Windows 10: I think Windows 10 2004/20H2 is causing my USB-C ports to not function on my laptop

Discus and support I think Windows 10 2004/20H2 is causing my USB-C ports to not function on my laptop in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; Wondering if anyone else is having this issue, or better yet, has solved it. The machine in question is a Dell Precision 7720, with a Skylake i7 and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/We1tfunk, Jan 4, 2021.

1. I think Windows 10 2004/20H2 is causing my USB-C ports to not function on my laptop

Wondering if anyone else is having this issue, or better yet, has solved it.

The machine in question is a Dell Precision 7720, with a Skylake i7 and Alpine Ridge TB3 controller. Noticed USB-C acting weird when 2004 was pushed, and as of 20H2 it works maybe 20% of the time with my devices. Most of the time, things will connect for a split second, but then they disconnect.

I've done a fresh reinstall and the problem is there pretty much out of the box, letting Windows pull drivers on its own. I've tried installing everything pertaining to it from Dell as well, no change.

The only way I was able to suss out that it was a software problem and not a hardware problem is by installing Ubuntu and trying the same thing all over again: All devices worked perfectly under Ubuntu, no problems whatsoever.

At which point I began experimenting with older Windows builds, starting at 1607 and going up to 1903 (where I'm currently at). Again, everything works perfectly, no problems whatsoever. It's only from 2004 onwards that things begin going sideways with 20H2 making the port almost entirely unusable.

Google has failed me in trying to wrap my head around this issue, the only thing remotely close is an article detailing how Microsoft changed something with DMA and there needing to be some fixes for TB3 SSDs in 2004/20H2, but that was it.

Any pointers/advice/etc is appreciated.

submitted by /u/We1tfunk
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/We1tfunk, Jan 4, 2021

2. Why USB C ports on different laptops have differing functionality

I have 2 new laptops - One an HP Pavilion and the other an Avita Liber , Each laptop has a usb c port . However the properties and support of each of these C ports seem different. Someone then mentioned that different ports support different functions'. From the data below please help me to identify the scope of my usb c ports and what is the difference in the ports of these two laptops.

I buy a USB C dock with vga, hdmi, usb 3 A type female and PD ports
    I think Windows 10 2004/20H2 is causing my USB-C ports to not function on my laptop [​IMG]

All outputs work on the Avita when i plug in an external HDD (USB) or a projector (vga) of output to my TV (hdmi) but none work when i use this dock on the HP laptop

The HP laptop C port has this symbol
    I think Windows 10 2004/20H2 is causing my USB-C ports to not function on my laptop [​IMG]

The Avita laptop C Port has this symbol

perfection, Jan 4, 2021
  3. CLY
    cly Win User
    USB-C to Display port

Do all USB-C ports support display port? I am thinking of picking up a cheap laptop but want to be able to connect two additional displays if needed. The laptop has an HDMI and a USB-C Gen 1. Ace Aspire R R5. thanks

4. Anibor Win User

I think Windows 10 2004/20H2 is causing my USB-C ports to not function on my laptop

Why USB C ports on different laptops have differing functionality

There are different implementations of the USB-C specifications. Some are more complete, some are restricted. The functions supported should be detailed in the computers documentation. Otherwise, it´s a trial-and-error process.

In general, a USB-C port supports PD (Power Delivery, bi-directional high-speed power charging up to 100 W), data transfers at Gen. 1 or Gen. 2 "speed", and video output.

Anibor, Jan 4, 2021
Thema:

I think Windows 10 2004/20H2 is causing my USB-C ports to not function on my laptop

1. I think Windows 10 2004/20H2 is causing my USB-C ports to not function on my laptop - Similar Threads - 2004 20H2 causing

2. My laptop won't charge my phone via the usb-c port.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My laptop won't charge my phone via the usb-c port.: My laptop is about 4 years old and for quite a while I've been charging my phone via USB-C because it's quick, easy, and effective. But for the past couple of weeks my laptop has been very on and off when charging my phone. When I try to just normally charge my phone after...
  3. My laptop won't charge my phone via the usb-c port.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    My laptop won't charge my phone via the usb-c port.: My laptop is about 4 years old and for quite a while I've been charging my phone via USB-C because it's quick, easy, and effective. But for the past couple of weeks my laptop has been very on and off when charging my phone. When I try to just normally charge my phone after...
  4. All Port USB Not Function in windows 10

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    All Port USB Not Function in windows 10: Please help in my office there are several PC problems with the port USB, all USB ports did not function the error is "windows cannot start this hardware device because its configuration information in the registry is incomplete or damaged. code 19" please help.Thank you...
  5. All Port USB Not Function in windows 10

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    All Port USB Not Function in windows 10: Please help in my office there are several PC problems with the port USB, all USB ports did not function the error is "windows cannot start this hardware device because its configuration information in the registry is incomplete or damaged. code 19" please help.Thank you...
  6. What’s Up With My Usb-C Ports?

What’s Up With My Usb-C Ports?: So just recently with no cause my pc’s usb c ports aren’t accepting my mouse which is hooked up to a usb-c converter. Now my laptop will charge front those ports but for some reason neither of my devices are even recognized within my device manager. Does anyone have some...
  7. Can't update to 2004/20H2 Windows think i am running on a USB stick

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Can't update to 2004/20H2 Windows think i am running on a USB stick: Almost 2 years ago i cloned my OS HDD instead of using a image because i had done it in the past without problem and also due to lack of space to put the image. After the clone was done i swapped their place inside my pc and which drive to use to boot in the bios. Used the pc...
  8. USB port not functioning

USB port not functioning: Hello there, this morning my laptop's USB port was working just fine. But for some reason, the USB port on the right is not working. Is there a fix to it? What causes this to happen?...
  9. Why USB C ports on different laptops have differing functionality

Why USB C ports on different laptops have differing functionality: I have 2 new laptops - One an HP Pavilion and the other an Avita Liber , Each laptop has a usb c port . However the properties and support of each of these C ports seem different. Someone then mentioned that different ports support different functions'. From the data below...
  10. Issue with 2004 and USB C ports?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Issue with 2004 and USB C ports?: I recently updated to 2004 from 1903 Home. Yesterday my USB C port was working fine. But today neither my phone or headset is being detected by my USB C port. Is there some compatibility issue with 2004 and USB C ports? I find it strange everything was working fine yesterday...