Windows 10: I upgraded all of my hardware excluding the hard drive and now I have to reactivate windows.

Discus and support I upgraded all of my hardware excluding the hard drive and now I have to reactivate windows. in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; I upgraded all of my hardware excluding the hard drive and now I have to reactivate windows. It worked in my last computer I don;'t know why it doesn't... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by DigestiveStorm4, Jan 24, 2019.

1. I upgraded all of my hardware excluding the hard drive and now I have to reactivate windows.

I upgraded all of my hardware excluding the hard drive and now I have to reactivate windows. It worked in my last computer I don;'t know why it doesn't now.

:)

DigestiveStorm4, Jan 24, 2019

2. Unable to access the external hard drive after upgrading to Windows 10

Hi Alan,

As you are facing issues with accessing the external hard drive after upgrading to Windows 10, do not worry we will help you with this issue.

Do provide us additional information to assist you better with this issue:

• What is the make and model of your devices?
    • What exactly happens when you try to access the drive?
    • What is the complete error message/ error code of this issue?
    • Were you able to detect the device under Device Manager/ File Explorer?

Step 1: As a workaround, I suggest you to do the following to detect the issue:

• Connect the hard drive to different port and check if the issue persists.
    • Connect different hard drive to the same port and check.
    • Connect different hard drives to different ports and check.

Step 2: If the device is not detected on your computer try to run
    Hardware and Devices troubleshooter as it checks for common problems and makes sure that any new device or hardware connected to your PC is installed correctly.

• Press Windows key from the keyboard, type
      Troubleshooting and select it.
    • Click on view all option on the upper left corner of
      Troubleshooting window.
    • Select the Hardware and Device
      options from the list.
    • Click Next to run the Hardware and Device
      Troubleshooter

Step 3: I suggest you to check if there are any drivers with yellow exclamatory mark in the Device Manager.

• Press Windows + X from the keyboard, click on
      Device Manager
    • Right click on the detected driver, click on Properties
      and check the device status.

Hope it helps. Try the above and update us the status of this issue with the required information, we will be happy to help you further.

Thank you.

Deepika Gowda, Jan 24, 2019
  3. little cat, Jan 24, 2019
  4. aakkam22 Win User

I upgraded all of my hardware excluding the hard drive and now I have to reactivate windows.

Reactivating Windows 10 after a hardware change - Including hard drive?

Yes.

Activation in Windows 10 uses a hashing system that takes a snapshot of all the hardware in the PC, not just a part or two. That hash is then stored on Microsoft's activation servers.

When you reinstall Windows 10 on your computer, it automatically reactivates even after a hardware change because the hash is a snapshot of all the hardware.

In addition to the hash system, as of the Anniversary Update, you can also link your device's activation with your Microsoft account. Then, when you reinstall Windows 10, all you have to do is log in with your Microsoft account, and your device is activated.

While the hashing method works for small hardware changes (like upgrading your hard drive) linking your activation status to your Microsoft account ensures you'll stay activated if you make a more significant change, like upgrading your motherboard.

See Reactivating Windows 10 after a hardware change for more information.

aakkam22, Jan 24, 2019
Thema:

I upgraded all of my hardware excluding the hard drive and now I have to reactivate windows.

1. I upgraded all of my hardware excluding the hard drive and now I have to reactivate windows. - Similar Threads - upgraded hardware excluding

2. Exclude Hard Drive From Windows Security

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Exclude Hard Drive From Windows Security: Hello,I have a backup hard drive installed in my PC. Windows Security keeps waking the drive up periodically so I added the drive to the exclusions list to prevent this. The exclusions list does not specifically state that a drive can be added only files, folders, file types...
  3. Exclude Hard Drive From Windows Security

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Exclude Hard Drive From Windows Security: Hello,I have a backup hard drive installed in my PC. Windows Security keeps waking the drive up periodically so I added the drive to the exclusions list to prevent this. The exclusions list does not specifically state that a drive can be added only files, folders, file types...
  4. Exclude Hard Drive From Windows Security

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Reactivation after hardware upgrade

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Reactivation after hardware upgrade: Hi guys, I just upgraded my PC CPU, motherboard, RAM, and SSD to be specific and having problems reactivating my Windows 10. I was using a Windows 10 home retail key brought on Amazon upgraded to pro and linked to my Microsoft account. Tried the troubleshooting and change...
  6. Windows reactivation after hardware upgrade

Windows reactivation after hardware upgrade: I've recently upgraded my home desktop replacing everything but my harddrive, gpu, and power supply. Before doing so I attempted to get my windows 10 pro key for reactivation but was told that it would saved to my windows account since I'm keeping the hardrives the same...
  7. Hardware upgrade, can't reactivate windows.

Hardware upgrade, can't reactivate windows.: Back in 2013-14, I built a new rig and purchased a copy of Windows 8.1. I received my free copy of Windows 10 back in 2018 for having a registered copy of 8.1, and yesterday I purchased some new hardware motherboard, processor, and RAM. After getting the hardware installed,...
  8. My hard drive crashed and now I have to replace it. What do I do with all my software?

My hard drive crashed and now I have to replace it. What do I do with all my software?: I literally just downloaded Micrsoft Office Home and Office 2 days ago. Today, my hard drive completely died in my Dell laptop, so I am going to have to replace the hard drive. The thing is, the hard drives don't come with Windows 10 on them. So, can I transfer my windows 10...
  9. Upgraded hardware, windows needs to be reactivated.

Upgraded hardware, windows needs to be reactivated.: I recently got a new motherboard, cpu, and ram installed in my pc and I now have a watermark at the bottom of my screen saying "Activate Windows - Go to Settings to activate Windows". I went to the activation settings, clicked troubleshoot and a tab opens up saying "We...
  10. Upgrading my hardware wanting to move hard drives

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Upgrading my hardware wanting to move hard drives: Hi guys, I am upgrading my computer i.e. CPU, GPU, MB, PSU and RAM and I want to take my two SSD's and HDD over into the new build. One of my SSD's contains windows 10 which was a free upgrade from windows 7 which I bought when I first built my computer. How would I go...