Windows 10: I think my windows/hard drive is corrupt

Discus and support I think my windows/hard drive is corrupt in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; There are many things wrong with my computer, notably I can cannot system reset my computer, configure my new ssd, and check properties for pretty much... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by TheRealMeer, Oct 5, 2019.

1. I think my windows/hard drive is corrupt

There are many things wrong with my computer, notably I can cannot system reset my computer, configure my new ssd, and check properties for pretty much anything. I have windows 10.

:)

TheRealMeer, Oct 5, 2019

2. I think my c drive corrupted

1. How old is your hard drive?
    2. laptop or desktop?
    3. What makes you think it is corrupted?

Canadian Tech, Oct 5, 2019
  3. CANNOT DELETE A CORRUPTED FILE ON MY EXTERNAL HARD DRIVE ON WINDOWS 10

Hi Leenus,

Hard drive and other external memory storage can be corrupted on account of bad sectors which are no longer accessible or writable due to permanent damage. Your device or hard drive could also be infected by some type of malware. These are some of the possible
    causes why you are experiencing the error "ERROR 0x80070570: The file or directory is corrupted or unreadable". To address this concern, we suggest performing the following troubleshooting methods:

Method 1

Check and repair disk errors or corrupted file system. This process can fix "The file or directory is corrupted and unreadable" error caused by bad sectors, virus infection or file system corruption. To do so, follow these steps:

• Back up all of the files on the hard drive (except for the corrupted file).
    • Using Search, type CMD.
    • From the search results, right-click on Command Prompt and then choose Run as administrator.
    • On the Command Prompt window, type chkdsk /f h: (h stands for your hard drive) and then hit the Enter key.
    • Delete the corrupted file and check if you'll experience the same error.

Method 2

Format the hard drive. You can manually format the hard drive to permanently remove "The file or directory is corrupted and unreadable" error. These are the steps on how to format an external drive:

• Plug the hard drive into your computer.
    • Back up all of the files on the hard drive (except for the corrupted file).
    • Open File Explorer and then click This PC.
    • Click the external hard drive's name, click on Manage tab and then click on Format.
    • Click Start and then click OK.

Keep us updated with the result.

Darleen Pen, Oct 5, 2019
  4. photonboy Win User

I think my windows/hard drive is corrupt

Corrupt Hard Drive! URGENT!!

How to AVOID hard drive data corruption

There are several ways your hard drive can become corrupt:
    1) Insufficient cooling (especially for newest 7200 RPM's)
    2) Poor quality power supply or insufficient power
    3) Driver/software conflicts
    4) Damaged drive during shipping (it happens more often than you might think)

Steps to prevent problems:
    -buy a good quality power supply that meets your power needs. If you paid $25 then watch out! Take the time to do a little research and read customer feedback.

-Immediately run the latest hard drive diagnostics from the Manufacturer upon arrival of drive

-Go to Power Options and turn your hard drive(s) off after 30 min or so depending on use. This is especially important for a second drive that is hardly used. Why have it spinning and adding noise and heat?

-Ensure proper cooling for your case. I recommend a 12cm fan at the front, pulling air in across your hard drive(s) and a 12 cm fan at the rear drawing it out. Leave SPACE between your drives. I have an Antec P160 that has the power supply on the bottom with a divider so it doesn't add heat to the inside of the case. Many people with Cool 'n Quiet don't realize that they need to install the proper CPU drivers AND turn the Power Options to "Minimal Power Management." This cuts down on the heat inside the case.

-driver/software issues are rare and difficult to troubleshoot. Have a hard drive with no important data, then add files and drivers a few at a time then burn to a DVD-RW and verify the data (Nero). Also, make sure your drivers are up to date. The motherboard drivers are usually more up to date at the chipset manufacturers such as NVidia or VIA rather than the motherboard manufacturers. Run diagnostics and tests as soon as Windows and your basic drivers are installed, then make a backup of your cdrive before proceeding.

