Windows 10: I tried to rename my users folder in c drive using regedit and accidentally created a new...

Discus and support I tried to rename my users folder in c drive using regedit and accidentally created a new... in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; in an attempt to change my previous user folder "janmarsha" to "jeh" i ran regedit and navigated through HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SOFTWARE/Microsoft/Windows... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by JECagurangan, Jul 22, 2019.

1. I tried to rename my users folder in c drive using regedit and accidentally created a new...

in an attempt to change my previous user folder "janmarsha" to "jeh" i ran regedit and navigated through HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SOFTWARE/Microsoft/Windows NT/CurrentVersion/ProfileList. i double clicked the profile imaged path then changed it from C:\Users\janmarsha to C:\Users\jeh and ended at that.

i thought it was that easy then i went to the users folder again then saw that instead of renaming it i just created another user folder "jeh" then i just gave up and deleted the "jeh" user folder. but it came back and i'm experiencing different problems like my search bar not working and my google password suddenly resetting. please help.

:)

JECagurangan, Jul 22, 2019

2. Delete or rename main user in c drive

I'm trans and I've changed my first name, as such I'm trying to remove any reference to my previous name still out there. When I got a new laptop and signed into my Microsoft account it automatically generated a user folder in c drive with my previous name
    on it because they still had my old email. I now want to change the name of that folder in c drive to be my new name, problem is, when I go to properties the name is Greyed out.

So I think, why not just create another user profile after I've changed the associated email? So I did and now I have two folders under user in c drive (along with public and default) one called aidan and one called alori.

Interestingly enough I *can* edit the one called Alori, I can change its name to whatever I want, just can't rename the one called aidan. Worse yet, when I try to delete the folder called aidan under C/users it says Lori is still using that, please close
    the program and try again (Lori is the account I'm logged into, but not the c drive user, I know, complicated)

I tried deleting the user profile that created the folder in the first place, but no such luck, the folder called aidan is still there, and still unable to be renamed/deleted

AloriWhite, Jul 22, 2019
  3. Renaming the users folders

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

You are trying to rename the User folder, which can’t be done through the File explorer. Whatever user name you use of your User account, user account folder will have same name. You can rename the Subfolder of the User account folder but not User
    account folder.

If you want rename the User account folder, change user account name using the suggestion

Lets’ refer to these steps to rename the User account and check if that helps.

• Press Windows and X keys together.
    • Click on Control Panel, click on User Accounts.
    • Click on User account, then click on “Change your account name
    • If it’s prompting for password please enter and click on Yes. If you do not have password click on
      Yes.
    • Enter the new user name.
    • Click on change name.

Reference link for more information.

Windows 8 User Folder Rename.

Windows 8 User Folder Rename

Please do let us know if you need further help.

Mohammed Yaseer, Jul 22, 2019
  4. I tried to rename my users folder in c drive using regedit and accidentally created a new...

Renaming the users folders

Hello!

Is it possible ton rename the user folder without generating a mess in the system? Here is an example to explain my question:

Let's say the user's name is Sebastian. When Windows is creating an new account on a computer, the system creates a folder called 'sebast' in C:\Users. (C:\Users\sebast)

If Sebastian wants to rename this folder in C:\Users\Sebastian (for aesthetic reason), is it possible? How?

Thank's in advance for any help I tried to rename my users folder in c drive using regedit and accidentally created a new... :)

Gwenddoleu, Jul 22, 2019
Thema:

I tried to rename my users folder in c drive using regedit and accidentally created a new...

1. I tried to rename my users folder in c drive using regedit and accidentally created a new... - Similar Threads - tried rename users

2. i rename user folder by using regedit and lost all my data so i try several time to rename...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    i rename user folder by using regedit and lost all my data so i try several time to rename...: i rename user folder by using regedit and lost all my data so i try several time to rename old one but all data lost how to recovery and solve errors while startup...
  3. i rename user folder by using regedit and lost all my data so i try several time to rename...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    i rename user folder by using regedit and lost all my data so i try several time to rename...: i rename user folder by using regedit and lost all my data so i try several time to rename old one but all data lost how to recovery and solve errors while startup...
  4. Unable to rename user folder in C:/

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to rename user folder in C:/: Hi, my computer was recently reformatted and afterwhich, when I click in the path C:\Users, my folder name "Rach" is no longer there and instead, it is named "user" instead, which is different from my computer login profile. How do I get it to sync and rename the folder as...
  5. Unable to rename user folder in C:/

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Unable to rename user folder in C:/: Hi, my computer was recently reformatted and afterwhich, when I click in the path C:\Users, my folder name "Rach" is no longer there and instead, it is named "user" instead, which is different from my computer login profile. How do I get it to sync and rename the folder as...
  6. Accidentally renamed User folder to Downloads after trying to move User folders to another...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Accidentally renamed User folder to Downloads after trying to move User folders to another...: I tried to move my User folders to another drive but when the first folder showed up as not being in a folder the same as what would be in C:\Users\Pete\ I ried to move the files back. I tried following...
  7. Renaming the user folder under c:\users

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Renaming the user folder under c:\users: Hi all. As a user who's part of a domain, my user folder under C:\Users is very long and this is disturbing when I use Bash (WSL). the folder is first.last.domainName and that's too long. Ideally, I just want my user folder to be my first.last name without the domain name...
  8. When I try to create a new folder or rename an existing folder on OneDrive, most of the...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    When I try to create a new folder or rename an existing folder on OneDrive, most of the...: I am using Windows File Explorer, Windows 10 Pro on a Dell Latitude E5570. The screen flashes as I am typing the folder name and I may only get a few characters typed before it exits edit mode and shows my folder with a partially typed name. I have to try to rename many times...
  9. I need to change or Rename the folder C:\Users\<name> to C:\Users\<Mywish> . I'm using...

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    I need to change or Rename the folder C:\Users\<name> to C:\Users\<Mywish> . I'm using...: Please Give me the details to rename the users name in C drive to my wish. Currently I only have one user and I have admin privileges. What steps I need to follow. ?...
  10. How to rename a user's folder in c:\users?

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    How to rename a user's folder in c:\users?: While my request in the thread Is it advisable/useful to have a second (full) Administrator account? was successfully handled, I now have this situation which I consider appropriate to mention in a new thread. Basically, I would like to rename the "new user" folder of the...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. how to rename user in drive c using regedit

2. accidentally created user folder