Windows 10: I tried reducing my latency on windows 10, ended a task in performance mode. now my apps...

Discus and support I tried reducing my latency on windows 10, ended a task in performance mode. now my apps... in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; Hi all. So I thought I'd make a post on here as I have absolutely no idea what i've done wrong here. If this is the wrong place to post please direct... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/Accomplished-Room-14, Oct 21, 2020.

1. I tried reducing my latency on windows 10, ended a task in performance mode. now my apps...

Hi all. So I thought I'd make a post on here as I have absolutely no idea what i've done wrong here. If this is the wrong place to post please direct me to the correct place and ill delete this!?

So just now, i was trying to find ways of ending background processes on my PC so that I could try to reduce the latency and CPU usage whilst producing in Ableton Live.

Ive gone onto performance mode and ended a windows related task, im pretty sure it was named internet explorer or windows explorer or something.. anyway, it basically sent my PC into my background color only and i tried to press some buttons to see if i could undo it and nothing.. I tried to have a look on task manager as that was the only thing i could think of opening with keyboard commands but no luck in finding what i just ended lol.

I restarted my pc and it seemed fine until i realised now none of my windows apps are working and my audio isnt working.. ableton is recognising my external sound card as well but windows cant open any apps and cant troubleshoot anything.

What in the world have i done!? i just wanted to make some tunes with lower latency lol. someone please help me out before i lose my mind!! appreciate any and all info and can try to give more info if needed to describe whats going on!

Thankyou wonderful people of reddit!

submitted by /u/Accomplished-Room-14
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/Accomplished-Room-14, Oct 21, 2020

2. Windows 10 Task Manager "End Task" does not end task.

Hi Glenn,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community.

1) Does it show any error message while performing End Task Through
    Task Manager?

I suggest you to perform Safe Mode with Networking and then try to end the task and check if you’re able to

Safe mode:

Please follow below steps:

• Click on power button at left bottom corner, press and hold
      Shift key and click on Restart.
    • Click on Troubleshoot.
    • Click on Advanced options.
    • Click on Startup Settings.
    • Click on Restart.
    • When your PC starts up, you'll see a light blue screen with the Startup Settings menu. You can now choose an option using your keyboard (number keys or function keys). To start up in Safe Mode, press
      4 or F4. To start up in Safe Mode with networking, press
      5 or F5. To start up in Safe Mode with the Command Prompt, press
      6 or F6. If you change your mind and decide you don't want to boot into Safe Mode after all, hit
      Enter to boot normally.
    Let us know the status of the issue.

Thanks.

Anil Madishetty, Oct 21, 2020
  3. aerosplat Win User
    Windows 10 Changes to Reduce Audio Latency - Legacy Mode Still Supported?

I do a lot of work with audio signal path artifact correction and, specifically, correction of Windows Sound Mapper audio for specific listening hardware and environments. Audio signal path latency is not an issue for me because I can correct for it in
    the video players (VLC Media Player, Cyberlink PowerDVD) I'm using.

I've recently transitioned from Windows 7 to Windows 10 and have noticed some problems with audio glitches. I've followed all of the advice out there to fix this (driver update, windows update, BIOS update, stopping unnecessary processes/services, etc.,
    etc.) but have not succeeded in getting glitch-free audio.

The evidence suggests that the culprit may be how Windows 10 handles audio device drivers that weren't specifically written for Windows 10. In Windows 7, the OS used a fixed 10ms buffer from which the audio device driver would fill its own buffer. As long
    as the device buffer wasn't larger than the OS buffer (resulting in buffer underruns or a total failure of the sound device to function at all), audio was glitch free, but, as expected, it included a minimum of 10ms of latency because of the fixed buffer size
    within the OS. For real-time audio processing where you're trying to eliminate latency wherever possible, 10ms of fixed latency was a problem that Microsoft addressed within Windows 10. Under Windows 10, the OS allows the audio device driver to specify the
    desired buffer size up to a maximum of 10ms. Because Windows 10 eliminates the fixed 10ms audio buffer on the OS side, audio latency can be significantly reduced... if the audio device driver knows how to inform the OS of the desired buffer size.

Now, you would think that Windows 10 could still work with legacy audio drivers if, unless told otherwise, it still assumed a 10ms buffer from which the audio device driver could draw its data. Unfortunately, this does not appear to be the case. I have
    evidence from two specific cases of attempting to use legacy audio drivers with Windows 10 that suggest the OS is not defaulting to a 10ms buffer.

Example 1: Using Synchronous Audio Router (SAR, an app that allows creation of synthetic ASIO audio input/output devices) to capture Windows Sound Mapper output to reroute it to Ableton, through a VST Finite Impulse Response correction filter, and finally
    through a Roland Octa-capture to speakers. Under Windows 7, this configuration worked flawlessly with ASIO buffer sizes up to 10ms. Under Windows 10, however, this configuration is not stable (results in continuous buffer underruns) beyond an ASIO buffer
    size of 5.3ms. The Roland Octa-capture needs an ASIO buffer size of at least 8ms to guarantee glitch-free audio, so the 5.3ms that Windows 10 is forcing upon this configuration makes glitch-free audio impossible.