-Use the Manufacturer install tools AND run diagnostics on your disk before installing Windows. Then, when starting Windows installation do NOT choose the Quick format. Choosing the long format looks for any bad spots on the drive thus building up a table BEFORE installing Windows so that Windows doesn't install on to bad sectors thus creating issues.

-run S.M.A.R.T. tool (such as HDD Thermometer) periodically. Many of these are quite good. It is absolutely essential to know what your temperature is. You should be aiming for 35deg Celsius. Such tools may prevent hard drives from shutting down as per Power Options so you may want to run it initially until you are satisfied, then only periodically after that.

Finally, make sure to backup your c-drive to DVD-R and periodically back up your data. There are several programs which vary in price considerably. (Norton Ghost, Acronis True Image, Paragon Drive Image (i think), Nero and more) Find a solution that works for you and make sure it works. Some software does not work with SATA or a SATA image can't be restored on an IDE drive. Type up the steps to take in the event of Hard drive failure or Corruption and have a paper copy handy!!

Data corruption may be happening right now and you don't even know it! Hard drive corruption varies from minimal to BSOD to complete drive failure. I hope the above information helps a few people.

photonboy, Oct 5, 2019
Thema:

I think my windows/hard drive is corrupt

1. I think my windows/hard drive is corrupt - Similar Threads - hard drive corrupt

2. I think my windows is corrupted

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    I think my windows is corrupted: I think my windows is corruptedWhen im trying to run new world my game wont load or start and i get an error message saying Error 0xc0000142 and after that it says untrusted system file sensapi.dll. I also cant do a system reset on the pc because it keeps saying something...
  3. Corrupted hard drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Corrupted hard drive: Hello I had a hard drive go out on me. It says "The file or Directory is corrupted and unreadable". I tried restarting the computer and using "chkdsk x: /f /r" But it didn't work. some of the the results are: 89600 file records processed. File verification completed....
  4. I think my Windows is corrupting.

in Windows 10 Customization
    I think my Windows is corrupting.: I will try my best to summarize this in the best way I can. I believe my Windows install is corrupting or a virus is messing with it. My Windows store failed downloads from error code 0x80073DOA, so I tried resetting my Windows store, which ended up making it disappear from...
  5. corrupted hard drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    corrupted hard drive: I was told I had a corrupted hard drive and so I bought an ssd drive to replace it. now I cant get windows to down load or to read anything on the pc. It says that I have 2 hard drives both new WD2t. and a Samsung 256gb ssd. but will not let me load windows onto either of...
  6. Corrupted Hard Drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Corrupted Hard Drive: How do you reformat a corrected hard drive? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/corrupted-hard-drive/b4812ab5-d725-4cac-9aaf-8a1b884873f8
  7. Hard Drive Corruption.

Hard Drive Corruption.: Hi everyone, my machine improper shut downs, many times and hard closing programs. I was looking for solutions and I found out one by check disk. Can you tell me how can I do that? Thanks...
  8. I think my windows 10 is corrupted.

I think my windows 10 is corrupted.: So a few days ago windows did a force update. After that I could load into windows but everything was super slow. Like it took 20 min to load the taskbar and desktop background, and another 5-10 to open up and use anything else. It was basically useless. So I shut it off for...
  9. Can't rename my hard drives i think?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Can't rename my hard drives i think?: Yea this is strange i tried renaming my 500 GB SSD i just popped in, i have total ownership administrator rights, BUT when i right click select properties type in new name Documents "msgbox you need permissions bla bla" press ok, BUT NO NAME CHANGE. hmm i tried my other hard...
  10. Corrupted hard drives

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Corrupted hard drives: Hi I am sure this has been covered elsewhere but I can't find it. My external drives were set to 'turn off write-cache' and we had a black out. The result is a 3 Tb Seagate external drive, a 2 Tb Seagate external drive, and a 500 Gb portable drive are no longer seen by...