Windows 10: I try to do a backup using windows 10 back up; get the error "can't find a useable external...

Discus and support I try to do a backup using windows 10 back up; get the error "can't find a useable external... in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; When attempting to do a backup using Windows 10, I get the message "No useable drive detected". However, File explorer is clearly showing the drive,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Trevor Money, Nov 27, 2022.

1. I try to do a backup using windows 10 back up; get the error "can't find a useable external...

When attempting to do a backup using Windows 10, I get the message "No useable drive detected". However, File explorer is clearly showing the drive, and I have tried this with 3 different drives on three different USB ports. Why?* Moved from Community Center

:)

Trevor Money, Nov 27, 2022
  2. Bokenzhe Win User

Backup Issue - Microsoft 10 - Cannot perform initial backup

Question

• I try to do a backup using windows 10 back up; get the error "can't find a useable external... [​IMG]

Applies to

5 views Backup Issue - Microsoft 10 - Cannot perform initial backup

My backup stubbornly refuses to run. I can't run the initial backup, therefore the file history backups don't run either. This has been an ongoing problem for quite some time. Suggestions I've received have not worked so far. Following is the problem
    and the failed resolution attempts:

• I get this message from the Event Log:

Unable to scan user libraries for changes and perform backup of modified files for configuration C:\Users\Papa\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\FileHistory\Configuration\Config

Event ID - 201

Level: Error

User - System

*** ---- There is no config file at this directory location. The contents of the location are:

catalog1

catalog2

config1

config2

• In another thread from July, someone suggested checking a particular service (I forget the name just now) is running. It is.

• Two days ago a Microsoft employee suggested the following steps. These steps resulted in no change, still no backup:

KA

Karthicka_R replied on

Hi,

Thank you for contacting Microsoft community.

I suggest you to follow the below steps to start and stop the services “Windows backup” and “volume shadow copy” and check if it helps.

• Press “Windows+R” and in the run command box type “services. MSc”.
    • Search for the service “Windows Backup” double click on it and check whether the service is started or not, click on “OK” button. I suggest you to stop and start the service again.
    • Once done again search for the service “Volume shadow copy” double click on it and check whether the service is started or not. I suggest you to stop and start the service again, click on “OK” button and
      check whether you can perform backup successfully.
    Hope this information was helpful and do let us know if you need further assistance. We will be glad to assist.

• I performed these steps multiple times. The backup still crashes, with the same error message. In addition I collected the following error message, but only one time:

Unable to start a backup cycle for configuration C:\Users\Papa\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\FileHistory\Configuration\Config

Event ID: 200

• Can anyone help me with this stubborn problem?

Thank you in advance.

Bokenzhe, Nov 27, 2022
  3. Ahhzz Win User

I try to do a backup using windows 10 back up; get the error "can't find a useable external...

Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Nov 27, 2022
Thema:

I try to do a backup using windows 10 back up; get the error "can't find a useable external...

1. I try to do a backup using windows 10 back up; get the error "can't find a useable external... - Similar Threads - try backup using

2. How to get back a useable Windows Explorer?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to get back a useable Windows Explorer?: Micorosoft in its endless quest to make Windows users miserable has as usual destroyed numerous other basic useful practical features of Windows. We want MENUS in WINDOWS EXPLORER. HOW do we obtain a USEABLE Windows Explorer from this garbage "Windows 11"?...
  3. How to get back a useable Windows Explorer?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to get back a useable Windows Explorer?: Micorosoft in its endless quest to make Windows users miserable has as usual destroyed numerous other basic useful practical features of Windows. We want MENUS in WINDOWS EXPLORER. HOW do we obtain a USEABLE Windows Explorer from this garbage "Windows 11"?...
  4. When trying to back up Windows 11 image to external drive using "Windows 7" backup feature...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    When trying to back up Windows 11 image to external drive using "Windows 7" backup feature...: I have 953 GB available on the source drive and 7 TB on the external target drive. I have reformatted the target drive and set Volume Shadow Copy service to automatic. I have also tried with virus protection turned off....
  5. When trying to back up Windows 11 image to external drive using "Windows 7" backup feature...

When trying to back up Windows 11 image to external drive using "Windows 7" backup feature...: I have 953 GB available on the source drive and 7 TB on the external target drive. I have reformatted the target drive and set Volume Shadow Copy service to automatic. I have also tried with virus protection turned off....
  6. I try to do a backup using windows 10 back up; get the error "can't find a useable external...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I try to do a backup using windows 10 back up; get the error "can't find a useable external...: When attempting to do a backup using Windows 10, I get the message "No useable drive detected". However, File explorer is clearly showing the drive, and I have tried this with 3 different drives on three different USB ports. Why?* Moved from Community Center...
  7. I try to do a backup using windows 10 back up; get the error "can't find a useable external...

I try to do a backup using windows 10 back up; get the error "can't find a useable external...: When attempting to do a backup using Windows 10, I get the message "No useable drive detected". However, File explorer is clearly showing the drive, and I have tried this with 3 different drives on three different USB ports. Why?* Moved from Community Center...
  8. windows 10 "backup" not backing up

windows 10 "backup" not backing up: On this computer, windows 10, the backup page shows its backing up and also the time it finished.On my office computer, that has just had the operating system re -installed , today I tried to back it up to the flash drive and it would not back up. I had a geek squad tech out...
  9. windows 10 "backup" not backing up

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    windows 10 "backup" not backing up: On this computer, windows 10, the backup page shows its backing up and also the time it finished.On my office computer, that has just had the operating system re -installed , today I tried to back it up to the flash drive and it would not back up. I had a geek squad tech out...
  10. How do I get ALL backups to STOP backing up?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How do I get ALL backups to STOP backing up?: There seems to be a backup running at the most inopportune time. I don't know if it is a 'system' backup or some other unknown backup running. How to stop them or at least identify who the culprit is/are?...