Windows 10: I think my second HDD is causing file explorer to be very slow to open (I'm assuming...

Discus and support I think my second HDD is causing file explorer to be very slow to open (I'm assuming... in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; As the title says submitted by /u/Christian159260 [link] [comments]... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/Christian159260, Nov 27, 2020.

1. I think my second HDD is causing file explorer to be very slow to open (I'm assuming...

/u/Christian159260, Nov 27, 2020
  2. Deuce642 Win User

windows 10 file explorer opens for a split second then crashes

This problem occurs if I try opening any folder or file explorer itself for example:

• an existing file folder with files in it that is on my desktop,
    • opening the file explorer from the taskbar (I have since unpinned it as this was suggested as a fix in some forums)
    • opening file explorer using the start menu
    • opening file explorer using the windows key + E
    In each case the explorer dialogue box will pop up momentarily then disappear again (perhaps a second or 2 sometimes, other times just a flash.)

So far I have tried:

• ensuring that windows 10 is totally up to date
    • run the sfc scannow - this came up with no error found
    • made sure that the settings for file explorer were set to opening at 'this pc'

I am absolutely out of ideas. Can someone please help?

Deuce642, Nov 27, 2020
  3. Tintai Win User
    Exe file slow to open

I know it's 1GB. I tested this on Win Explorer and Total Com.
    For example 250MB file is opened in ~5 seconds.

@edit: I turned off the pagefile but it don't work.

Tintai, Nov 27, 2020
  4. I think my second HDD is causing file explorer to be very slow to open (I'm assuming...

File Explorer Slow To Open HDD

Your PC might slow down if your hard disk is almost full and you don’t have a lot of free space. In this case, freeing up disk space can help make your PC run better.

To check for low disk space, follow these steps:

• Select the Start button > Settings >
      System > Storage .
    • Under Storage, select your hard disk, and then see what’s taking up space.
    • If you’re running low on disk space, free up your disk space by deleting temporary files and downloads, and empty the recycle bin.

To remove temporary files and downloads, and empty the recycle bin, follow these steps:

• Select the Start button > Settings >
      System > Storage .
    • Under Storage, select This PC, which has a drive letter for your hard disk next to it.
    • Under Storage usage, select Temporary files.
    • On the Temporary files screen, select the Temporary files check box >
      Remove files.
    • On the taskbar, select File Explorer,
      then select the Downloads folder under This PC.
      The Downloads folder is the default file location for most web browsers.
    • See which files are in the Downloads folder, and move the downloads you want to keep to another drive.
    • Go back to the Temporary files screen in Settings, select the
      Downloads folder check box > Remove files.
    • Go to your desktop, and then open Recycle Bin.
    • Move any files you want to keep, and then select Empty Recycle Bin.
    • Restart your PC, and then see if it’s running better.

If the issues persists, use the Check Disk tool (chkdsk). Chkdsk’s basic function is to scan the integrity of the file system and file system metadata on a disk volume and fix any logical file system errors that it finds. To run the Check Disk tool, follow
    these steps:

• Press Windows key + X and select Command Prompt (Admin).
    • Type C: and then press Enter.
    • Type chkdsk /r and then press Enter to scan for issues on the hard disk.
    • Restart your PC, and then see if it’s running better.

Note: If the drive has files that are in use, you’ll be asked to schedule a scan for the next restart.

Keep us updated on the results.

Aileen Alf, Nov 27, 2020
Thema:

I think my second HDD is causing file explorer to be very slow to open (I'm assuming...

1. I think my second HDD is causing file explorer to be very slow to open (I'm assuming... - Similar Threads - second HDD causing

2. File explorer working very slow

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File explorer working very slow: so when I want to open a folder on a solid state drive or hard drive, the name and thumbnail of the file disappear as in my attachment then "working on it" appears, then after that the file can be accessed. The steps i have done :Restart my laptopRestart Windows Explorer via...
  3. file explorer very slow / not responding

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    file explorer very slow / not responding: file explorer very slow / not responding. takes for ever to come respond.done the clear cache,sfc check and options setingsno change.only started after the latest update....
  4. All files very slow to open from file explorer or desktop

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    All files very slow to open from file explorer or desktop: All of a sudden, I am experiencing extremely slow opening of all files whether opened from file explorer or the desktop. When I open any type of file from file explorer or desktop, I get a spinning wheel for about 50 seconds before even the program splash screen e.g. Word...
  5. All files very slow to open from file explorer or desktop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    All files very slow to open from file explorer or desktop: All of a sudden, I am experiencing extremely slow opening of all files whether opened from file explorer or the desktop. When I open any type of file from file explorer or desktop, I get a spinning wheel for about 50 seconds before even the program splash screen e.g. Word...
  6. All files very slow to open from file explorer or desktop

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. Very slow show of files in Explorer

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Very slow show of files in Explorer: Dear All, First post in this forum, thanks everybody in advance, and greetings from Switzerland. As the subject says, I have horribly slow performances when navigating in folders of my external drive (I copied the content in my fixed SDD and it doesn't change). Please check...
  8. File explorer/search very very very slow

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    File explorer/search very very very slow: Green search bar takes 10+ minutes to complete its progress across the bar .. working on it ... ..... it says - really i think!! Since 20H2 'update' the whole OS seems slow to respond and react, with all apps very slow - obviously suspect the file access an search as the...
  9. my pc Exploring file very slow

my pc Exploring file very slow: my use windows 10 but pc was very slow the file expolring https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-pc-exploring-file-very-slow/5690a333-42c4-45af-8c6a-cd8405889284
  10. Very slow response when opening programs and file explorer

Very slow response when opening programs and file explorer: When opening programs and shortcut to folders that are located on the task bar there is a several second delay before the program or folder opens. The delay is approx. 5 - 20 seconds. It doesn't happen all the time. I have searched the web and I used the command line SFC...