Windows 10: I swapped my motherboard along with CPU and RAM and I'm having troubles getting windows to work

Discus and support I swapped my motherboard along with CPU and RAM and I'm having troubles getting windows to work in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; Hi. Today I swapped my motherboard, CPU and RAM in my rig since it was getting really old and slow. (Really just wanted to swap CPU, but realized I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/williamsegerstad, Dec 5, 2019.

1. I swapped my motherboard along with CPU and RAM and I'm having troubles getting windows to work

Hi. Today I swapped my motherboard, CPU and RAM in my rig since it was getting really old and slow. (Really just wanted to swap CPU, but realized I more or less had to swap all other components as well). All the hardware is working properly and it displays in my bios. So I went ahead and launched windows, I read online that you necessarily don't have to reinstall Windows other than reactivating the license when changing hardware. All was working fine at first and I was a bit surprised since I never had to reactivate windows at all, even though it did notice my new hardware.

Then came the crashes, like a lot of them. Not when doing anything specific, just at random times. So I tried updating what I could and repairing. But the bsods didn't stop. So at last I thought that I would just reinstall Windows 10 all together. Maybe it was som sort of old drivers and what not still looking for my old hardware.

So I boot the installation program with a USB from my bios, and decided to format the whole drive where I were to install Windows just in case. It does it's thing and everything installs and I'm like "finally everything works".

But then all off a sudden I start getting bluescreens again. I'm running a fresh install and I have no clue what could be the cause for these things to start happening. I googled the error messages and many of them stated that the cause can be because of bad drivers. But then it has to be from one of my other hard drives since I formatted the drive that windows is installed on, maybe.

Does anyone know what could possibly be wrong? I thought a clean windows install would fix it. Or am I looking at the wrong place, meaning that some of the hardware is not functioning properly? Any help is appreciated

submitted by /u/williamsegerstad
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/williamsegerstad, Dec 5, 2019
  2. plazma321 Win User

New motherboard/CPU/Ram license question

Howdy. I'm about to upgrade my motherboard, CPU and ram. I have a couple of questions.

Currently on windows 10 Pro which was upgraded from a legit windows 7 Ultimate retail key.

1. I'm assuming I will have to do a fresh install of windows 10 after i swap out this hardware?

2. Once I've done the fresh install how do i go about activating my license for windows 10?

plazma321, Dec 5, 2019
  3. GARoss Win User
    Swap my old motherboard for new day. Correct me if I'm wrong, please?

Today is swap my old motherboard for the new one day. I have a new CPU, MB & RAM & for the moment, re-installing the old GPU.

• The CPU is an AMD Ryzen 7 1700 that comes with a cooling fan & is pre-coated with thermal paste.
    • Once all is installed check if all fans are working as the PC is started.
    • Then, press Delete to enter BIOS settings to designate which HDD is boot, RAM is recognized & other hardware is working.
    • Proceed to desktop & get Windows Security to recognize new hardware on old PC license.
    • Update whatever is necessary to new hardware & possible BIOS upgrade.

Have I forgotten anything?

GARoss, Dec 5, 2019
  4. I swapped my motherboard along with CPU and RAM and I'm having troubles getting windows to work

I want to change my motherboard, cpu and ram.

Can i change my motherboard,cpu and ram without re-installing windows or loosing the license.

Currently i have Intel CPU and i want to change it to Ryzen cpu.

Gorelov Bogdan, Dec 5, 2019
Thema:

I swapped my motherboard along with CPU and RAM and I'm having troubles getting windows to work

1. I swapped my motherboard along with CPU and RAM and I'm having troubles getting windows to work - Similar Threads - swapped motherboard along

2. My motherboard was replaced, now I'm having trouble with Microsoft Applications. I get...

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    My motherboard was replaced, now I'm having trouble with Microsoft Applications. I get...: I had to have a mobo replacement. My company uses Azure AD. We have reimaged my computer, now I can't get Microsoft Apps to work. I get errors stating the TPM has malfunctioned. My company's Techs have reset the TPM state, done local and online repair, cleared cached Windows...
  3. My motherboard was replaced, now I'm having trouble with Microsoft Applications. I get...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My motherboard was replaced, now I'm having trouble with Microsoft Applications. I get...: I had to have a mobo replacement. My company uses Azure AD. We have reimaged my computer, now I can't get Microsoft Apps to work. I get errors stating the TPM has malfunctioned. My company's Techs have reset the TPM state, done local and online repair, cleared cached Windows...
  4. My motherboard was replaced, now I'm having trouble with Microsoft Applications. I get...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Will windows work after I get a new motherboard and cpu

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Will windows work after I get a new motherboard and cpu: Im getting new pc parts and if windows is stored on the hard drive will it work when i boot up the new pc? i assume i will just have to reactivate windows but im not sure...
  6. Do I keep my Windows after a motherboard and CPU swap?

Do I keep my Windows after a motherboard and CPU swap?: I have a hard drive. It's a 500 gb SSD and I wonder if I keep my Windows if I use it with another motherboard. I'm going to switch to AMD and so I needed a new motherboard. What happens if I connect my used SSD with the new motherboard? Does nothing happen, do I lose my data...
  7. I swapped the motherboard and cannot get the activation to work.

I swapped the motherboard and cannot get the activation to work.: So I swapped the motherboard and tried to activate it and didn't work. It keeps saying to try again later. After looking for possible solutions I gave up and referred me to the bot that tries to help. It asked if I had an activation key. I looked on microsoft, since I bought...
  8. Just upgraded Motherboard/CPU/RAM along with switching from Windows 7 and my left speaker...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Just upgraded Motherboard/CPU/RAM along with switching from Windows 7 and my left speaker...: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/thirtysixnick [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/dtmlxl/just_upgraded_motherboardcpuram_along_with/
  9. I'm having trouble getting an external webcam to work

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I'm having trouble getting an external webcam to work: Trying to connect an external webcam but computer isn't recognising it https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/im-having-trouble-getting-an-external-webcam-to/8e3f3436-af94-43ab-a7a5-2859b984d4d7
  10. I'm Having Trouble...

I'm Having Trouble...: Installing this update... Cumulative Update for Windows 10 (KB3097617) - Error 0x80004005 Thanks in advance! 26335