Windows 10: i think i'm infected.

Discus and support i think i'm infected. in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; i was trying to download off a website i didn't trust. kaspersky was running, so i figured i'd be fine. i had adblock and clicked on the legitimate... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/kittypea, Nov 1, 2020.

1. i think i'm infected.

i was trying to download off a website i didn't trust. kaspersky was running, so i figured i'd be fine. i had adblock and clicked on the legitimate download link, i was expecting to download a .rar file but it downloaded a .msi installer (sorta like exes, i'm not sure if they're more or less harmful)

i ran the installer without thinking, and it prompted a typical windows installer yes/no box requesting admin permission for an app i've never heard of to make changes to my pc (i'm pretty sure to install the app. i think it was just unwanted software advertising) i declined, and the installer closed, but the .msi file deleted itself from my downloads and wasn't anywhere to be found (not in my recycle bin)

i went back to download the file again, it downloaded a really ambiguous exe that was very blatant malware, so i tried downloading it again and it downloaded the msi for a second time, along with the rar file i was expecting. kaspersky didn't block any of these downloads as unsafe. i didn't run the other exe.

i ran a quick scan with kaspersky and no threats were found. i logged out of chrome and discord immediately and i decided to reset my pc (full hard drive clean, cloud windows 10 download)

did i download malware or just unwanted software? was/is anything on my pc in danger? i'm really paranoid.

submitted by /u/kittypea
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/kittypea, Nov 1, 2020
  2. bruinator Win User

steps taken for infected Pc's.

I was hoping someone could give me a list of step by step instructions you use as a guide to clean virus, malware...etc. so I can keep my PC clean if it gets infected.

thx

bruinator, Nov 1, 2020
  3. steps taken for infected Pc's.

Hi:

There is no one set of "boilerplate", "cookbook" or standard steps.
    Each computer is unique.
    Each malware infection is unique.
    Proper diagnosis, cleanup and repair depends on the particular infection and the system that is infected.
    The process can be tedious and time-consuming, often requiring the use of multiple powerful tools, in the proper sequence.
    Many of them can actually damage the system if deployed improperly by untrained computer users.

Bottom line:
    Malware cleanup is best done with *customized* support provided by trained individuals who know what tools to use and how to use them.

There are a few folks with such expertise here at this forum (I am not one of them).
    And there are a number of reputable computer disinfection fora where trained malware removal experts provide free, custom assistance.

Cheers,

MoxieMomma, Nov 1, 2020
  4. YOU
    You Win User

i think i'm infected.

Thinking about Going back to Win8.1

If want to disable IE, still can. However, can't uninstall it like were able to in XP/98/whatever.
    Here's how, although I find it useful in case Chrome or Firefox stops working and have to re-download it. *Wink
    1. Search for turn windows features on or off and click it in the search results.
    • i think i'm infected. [​IMG]
    2. When the app opens, uncheck Internet Explorer 11.

3. Click Yes on the warning dialog.
    4. Click OK.
    5. Restart for the changes to finish.

Thema:

i think i'm infected.

1. i think i'm infected. - Similar Threads - i'm infected

2. PC crashing with no BSOD. I'm not sure if it's a problem with a driver, the graphics card,...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    PC crashing with no BSOD. I'm not sure if it's a problem with a driver, the graphics card,...: To start things off, I bought an HP Gaming PC back in 2021 TG01-1000 series. I decided that I wanted to upgrade the PC's components over time and decided to upgrade the RAM and add a second Hard Drive during a Black Friday sale in 2022. Everything was working fine, until...
  3. TotalAV Virus?? - I'm scared I've been infected for a long time, please help

in Windows 10 Gaming
    TotalAV Virus?? - I'm scared I've been infected for a long time, please help: So like a year or two ago, I was sure I had a virus. I'm pretty naive, and paranoid,and so I wanted to check. I tried scanning with windows own anti-virus, but nothing came up. I searched the internett, and found multiple youtube videos stating "windows didn't detect all the...
  4. TotalAV Virus?? - I'm scared I've been infected for a long time, please help

TotalAV Virus?? - I'm scared I've been infected for a long time, please help: So like a year or two ago, I was sure I had a virus. I'm pretty naive, and paranoid,and so I wanted to check. I tried scanning with windows own anti-virus, but nothing came up. I searched the internett, and found multiple youtube videos stating "windows didn't detect all the...
  5. I'm infected with Fractureiser virus

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I'm infected with Fractureiser virus: This is a Minecraft mod that I download a month ago, I did not realised it has virus after I download it. I left my laptop for 3 week and came back with 200+ malware/virus inside my laptop. Apparently it is a Fracturereiser virus. "If left unchecked, fractureiser can be...
  6. I'm infected with Fractureiser virus

I'm infected with Fractureiser virus: This is a Minecraft mod that I download a month ago, I did not realised it has virus after I download it. I left my laptop for 3 week and came back with 200+ malware/virus inside my laptop. Apparently it is a Fracturereiser virus. "If left unchecked, fractureiser can be...
  7. I'm infected with Fractureiser virus

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  8. I seem to have a deep infection, I'm having trouble getting rid of it.

I seem to have a deep infection, I'm having trouble getting rid of it.: My issue initially began with some irresponsible internet behavior, which led to compromised credit cards and basically every login I have. I though I had my pc clean and all of my accounts secure and for the most part they are, but it was bugging me that Malwarebytes kept...
  9. [HELP] I think I'm infected with UNKNOWN malware/virus

[HELP] I think I'm infected with UNKNOWN malware/virus: I have a newly bought laptop, an Acer Aspire E 15. What that lead me to think that I'm infected is because when I tried to visit my Windows folder (because I was searching for 'SystemApps' folder to disable Cortana) I saw random weird files with random names and all of the...
  10. Had malware virus infection, now I'm a Built-in Administrator(?)

Had malware virus infection, now I'm a Built-in Administrator(?): Hi all, I suffered an infection yesterday from some soft of Malware/Virus, I believe that I managed to remove the offending program with a bunch of scans from Malwarebytes, SpyBot, AVG, Panda and BitDefender (I went overboard but wanted to make sure my system is clean)....