferred to stay on windows 10 until...
  7. Why did windows update without my permission on initial startup?

Why did windows update without my permission on initial startup?: I just bought a new computer and asked the seller to keep it on windows 10 until windows 11 was more proven.Instead, it updated on its own without letting me stop it during setup. There are several things I dislike about 11 and would have preferred to stay on windows 10 until...
  8. I am suspecting some App changed my Administrator permission.

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    I am suspecting some App changed my Administrator permission.: Hi, As the title said, I am suspecting some App changed my Administrator permission. I have only one account on this laptop, and this account is an Administrator account it shows the following in Setting > Accounts > Your info: "Local Account Administrator" but,...
  9. Where did my system restore go?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Where did my system restore go?: Somehow my system has changed not by my doing. Now I can't open Excel files or Word files. What happened? I tried to use a "restore point" I had created days, or weeks ago and I can't even pull that up. I have a good virus program, PC Matic, Has microsoft done something?...
  10. Extra Drive Appeared in my System Without Permission.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Extra Drive Appeared in my System Without Permission.: I am getting an extra hard drive storage folder, which was not there before, with the name "SYSTEM_DRV E" It's 256 MB. its shows 205 MB free of 256 MB it was not there before. when I am trying to access it. it says "you don't currently have permission to access this folder"...