Windows 10: I tried to change my Windows file directory name but forgot to backup

Discus and support I tried to change my Windows file directory name but forgot to backup in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; I was stupid and forgot to do research and backup before doing something I didn't know was extremely dangerous. I attempted to change my Windows local... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by sapphyN, Jun 2, 2023.

1. sapphyN Win User

I tried to change my Windows file directory name but forgot to backup

I was stupid and forgot to do research and backup before doing something I didn't know was extremely dangerous. I attempted to change my Windows local file directory name through netplwiz, regedit, then renaming the actual User name file but severely messed up and don't know how to fix it. A lot of my files are okay but some of my important data has just vanished because my laptop thinks it's in the old directory. Is there a way i can still revert back to 4 hours ago or get my data back?

:)

sapphyN, Jun 2, 2023
Thema:

I tried to change my Windows file directory name but forgot to backup

1. I tried to change my Windows file directory name but forgot to backup - Similar Threads - tried change file

2. I tried to change my Windows file directory name but forgot to backup

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I tried to change my Windows file directory name but forgot to backup: I was stupid and forgot to do research and backup before doing something I didn't know was extremely dangerous. I attempted to change my Windows local file directory name through netplwiz, regedit, then renaming the actual User name file but severely messed up and don't know...
  3. How to change name in file directory

in Windows 10 Customization
    How to change name in file directory: Hello, I've changed my name in my Microsoft account and computer settings, but some places such as my file paths still display my old name C:\Users\[oldname]; is there any way to change this or is this particular area not possible to change unless I reset the computer? I'm on...
  4. Onedrive backup changes directory location

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Onedrive backup changes directory location: To ensure enough disk storage space I moved the location of Documents, Desktop, Pictures etc. ie all data directories to a larger drive D:. To my dismay when I executed a One Drive backup this caused the Documents, Desktop and Pictures directories to be moved back to C: drive...
  5. Can I Change the Name of the "File History" Backup File?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can I Change the Name of the "File History" Backup File?: I am using Dropbox to backup my PC's external drive. It works fine for documents, but Dropbox won't sync with the "File History" folder that is maintained by Windows 10 on that drive by the File History backup utility. Per Dropbox's Help topics, "Folders named ToolKit and...
  6. Can I Change the Name of the "File History" Backup File?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Can I Change the Name of the "File History" Backup File?: I am using Dropbox to backup my PC's external drive. It works fine for documents, but Dropbox won't sync with the "File History" folder that is maintained by Windows 10 on that drive by the File History backup utility. Per Dropbox's Help topics, "Folders named ToolKit and...
  7. Can I Change the Name of the "File History" Backup File?

in Windows 10 Gaming
  8. Changing name of home directory.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Changing name of home directory.: If my name is George Smith but I made a typo when installing Windows such that my home directory is named georg no "e" is there a reasonably convenient way to rename my home directory to "george?" My Microsoft ID is OK at george ... mydomain.com" and I don't want or need to...
  9. Changing name of home directory.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Changing name of home directory.: If my name is George Smith but I made a typo when installing Windows such that my home directory is named georg no "e" is there a reasonably convenient way to rename my home directory to "george?" My Microsoft ID is OK at george ... mydomain.com" and I don't want or need to...
  10. Admin Directory Name Change

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Admin Directory Name Change: I'm using Windows 10 Home edition. I have two folders in the Windows/Users directory: "Public" and "WARNE". I want to change the name of the "WARNE" folder... I'm having no luck finding out how to do this... Please help... Thanks!...