Windows 10: I uninstalled the Display Drivers on my Surface Pro 7 trying to fix a brightness problem

Discus and support I uninstalled the Display Drivers on my Surface Pro 7 trying to fix a brightness problem in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Last night I noticed I was having a problem with the brightness on my computer and I wasn't able to change it. Someone left a well-received answer to a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by GuyThing1, Jan 11, 2021.

1. GuyThing1 Win User

I uninstalled the Display Drivers on my Surface Pro 7 trying to fix a brightness problem

Last night I noticed I was having a problem with the brightness on my computer and I wasn't able to change it. Someone left a well-received answer to a person with the same question I had, so I gave their solution a try. They said to uninstall the display driver then reboot the computer, so I did and it left me with the Microsoft basic driver when I came back and everything on the screen was oversized. I tried to update the driver back to what it was before I deleted it and it almost worked, but it said there was an issue, so I tried again. It failed the second time as well and then everything on the screen became small. I turned my computer off and on again, but when I checked my display drivers, there was nothing there. Not even the Microsoft basic driver. So I can't even update it to the latest anymore. Apparently just updating windows 10 was supposed to help with my first problem, so I did that, but now I have no display drivers, my brightness won't change, and the camera doesn't turn on.

Please, someone, tell me what's happening and how I can fix it. This never should've become a big issue, it was just the brightness at first and now I don't know what's happening.

:)

GuyThing1, Jan 11, 2021

2. Issues with the display of the Surface Pro 4 in Windows 10

Hi,

I realize the inconvenience caused to you regarding the display of the surface pro. I will certainly assist you.

Please answer the below question to assist you better.

Did you make any changes in the Display settings prior to this issue?

I suggest you to uninstall and reinstall the display drivers on the system from the manufacturing website and check if it helps to resolve the issue.

Steps to uninstall the Display Drivers.

• Press “Windows Logo” + “X” keys on the keyboard.
    • Click on “Device Manager” from that list.
    • Search for the Display driver from the device list, right click on it and then select “Uninstall”. On the un-installation window, if you have an option: “Delete the driver software for this device” you may select that
      and then remove the corrupted drivers from the computer.
    • Follow the on-screen instructions to complete it and then restart the computer and install the latest driver from the manufacturer website.
    I also suggest you to refer the link on How do I fix desktop app display issues? For Surface and check if it helps.

https://www.microsoft.com/surface/e...indows-store/app-display-issues?os=windows-10

Hope this helps regarding the display of the surface. Please do let us know if you need further assistance, we’ll be glad to assist you.

Anup Karkal, Jan 11, 2021
  3. Problems with the display and brightness

Hello,

Thank you for keeping us updated.

Let’s try with some steps which helps you resolving the issue.

Step 1: I suggest you to update the Display drivers and check
    if it helps you.

Refer: Uninstall, Reinstall or
    update the graphics card drivers

If that doesn't help uninstall and reinstall latest graphic driver from manufacturer's website.

Note: Update all the drivers and also install all the pending updates and check.

Step 2: After installing and Updating refer the below steps to check how to automatically adjust the brightness.

• Press Windows + I keys and select System.
    • Select Display and check the Adjust brightness automatically
    • Restart the machine.
    Keep us informed if the issue is resolved. We are glad to help you further.

Sachin Venkatesh, Jan 11, 2021
  4. Roohi_Taj Win User

I uninstalled the Display Drivers on my Surface Pro 7 trying to fix a brightness problem

Surface Pro 3

Hi ChrisWaters3,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

Could you please help me with the below information:

1. Does the battery drain out, if the tablet is not connected to peripherals?

2. Which version of Windows you are using? (To check, type: winver in start menu and hit enter.)

I understand how something like this can try your patience. This issue is an indication of faulty drivers or incompatible driver.
    However, I suggest you to follow the troubleshooting steps mentioned below:

Method 1: Check the drivers.

