Windows 10: I think the win10 recovery utility killed my harddrive.

Discus and support I think the win10 recovery utility killed my harddrive. in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; So I was having issues with my computer not booting up, and I used the automatic recovery utility that comes up when windows 10 fails to boot properly.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by StephenBritt, Feb 16, 2021.

1. I think the win10 recovery utility killed my harddrive.

So I was having issues with my computer not booting up, and I used the automatic recovery utility that comes up when windows 10 fails to boot properly. Ran a ckcdsk and it replaced a bunch of files so I thought "cool maybe that was it" and booted up again.

This time I got a blank screen and a small window that kept popping up saying there was a file system error with wacom.exe and the error code 1073741819. The window with the error would not clear when I hit okay, and it kept flickering like the system was trying to bring up the window repeatedly.

At this point I'm a little panicked so I boot from a flash drive and attempt to do a reinstall of windows 10 while attempting to save my files. I set everything up and walk away from the computer for a bit in order to let it do its thing. I come back to the system having shut itself down. I attempt to reboot without the flash drive and the computer is telling me to insert a valid boot device. I check my motherboards bio and it doesn't see the harddrive at all. I attempt to use the sata cable that is being used on the DVD drive that it can see, but still nothing. Knowing the result ahead of time but wanting to be thorough, I try booting from the flash drive again to attempt another reinstall: Doesn't see the harddrive, as expected.

So here's my question: Am I out of luck? Does windows 10 have a history of killing harddrives? The thing is only 4 months old, at most so I doubt its wear and tear. Not to mention it was fine until all this recovery nonsense.

:)

StephenBritt, Feb 16, 2021
  2. quickie Win User

System Recovery on Different HardDrive

I got the same harddrive drive, just to be safe.

But I did try putting the recovery disc on another computer. It would seem to work as I got to the recovery options (but obviously didn't install the image).

quickie, Feb 16, 2021
  3. infocus Win User
    Best gaming harddrive Sugestion ???

Seagate states on their 750gb,32mb cache harddrive that the best application is video surveillance.(liquor stores,how very sad and completly overpriced for the amount of problems they have).Yet Passmark lists this near the top of their harddrive page.Any one have a suggestion for something that will last.(maybe samsung???)
    Also I was considering a Raidmax hybrid 2 sli 630w powersupply.Any thoughts on Raidmax??

infocus, Feb 16, 2021
  4. I think the win10 recovery utility killed my harddrive.

streetfighter 2, Feb 16, 2021
Thema:

I think the win10 recovery utility killed my harddrive.

1. I think the win10 recovery utility killed my harddrive. - Similar Threads - win10 recovery utility

2. This new Windows update has I think killed my PC.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    This new Windows update has I think killed my PC.: I had not installed Windows update for well over 2 weeks It takes a huge amount of your internet and I wanted that internet to play games. So one day yesterday I decided to install all the updates. The next day today when I open my computer, it does not work properly. The day...
  3. Win10 Update Killed My WiFi Speed

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Win10 Update Killed My WiFi Speed: On 11/14/19, I noticed that my wifi speed on my PC had dropped from pretty decent to dead slow. I'm talking ~1-2Mbps slow. That's dial-up speed. Over the next two days, I tested it many times, rebooted multiple times, adjusted the WiFi card's antennas multiple times, rebooted...
  4. recovery after harddrive failure

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    recovery after harddrive failure: before I had win 10 pro, office 365. The harddrive failed, the shop replaced it. Now, I have win 10 home, activated, associated with my account, but no pro and no office 365....
  5. windows 10 update killed my harddrive, what to do now?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    windows 10 update killed my harddrive, what to do now?: so, last night when I need to turn off my computer, it gave me the option “turn Off and update“. alright, seems there's no other choice unless I'm willing to pay for my 700w power supply forever. So I turned off my computer, and left it alone for updating thing. then, this...
  6. Win10 update kills my laptop

Win10 update kills my laptop: After a recent update, the laptop went back to the last app before the update, but could not open any other app except the file directory. Subsequently this app also disappeared and only the file app was functioning. On seeing only the C directory using the file app, I...
  7. Win10 thinks my wife is a child

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Win10 thinks my wife is a child: I can't change her from child to adult. I have tried to create a new account as an adult, with a different email address, but in the end it changes her account type to a child again. Any ideas? Thanks 116624
  8. Win10 thinks my wife is a child

in Windows 10 Support
    Win10 thinks my wife is a child: I can't change her from child to adult. I have tried to create a new account as an adult, with a different email address, but in the end it changes her account type to a child again. Any ideas? Thanks 116624
  9. Recovery points are killed

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Recovery points are killed: Hello from Germany. On my HDD there are two partitions, one with Win 7 and one with Win 10, chosen by the Win-Boot-Manager. If I start Win 7 all the recovery points from Win 10 are lost. But starting Win 10 all the "7-points" are still there. Why that and ... how to...
  10. can i restore my harddrive files to prior to win10 install?

can i restore my harddrive files to prior to win10 install?: my son accidentally installed win 10 and wiped out my harddive. Can I restore my files from my harddrive ? 51129