Windows 10: I think I screwed up, bad

Discus and support I think I screwed up, bad in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Very new here so please forgive the lack of profile info/signature if required. I have a 500gb ssd that had windows on it and quite a lot on that... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by DVA12924, Jul 29, 2020.

1. DVA12924 Win User

I think I screwed up, bad

Very new here so please forgive the lack of profile info/signature if required.

I have a 500gb ssd that had windows on it and quite a lot on that drive (450ish GB of programs and files). I also had a few other ssd drives that I used as storage. The drive with Windows was getting very full so I wanted to move it to a bigger 1tb ssd. I was able to clone the disk over without issues.

I then went into bios and set the new ssd as the boot drive and restarted but it still booted from the old disk. Being extremely sleep deprived, I wasnt thinking clearly and trying to follow tutorials on my phone from different sites on how to get windows to boot to the new drive. I stupidly thought maybe I have to format the drive that had windows on it originally so I went and did that and restarted again. I was then met with an error that windows wasnt installed on the drive that I cloned to, but it was, I checked before. Then I realized it wasnt formatted to MBR and thats why it wasnt booting from it. Using command prompt, I cleaned the disk and set it to MBR. Well, I cleaned the disk. Yep. That happened. So now I was left with a bunch of empty drives with unallocated space on them.

I remembered I had a USB with windows recovery/setup on it and popped it in and tried to get windows to restore from the cloned restore but I wouldnt read the data or I didnt know where to find the right file/driver. So I decided itd be great to just reinstall windows, use a 3rd party program to recover the lost partitions and data that would have the full clone on it and try again. But my stupidity didnt end there. Nope. I went 1 step further and reinstalled windows over the cloned drive that was cleaned and set to MBR from diskpart ... the drive I needed to recover and restore.

Using yet more 3rd party software to try to scan the drives, it found no lost partitions, but did find about 100gb of data ranging from 2018 up to an hour ago, but none of it looked like what I wanted. Theres really only a few excel files that were on the desktop that I really really want to have recovered, everything else was installed programs. There is a system restore point that was created when the drive was originally cloned, but a scan of that shows it would delete newer drivers, and no programs would be restored so looks like its not much of a restore point *Sad

Is there any way, any way at all, that I can recover this data? How would I find and recover it? Im using programs from EaseUS and used AOMEI to format (set everything to 0s) the original drive that had windows on it.Im laughing at how stupid Ive been in this process, being sleep deprived and treading in waters Ive never been in before has not been good for me lol. Please help!

:)

DVA12924, Jul 29, 2020
  2. qubit Win User

Help! I think i screwed up!!

Isopropyl alcohol is used to clean this stuff off a CPU heatspreader. Now, as you can't wipe it off the pins, I suggest pouring a little alcohol onto it. Then either try the compressed air and/or try the coffee filter paper that MRCL suggested.

There will likely be a small residue, but I don't think a very small amount will affect the CPU.

qubit, Jul 29, 2020
  3. I Screwed Up An W10 Update

Now two options exist:

• Do a repair upgrade which keeps everything and reinstalls windows.
    • Do a system Restore.
    I can provide you steps for the 1st one.

Sumit Dhiman2, Jul 29, 2020
Thema:

I think I screwed up, bad

1. I think I screwed up, bad - Similar Threads - screwed bad

2. Is there any option to create a screw thread in the 3d builder?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Is there any option to create a screw thread in the 3d builder?: Have seen in a German tutorial that it's possible to create a screw thread with the 3d Builder.But the menu they are showing is not available in my version.Am I doing something wrong?Thanks in advance for any comments....
  3. Is there any option to create a screw thread in the 3d builder?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Is there any option to create a screw thread in the 3d builder?: Have seen in a German tutorial that it's possible to create a screw thread with the 3d Builder.But the menu they are showing is not available in my version.Am I doing something wrong?Thanks in advance for any comments....
  4. Installed new BIOS and reset whole TPM. now I’m screwed and can’t log into windows at all

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Installed new BIOS and reset whole TPM. now I’m screwed and can’t log into windows at all: Installed new bios and reset the whole TPM module. Now every time i try to log in it says your pin is no longer available due to changes in security settings click here. When i click it does nothing. This is the only account. No start menu. I’m locked out so none of that....
  5. Installed new BIOS and reset whole TPM. now I’m screwed and can’t log into windows at all

Installed new BIOS and reset whole TPM. now I’m screwed and can’t log into windows at all: Installed new bios and reset the whole TPM module. Now every time i try to log in it says your pin is no longer available due to changes in security settings click here. When i click it does nothing. This is the only account. No start menu. I’m locked out so none of that....
  6. Permissions/ACL screwed up on fresh Windows 11 install

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Permissions/ACL screwed up on fresh Windows 11 install: I recently did a full reinstall of Windows 11 from a USB stick. It saved my old stuff in C:\Windows.old.Since then, it seems a lot of my permissions are screwed up. I am unable to browse to C:\ in explorer at all. Task Manager brings up a UAC prompt before I can run it. I...
  7. Permissions/ACL screwed up on fresh Windows 11 install

Permissions/ACL screwed up on fresh Windows 11 install: I recently did a full reinstall of Windows 11 from a USB stick. It saved my old stuff in C:\Windows.old.Since then, it seems a lot of my permissions are screwed up. I am unable to browse to C:\ in explorer at all. Task Manager brings up a UAC prompt before I can run it. I...
  8. Not all updates showing in systeminfo.exe, am I screwed?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Not all updates showing in systeminfo.exe, am I screwed?: I have frequently updated my laptop in the past few months and am surprised to see only 7 appear. Is there something I am not understanding here? Are preview/windows defender updates counted in here or not? just culminative/security?I will admit I randomly got a feature...
  9. Not all updates showing in systeminfo.exe, am I screwed?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Not all updates showing in systeminfo.exe, am I screwed?: I have frequently updated my laptop in the past few months and am surprised to see only 7 appear. Is there something I am not understanding here? Are preview/windows defender updates counted in here or not? just culminative/security?I will admit I randomly got a feature...
  10. Not all updates showing in systeminfo.exe, am I screwed?