Windows 10: I think System Restore broke my Windows 10, but no solutions work.

Discus and support I think System Restore broke my Windows 10, but no solutions work. in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; I bought a brand new laptop and recieved it on Friday January 26th. It's a Lenovo L340. The touchpad was awful to use, so I followed the advice from... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by RekalaRain, Jan 28, 2020.

1. I think System Restore broke my Windows 10, but no solutions work.

I bought a brand new laptop and recieved it on Friday January 26th. It's a Lenovo L340.

The touchpad was awful to use, so I followed the advice from someone who'd bought the same laptop, and installed Windows Precision tocuhpad drivers. That completely broke the touchpad with the error message ”Insufficient system resources exist to complete the API” or something similar. I went to the Windows website and re-downloaded my laptop's original touchpad driver – the one it came with. But I got the exact same result with the same error. So at that point, my only solution was to do a full system restore.

The restore took far longer than the anticipated 40 minutes – roughly 4 hours. It finally completed and my laptop booted up without any error messages, but since then, Windows has been acting strange:

- A few of my programs have crashed while in use.

- While using Windows Explorer and trying to create new files or folders, I have to hover over 'new' for upwards of 10 or 15 seconds before the pop-up menu will appear.

- Programs and browsers are often slow to start or react.

- Windows Update informs me my device is missing important safety and quality related updates.

I tried to run Windows Update, but every time it tries to install, I get the error message 0x80073712 'Certain update files are missing or are experiencing problems'.

What I've tried so far:

I downloaded and ran Windows Update Troubleshooter. It told me it couldn't identify any issues.

I ran Deployment Image Servicing and Management DISM. It completed with the message: ”The restore operation completed successfully. The operation completed successfully.”

I then ran System File Checker SFC. It completed with the message: ”Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files and successfully repaired them.”

I then tried to run Windows Update again, but got the exact same error, and the previously mentioned problems are all still present.

What do I do now? At this point, I can't think of anything else to do than return it to the store I bought it from and hope they'll either fix it under warranty or give me a new laptop, but I'd really prefer to handle this issue on my own.

Thanks.

:)

RekalaRain, Jan 28, 2020

2. Windows XP PRO error after restore

System restore is handy when it works like it did for me 2 days ago saving the need to reinstall all of my software as well as windows, id suggest using norton Ghost 12 for an excellent system restore feature.

jocksteeluk, Jan 28, 2020
  3. pepanee Win User
    pepanee, Jan 28, 2020
  4. Ahhzz Win User

I think System Restore broke my Windows 10, but no solutions work.

Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Jan 28, 2020
Thema:

I think System Restore broke my Windows 10, but no solutions work.

1. I think System Restore broke my Windows 10, but no solutions work. - Similar Threads - System Restore broke

2. Hello? I think my desktop broke.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Hello? I think my desktop broke.: I woke up one day to find out that there is a purple glitch on my desktop. It didnt have a particular shape and the edge of it was flickering now and there. It is only on the background or wallpaper when i open a application, it dissappears....
  3. Hello? I think my desktop broke.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Hello? I think my desktop broke.: I woke up one day to find out that there is a purple glitch on my desktop. It didnt have a particular shape and the edge of it was flickering now and there. It is only on the background or wallpaper when i open a application, it dissappears....
  4. Hello? I think my desktop broke.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. I think I broke my PC...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I think I broke my PC...: I was looking for a way to change my User filename and followed the steps in this article to do so: https://www.makeuseof.com/windows-11-change-user-profile-folder-name/I'm now in a situation where I can't sign in with my MS account the one my PC defaults to is a local...
  6. I think I broke my PC...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I think I broke my PC...: I was looking for a way to change my User filename and followed the steps in this article to do so: https://www.makeuseof.com/windows-11-change-user-profile-folder-name/I'm now in a situation where I can't sign in with my MS account the one my PC defaults to is a local...
  7. I think I broke windows

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    I think I broke windows: Ok, so, I downloaded a theme for windows 10. It was in .theme format My screen went black. I hard-restarted held off button on my laptop and turned back on and it was still black all I could do was login rn I am on my linux dual boot and IDK what to do I tried deleting...
  8. i think i broke windows

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    i think i broke windows: So i found out i needed to delete unused files to make my pc run faster. I think the ones i deleted were in the C: Local Disk thing and it was the windows folder. and some other folders i dont remember. I already tried to recover some files in the recycling Bin but they...
  9. System restore broke everything

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    System restore broke everything: After doing some things and installing things I no longer needed I decided to restore to a point I created manually before doing the things. The system was working fine but I decided to give this system restore a try. After waiting for hours it finally finished... Everything...
  10. system restore broke computer

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    system restore broke computer: I used system restore and now my computer wont boot. Im on failed automatic repair. Other restore points fail. I even get an error on restting the PC. I have an omen desktop with Windows ten, only a couple years old. No recent changes to the pc other than accidentally...