Step1: Battery driver

1. Press Windows andR
      key together on your Keyboard.
    2. Type devmgmt.msc and hit enter.
    3. Click on view on top > Select Show hidden devices.
    4. Expand the Batteries option from the list.
    5. Select the ACPI Compliant Control Method Battery> right click on the driver and click on
      Properties.
    6. Click on Driver tab > check if you have the option to
      Roll Back Driver.
    7. If yes, Roll back the driver or uninstall it and restart the computer.
    Uninstalling the driver will be automatically installed after the system is restarted. Check if the issue is fixed.

Step 2: Keyboard driver.

1. In the Device manager, go to ‘Other devices’, you will find
      Unknown devices.
    2. Double tap on the unknown device > click on
      Driver tab> click on update driver.
    3. Select browse my computer for driver software> Click on Let me pick from a list of device drivers
    4. Select keyboard, then click ‘Next.
    5. Select HID Keyboard device and click finish.

Method 2: Run the toolkit.

Note: If your Surface is managed by your work or school, check with your organization's IT department before running the tool.

I would suggest you to run the toolkit provided by Microsoft on
    Fix common Surface
    problems using the Surface Diagnostic Toolkit

If the above steps, doesn’t fix the issue. I would suggest you to follow the steps mentioned in the article on
    Surface Pro 3 Battery
    FAQ for the Surface Pro Embedded Controller Firmware update

Hope it helps.

Roohi Taj S

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Roohi_Taj, Jan 11, 2021
Thema:

1. I uninstalled the Display Drivers on my Surface Pro 7 trying to fix a brightness problem - Similar Threads - uninstalled Display Drivers

2. display problem on microsoft surface 7 pro

in Windows 10 Gaming
    display problem on microsoft surface 7 pro: every time i switch on the laptop it has a few pixels from the previous time i used the laptop still stuck on itlater it goes back to being normal but it is still dimmer than the rest of the screenpls helpits also sometimes discoloured...
  3. display problem on microsoft surface 7 pro

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    display problem on microsoft surface 7 pro: every time i switch on the laptop it has a few pixels from the previous time i used the laptop still stuck on itlater it goes back to being normal but it is still dimmer than the rest of the screenpls helpits also sometimes discoloured...
  4. vga drivers for my surface pro 7?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    vga drivers for my surface pro 7?: can i download vga drivers for my surface pro 7? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/vga-drivers-for-my-surface-pro-7/1b4b39dc-3696-49cb-8670-28fbd8d770b2
  5. vga drivers for my surface pro 7?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    vga drivers for my surface pro 7?: can i download vga drivers for my surface pro 7? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/vga-drivers-for-my-surface-pro-7/1b4b39dc-3696-49cb-8670-28fbd8d770b2
  6. vga drivers for my surface pro 7?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. surface pro 7 stuck at highest brightness

surface pro 7 stuck at highest brightness: Hello:It seems like my surface pro 7 LCD would stuck at highest brightness after sleep. The issue is the LCD is at the highest brightness but the software control is not, it is at the lowest. When I slide the software control brightness to turn up, the screen will brighten...
  8. hi i have problem with my surface pro 7

in Windows 10 Customization
    hi i have problem with my surface pro 7: hi i have problem with my surface pro 7[ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/hi-i-have-problem-with-my-surface-pro-7/f6c5f04c-7a2b-40ea-b32a-ea79eb6c3eee
  9. Surface Pro 7 - MS Display Adapter

Surface Pro 7 - MS Display Adapter: Dear Community! TL;DR: Does the Surface Pro 7 support the MS Display Adapter? If so, anything specific I've got to take care of? On all the MS Display support pages I've found thus far, it does not mention the SP7, but I assume it to just be due to a lack of updating old...
  10. Screen brightness issues on surface pro 7

in Windows 10 Customization
    Screen brightness issues on surface pro 7: Hello, I purchased a surface pro 7 in December and I love it so far. Just recently I have been experiencing issues with the brightness. When I open my action center and decrease my brightness on the slider whatever I change the brightness level to the second I put any input...