Example 2: Once again, using SAR to capture Windows Sound Mapper output to reroute it via ASIO4ALL to Ableton, through a VST Finite Impulse Response correction filter, and finally through ASIO4ALL to a laptop internal sound device to internal speakers.
    Just like with example 1, under Windows 7, this configuration provided glitch-free audio with ASIO buffer sizes up to 10ms. Under Windows 10, however, this configuration is not stable (results in continuous buffer underruns) beyond an ASIO buffer size of
    1.3ms. Just as with example 1, a 1.3ms buffer within ASIO4ALL is not long enough to guarantee glitch-free audio.

In both of these cases, the actual ASIO drivers (Roland Octa-capture and ASIO4ALL) are legacy drivers that weren't specifically written for Windows 10 and its new "latency-reducing" audio buffering architecture. Instead of defaulting to the legacy 10ms
    buffer to accommodate the legacy drivers, however, the evidence suggests Windows 10 is still attempting to employ "latency-reducing" buffer sizes that simply aren't appropriate for the legacy drivers.

Finally - the question: Is there any way to force Windows 10 into "legacy audio mode" where it always uses a 10ms buffer, just like Windows 7 did?

I apologize for being so verbose; it just seems that there is a metric ton of advice online for correcting Windows 10 audio problems and none of the advice gets to the root of the problem.

Thanks so much!

-Dale

aerosplat, Oct 21, 2020
  4. I tried reducing my latency on windows 10, ended a task in performance mode. now my apps...

Windows 10 self installing apps I have uninstalled!

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

I suggest you to follow the below steps and check if it helps:

Step 1: I suggest you to end the task in task manager.

• Go to task bar

• Right click on task bar

• Select task manager

• Click on apps and end the task.
    Step 2: Go to appwiz.cpl and locate to the apps, right click on apps and uninstall apps.

If the issue persists I suggest you to create new user account and check if it helps.

Step 3: You may check the same issue with the new user account.

Try these steps to create a new user account and check if it fixes the issue. Refer to the steps below to create a new User Account:

• Go to Settings.

• Choose Accounts
      and then select Other User Accounts towards the left.

• Select Add an Account.

• Enter a user name and hit Next.

• Click on Finish.

• Sign out from the current Account and Log into the new account.

• Check if issue persists.
    Please let us know if you need further assistance.

Thank you.

Divya Murugan, Oct 21, 2020
Thema:

I tried reducing my latency on windows 10, ended a task in performance mode. now my apps...

1. I tried reducing my latency on windows 10, ended a task in performance mode. now my apps... - Similar Threads - tried reducing latency

2. Hi, I accidently clicked end task in task manager on the task manager. Now my whole screen...

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Hi, I accidently clicked end task in task manager on the task manager. Now my whole screen...: Hi, I accidently clicked end task in task manager on the task manager. Now my whole screen is black and only my email and internet browser is working. Please help....
  3. Hi, I accidently clicked end task in task manager on the task manager. Now my whole screen...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Hi, I accidently clicked end task in task manager on the task manager. Now my whole screen...: Hi, I accidently clicked end task in task manager on the task manager. Now my whole screen is black and only my email and internet browser is working. Please help....
  4. Hi, I accidently clicked end task in task manager on the task manager. Now my whole screen...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. recently i updated my windows 10 laptop and now the performance has reduced by 50% pls help...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    recently i updated my windows 10 laptop and now the performance has reduced by 50% pls help...: recently i updated my windows 10 laptop and now the performance has reduced by 50% pls help me with the problem specsspecs:-hp pavillion 15 gaming laptopi5gtx 1650i tried to uninstall the windows update but nothing changedi figured out that the security pack update when...
  6. recently i updated my windows 10 laptop and now the performance has reduced by 50% pls help...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    recently i updated my windows 10 laptop and now the performance has reduced by 50% pls help...: recently i updated my windows 10 laptop and now the performance has reduced by 50% pls help me with the problem specsspecs:-hp pavillion 15 gaming laptopi5gtx 1650i tried to uninstall the windows update but nothing changedi figured out that the security pack update when...
  7. recently i updated my windows 10 laptop and now the performance has reduced by 50% pls help...

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  8. ending tasks and accidentally ended a task that is my desktop and taskbar

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    ending tasks and accidentally ended a task that is my desktop and taskbar: I was going through and ending tasks and accidentally ended a task that is my desktop and taskbar. When I minimize task manager there’s just a black screen. submitted by /u/prestoncollins [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/gomd62/please_help/
  9. Windows 10 20H1 improves video performance, reduces latency

in Windows 10 News
    Windows 10 20H1 improves video performance, reduces latency: Microsoft has already wrapped up development on Windows 10 20H1, also known as version 2004 and the update could arrive as early as April. Unlike Windows 10’s minor November 2019 Update release, Windows 10 version 2004 will finally give Windows users something new to try. In...
  10. Windows 10 Changes to Reduce Audio Latency - Legacy Mode Still Supported?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Windows 10 Changes to Reduce Audio Latency - Legacy Mode Still Supported?: I do a lot of work with audio signal path artifact correction and, specifically, correction of Windows Sound Mapper audio for specific listening hardware and environments. Audio signal path latency is not an issue for me because I can correct for it in the video players (VLC...