Windows 10: I Updated Windows 10 Today and For Some Reason I Have A Windows.Old File

Discus and support I Updated Windows 10 Today and For Some Reason I Have A Windows.Old File in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I just updated today windows 10, and I have a windows.old folder. Is this supposed to happen. Version is version 2004... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by MP GM, Aug 1, 2020.

1. MP GM Win User

I Updated Windows 10 Today and For Some Reason I Have A Windows.Old File

I just updated today windows 10, and I have a windows.old folder. Is this supposed to happen.

Version is version 2004

:)

MP GM, Aug 1, 2020

2. Removing Windows.old folder

I recently had to reinstall my OS (don't ask). Once I did there were files that I couldn't delete. Basically SecuROM files. Anyway long story short I found this workaround that I wanted to share with my fellow newbs. This will work for any file and works like a charm. Just follow the directions. *Toast :toast:
    Note: there is no space between "Administrators: (F)" I just had to but one in because it kept giving me an "unhappy face"

When installing Windows Vista, Windows stores any existing installation of Windows on the install partition inside a hidden folder called windows.old. This folder could take up a large amount of disk space.

Note: Please check the contents of the windows.old folder before deleting it to make sure there are no files stored there that you may wish to keep.

Deleting the window.old folder using the disk cleanup wizard
    Click start
    Type: disk cleanup
    Press enter
    Select "Files from all users on this computer"
    Follow the rest of the instructions listed on the wizard and select the option to delete the windows.old folder
    Deleting the windows.old folder manually
    1) Open an elevated command prompt

Click start
    Type: cmd
    right-click it under programs
    click Run As Administrator
    2) Take ownership

Change the directory to the windows.old folder (e.g. cd c:\windows.old)
    Type: takeown /F . /A /R /D Y > NUL
    3) grant yourself permission

Type: icacls . /grant:r Administrators: (F) /T /L /Q
    4) Delete everything

Make sure you close any explorer or command windows that are looking at or inside the windows.old folder (except for the command window you are using). If you don't, you will receive an error while performing this step.

Type: cd ..
    Type: rmdir /S /Q windows.old

TheMailMan78, Aug 1, 2020
  3. P4-630 Win User
    How to delete windows.old folder (laptop with TPM) [Solved]

Ok, got the windows.old folder removed today, this after a large update about a week ago, it seemed to replaced the 600mb windows.old folder with new files since the windows.old folder was about 19GB now...
    But was able to remove it completely now with the windows disk cleanup. *Smile I Updated Windows 10 Today and For Some Reason I Have A Windows.Old File :)

P4-630, Aug 1, 2020
  4. I Updated Windows 10 Today and For Some Reason I Have A Windows.Old File

Should I update bios?

I would read the warranty before doing anything. If the manufacturer finds out you did something not on their approved list of steps,for example using a program they didn't list, or a bios, etc, they can treat your video card rma like you threw it against the wall , because if something goes wrong and you didn't follow their steps exactly ,it was damaged through human error and they're not likely going to be obligated to cover it warranty wise. I don't know for sure, I just advocate that you check first , and I also advocate that you verify that it's an actual update ,because very rarely do manufacturers release updates for gpu bios'. And they most certainly wont cover a GPU "update" if its a bios file written by some dude in the Ukraine, it has to be a set process, they have predetermined often.

jboydgolfer, Aug 1, 2020
Thema:

I Updated Windows 10 Today and For Some Reason I Have A Windows.Old File

1. I Updated Windows 10 Today and For Some Reason I Have A Windows.Old File - Similar Threads - Updated Today Reason

2. I have had it with Windows today

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I have had it with Windows today: I cannot download photos from ANY website - I receive this message for example: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-have-had-it-with-windows-today/8b62c7bd-004c-4dea-9100-1c5c45d85789
  3. I have Windows 8 purchased which got upgraded to Windows 10. Now for some reason I have...

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    I have Windows 8 purchased which got upgraded to Windows 10. Now for some reason I have...: I have Windows 8 purchased which got upgraded to Windows 10. Now for some reason I have reinstalled Windows 10. But the system is not picking up the Windows 8 key and is saying invalid....
  4. I have Windows 8 purchased which got upgraded to Windows 10. Now for some reason I have...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I have Windows 8 purchased which got upgraded to Windows 10. Now for some reason I have...: I have Windows 8 purchased which got upgraded to Windows 10. Now for some reason I have reinstalled Windows 10. But the system is not picking up the Windows 8 key and is saying invalid....
  5. I have Windows 8 purchased which got upgraded to Windows 10. Now for some reason I have...

6. so I was trying to add a new file for pictures today but for some stupid reason there is no...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    so I was trying to add a new file for pictures today but for some stupid reason there is no...: I am scared https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/so-i-was-trying-to-add-a-new-file-for-pictures/f7d244eb-600f-4300-8c36-79f84c474782
  7. so I was trying to add a new file for pictures today but for some stupid reason there is no...

so I was trying to add a new file for pictures today but for some stupid reason there is no...: I am scared https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/so-i-was-trying-to-add-a-new-file-for-pictures/f7d244eb-600f-4300-8c36-79f84c474782
  8. I can't reinstall windows 10 for some reason..

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I can't reinstall windows 10 for some reason..: So basically i had a virus which were installed through a setup in my acer laptop i was forced to make a clean reset so everything will be cleaned, but i was wrong. Throughout the process of resetting it took me about 7 hours until it cleaned the pc and started to install the...
  9. I can't reinstall windows 10 for some reason..

I can't reinstall windows 10 for some reason..: So basically i had a virus which were installed through a setup in my acer laptop i was forced to make a clean reset so everything will be cleaned, but i was wrong. Throughout the process of resetting it took me about 7 hours until it cleaned the pc and started to install the...
  10. I cannot open Windows 10 for some reason?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    I cannot open Windows 10 for some reason?: I tried opening Windows Store today and for some reason I couldn't open it. It said cannot open ms store or something like that. And when I tried do the command on Powershell: Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register...