Windows 10: I think I screwed up, bad

Discus and support I think I screwed up, bad in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Very new here so please forgive the lack of profile info/signature if required. I have a 500gb ssd that had windows on it and quite a lot on that... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by DVA12924, Jul 29, 2020.

1. DVA12924 Win User

I think I screwed up, bad

Very new here so please forgive the lack of profile info/signature if required.

I have a 500gb ssd that had windows on it and quite a lot on that drive (450ish GB of programs and files). I also had a few other ssd drives that I used as storage. The drive with Windows was getting very full so I wanted to move it to a bigger 1tb ssd. I was able to clone the disk over without issues.

I then went into bios and set the new ssd as the boot drive and restarted but it still booted from the old disk. Being extremely sleep deprived, I wasnt thinking clearly and trying to follow tutorials on my phone from different sites on how to get windows to boot to the new drive. I stupidly thought maybe I have to format the drive that had windows on it originally so I went and did that and restarted again. I was then met with an error that windows wasnt installed on the drive that I cloned to, but it was, I checked before. Then I realized it wasnt formatted to MBR and thats why it wasnt booting from it. Using command prompt, I cleaned the disk and set it to MBR. Well, I cleaned the disk. Yep. That happened. So now I was left with a bunch of empty drives with unallocated space on them.

I remembered I had a USB with windows recovery/setup on it and popped it in and tried to get windows to restore from the cloned restore but I wouldnt read the data or I didnt know where to find the right file/driver. So I decided itd be great to just reinstall windows, use a 3rd party program to recover the lost partitions and data that would have the full clone on it and try again. But my stupidity didnt end there. Nope. I went 1 step further and reinstalled windows over the cloned drive that was cleaned and set to MBR from diskpart ... the drive I needed to recover and restore.

Using yet more 3rd party software to try to scan the drives, it found no lost partitions, but did find about 100gb of data ranging from 2018 up to an hour ago, but none of it looked like what I wanted. Theres really only a few excel files that were on the desktop that I really really want to have recovered, everything else was installed programs. There is a system restore point that was created when the drive was originally cloned, but a scan of that shows it would delete newer drivers, and no programs would be restored so looks like its not much of a restore point *Sad

Is there any way, any way at all, that I can recover this data? How would I find and recover it? Im using programs from EaseUS and used AOMEI to format (set everything to 0s) the original drive that had windows on it.Im laughing at how stupid Ive been in this process, being sleep deprived and treading in waters Ive never been in before has not been good for me lol. Please help!

:)

DVA12924, Jul 29, 2020
  2. qubit Win User

Help! I think i screwed up!!

Isopropyl alcohol is used to clean this stuff off a CPU heatspreader. Now, as you can't wipe it off the pins, I suggest pouring a little alcohol onto it. Then either try the compressed air and/or try the coffee filter paper that MRCL suggested.

There will likely be a small residue, but I don't think a very small amount will affect the CPU.

qubit, Jul 29, 2020
  3. I Screwed Up An W10 Update

Now two options exist:

• Do a repair upgrade which keeps everything and reinstalls windows.
    • Do a system Restore.
    I can provide you steps for the 1st one.

Sumit Dhiman2, Jul 29, 2020
Thema:

I think I screwed up, bad

1. I think I screwed up, bad - Similar Threads - screwed bad

2. My computer is kinda screwed. HELP

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    My computer is kinda screwed. HELP: So ever since yesterday, i noticed that my disk space was super low. When i was thinking about using disk cleaner, i called my dad. He said i should just move the files to my more storage hard drive and then delete them on my disk, i already had my user file in hard drive,...
  3. Reset and screen screwed up

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Reset and screen screwed up: I did a reset and this is what I have on my screen at start up and can't go any further. What do i need to do? [IMG] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/reset-and-screen-screwed-up/0aa3e291-0bcb-4177-a05d-1c66c768ec88
  4. How Screwed Up is My Windows Installation?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How Screwed Up is My Windows Installation?: Currently running Windows 10 version 1909. Over the past few weeks I've started to notice some odd behavior that's made me think my current installation might be boned and that I need to reinstall. These include: - I can't download anything from the Microsoft Store app,...
  5. May or June update screwed my audio up, and even recent updates do.

May or June update screwed my audio up, and even recent updates do.: So, back whenever the bad windows 10 update was released, I started having major audio glitches. People talking on discord sounded like robots sometimes, audio would suddenly make a loud screeching chirp, audio would become distorted in a very odd way. Now, the issues have...
  6. Onedrive screwed my pc up

Onedrive screwed my pc up: So today I decided to backup my PC desktop toOnedrive. Unfortunately, my laptop was already backed up. This resulted in both my desktop icons from my laptop and my pc being merged. When I tried to stop the merging, the icons just disappeared never to return. How do I revert...
  7. You've screwed with my computer for the last time

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    You've screwed with my computer for the last time: Your latest update has caused all apps including explorer to crash. You're sued and delete this post or ban my profile you're a dead company like Atari....
  8. I clicked the wrong button while downloading minecraft mods, I’m screwed

I clicked the wrong button while downloading minecraft mods, I’m screwed: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/SavedByHisMercy [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/hshngb/i_clicked_the_wrong_button_while_downloading/
  9. driver verifier screwed up my pc.help!

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    driver verifier screwed up my pc.help!: another person on here told me to use driver verifier and now me pc wont even boot properly. can someone please help me fix what this other guy destroyed thanks.?...
  10. Microsoft Windows 10 Update screwed up my Icons AGAIN!!!!

in Windows 10 Customization
    Microsoft Windows 10 Update screwed up my Icons AGAIN!!!!: A recent Windows 10 update changed all my custom Chrome shortcut icons to a blue ball? If I try to make any changes they all revert back to the ball. I am the onle person who uses this computer and have full Admin Rights to make any change, but I have tried all the reported...