Windows 10: i type on computer but nothing happens keyboard is fine

Discus and support i type on computer but nothing happens keyboard is fine in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; i can type on the search window in the start section. but then i can not type anywhere else, like my calendar, email, and other programs. my keyboard... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by juliep19363, Mar 8, 2020.

1. i type on computer but nothing happens keyboard is fine

i can type on the search window in the start section. but then i can not type anywhere else, like my calendar, email, and other programs. my keyboard works fine, like now, but if i were to go and try to type on the above programs, etc nothing happens.

:)

juliep19363, Mar 8, 2020

2. keyboard does not work in search, can't type in windows search box.

If you already used your keyboard on different devices and the same issue happened, then basically, the main issue here is the keyboard itself. There's a possibility that the keyboard is defective or it has a bad driver.

We suggest that you try these steps and see if it helps:

Step 1: File Signature Verification Tool.

• Press Windows key + R to open the run command.l
    • Type sigverif.exe and press enter.
    • Check if you see a list of unsigned drivers.

Step 2: Scan for hardware changes.

• Press Windows key + R to open the run command.
    • Type devmgmt.msc and press enter.
    • Expand computer and highlight the extension.
    • There will be an icon to scan for hardware changes right below
      help.

Step 3: Hardware and Devices Troubleshooter.

• Press the Windows + X, and click on Search.
    • Type troubleshooting and select Troubleshooting.
    • Click on Hardware and Sound and select Hardware and Devices.
    • Click on Next to run the troubleshooter.

Step 4: Update keyboard driver.

• Click the Start button and enter Windows Update.
    • In the left pane, click on Check for Updates.
    • On the Select the updates you want to install page, select the drivers you want to install.

Once done, check if the same issue persists and try using different keyboard on the same PC you used. If everything works fine using a different keyboard, it means that the first keyboard is defective.

If you need further help, please send us more information so we can assist you better.

Acelyn Alc, Mar 8, 2020
  3. Geethu B Win User
    Issue with typing using keyboard

Hi,

Thank you for contacting Microsoft Community. I understand that you have an issue with typing using keyboard.
    I will surely help you to fix this issue.

To understand the issue better, I would need more information from your end.

• What is the make and model of the computer?
    • Which web browser are you using?
    • Are you facing this issue on all the web browsers?

This issue could have occurred due to these reasons:

1. Damaged hardware.

2. Missing Windows Updates.

3. Corrupt keyboard driver.

Try the steps listed here:

Method 1:

I would suggest you to connect an external keyboard and check if the issue persists or not.

Method 2:

If the issue persists, I suggest you to download and install all available Windows Updates and devices drivers from the computer manufacturer website.

Method 3:

If the issue persists, I suggest you to download and install latest keyboard driver from the manufacturer website and check if it helps.

Hope this information helps. Reply to the post with an updated status of the issue so that we can assist you further.

Geethu B, Mar 8, 2020
  4. i type on computer but nothing happens keyboard is fine

How do I change the default keyboard from handwriting to typing on Windows 10

Hi Paul,

We appreciate you for being part of Windows 10.

Before proceeding, we need to know more information to help you better.

• What is the make and model of your computer?
    • Have you enabled the tablet mode settings on Windows 10?

Kindly follow the below steps and check if it helps.

Step 1: Turn off on screen keyboard

• Open Start menu, type Settings in search bar and click on Settings.
    • Click on Ease of access and select keyboard.
    • Turn off the on screen keyboard.

Step 2: Turn off tablet mode

I suggest you to turn off tablet mode, as it may also be the cause for the issue.

• Open Start menu, type tablet mode settings in search bar and click on it.
    • Turn off the tablet mode option and check if it helps.

Reference: I suggest you to refer the below link and check if it helps.

Change your language or keyboard

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/add-language-keyboard

The steps applies for Windows 10 also.

I hope the above information helps. Kindly let us know if you need any further assistance with Windows. We are glad to assist you.

Thank you.

Kiran Kishore, Mar 8, 2020
Thema:

i type on computer but nothing happens keyboard is fine

1. i type on computer but nothing happens keyboard is fine - Similar Threads - type computer nothing

2. Computer screen freezes nothing happens mouse keyboard unresponsive while playing games

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Computer screen freezes nothing happens mouse keyboard unresponsive while playing games: Problem descriptionAs title says, this issue happens to me while playing games. It seems to happen more often on every games. The screen freezes and the system is unresponsive. Mouse and keyboard are stuck too, I have to turn off system from CPU. I cannot replicate the...
  3. Computer screen freezes nothing happens mouse keyboard unresponsive while playing games

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Computer screen freezes nothing happens mouse keyboard unresponsive while playing games: Problem descriptionAs title says, this issue happens to me while playing games. It seems to happen more often on every games. The screen freezes and the system is unresponsive. Mouse and keyboard are stuck too, I have to turn off system from CPU. I cannot replicate the...
  4. Computer screen freezes nothing happens mouse keyboard unresponsive while playing games

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. I click an app and nothing happens

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I click an app and nothing happens: Hello, I have updated my windows yesterday and ever since then I have been having some issues opening certain apps, when I click “app”, nothing happens at all, not even an error message. I have read that the reason could be file corruptions after the update so I tried...
  6. Keyboard types nothing when pressing the ' / @ key

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Keyboard types nothing when pressing the ' / @ key: I have searched everywhere on the internet for fixes like changing the language settings keyboard settings, driver updates and resets and Im still stuck without a button for these characters. Even stranger is that if I convert to US qwerty, my keyboard will use SHIFT+2 as...
  7. Whenever I type a subject into the search box, nothing happens?

Whenever I type a subject into the search box, nothing happens?: I've tried to search for information, but whenever I type the subject into the search area nothing happens. So, what's wrong with my PC, & how do I fix it?...
  8. Can't type in Windows 10 password. Nothing happens when I type in password. it doesn't...

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Can't type in Windows 10 password. Nothing happens when I type in password. it doesn't...: After re-boot: Can't type in Windows 10 password. Nothing happens when I type in password. it doesn't recognize the key strokes. My solution to this problem, was to find out that a key on my keyboard was being inadvertently depressed by a small object. In my case, it...
  9. computer and mouse work fine but i cannot enter type

computer and mouse work fine but i cannot enter type: cannot enter type https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/computer-and-mouse-work-fine-but-i-cannot-enter/b6d3bcb3-4368-442f-86c4-6460b898101b
  10. I click upgrade, but nothing happens?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    I click upgrade, but nothing happens?: I am running 8.1 pro 64 bit. I click the icon at the bottom, it says "this pc is compatible" and I click upgrade. I click continue and it checks for updates. None are found. No updates are hidden. I have read and seem to have all necessary updated already installed. Why would...