Windows 10: I upgraded my PC [ motherboard and CPU] my windows 10 product key didn't transfer over.

Discus and support I upgraded my PC [ motherboard and CPU] my windows 10 product key didn't transfer over. in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; I upgraded my PC [ motherboard and CPU] my windows 10 product key didn't transfer over. I try to do the troubleshoot but it didn't work. when I chick... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by DylanJMas, Dec 4, 2018.

1. DylanJMas Win User

I upgraded my PC [ motherboard and CPU] my windows 10 product key didn't transfer over.

I upgraded my PC [ motherboard and CPU] my windows 10 product key didn't transfer over. I try to do the troubleshoot but it didn't work. when I chick it, it said: "troubleshooting has completed we weren't able to activate windows on this device". then I press " I change hardware on this device recently" then it brings me to "reactivate windows 10" I press my account saying "this is the device I'm using right now" then it said unable to activate windows we can't reactivate windows on this device try again later. then I go back to Activation I see the last product key [Id] u entered cant be used on this copy of windows. I tried to put my produce key [ I had a programme that tells me my product key]. I don't what to do

:)

DylanJMas, Dec 4, 2018

2. Asking for Product Key for Windows 10 after upgrade from Win7 & Changing motherboard and CPU

Hi,

I upgraded to Windows 10 from Windows 7,

since then I have had to replace Motherboard CPU and RAM, and now its asking for the product key to activate Windows 10.

Do I just enter in my Windows 7 Product Key?

thanks

DanielSt69, Dec 4, 2018
  3. Haegely Win User
    Upgrading Motherboard and CPU

I bought a default Lenovo K450 a few years back that came with Windows 8 preinstalled. Well over the past few months I've upgraded the PSU, GPU, and moved too an SSD without much of a hassle since I was using the same motherboard and CPU. Well, I'm moving
    too a whole new upgrade and changing the case, motherboard, CPU, and adding a network card. My question is, once I've changed out all of the parts, will I need to reinstall Windows 8, or can I just install Windows 10 again like normal and follow the steps
    with customer support to establish the legitimacy of my previous Windows OS? I have the OEM and Product Key.

Haegely, Dec 4, 2018
  4. xlook Win User

I upgraded my PC [ motherboard and CPU] my windows 10 product key didn't transfer over.

Can I Transfer an OEM Product Key to New PC?

I built a new PC and want to install windows 8.1. For this I need to buy a product key. I was told that OEM product keys are "married" to the motherboard for life.

But lets say I install win 8.1 and use an OEM product key yo activate it. And lets say in the future I get rid of the old motherboard and install a new motherboard. Will I be able to transfer the product key to the new motherboard? Or would I need a retail product key to transfer the key to a new PC or motherboard?

xlook, Dec 4, 2018
Thema:

1. I upgraded my PC [ motherboard and CPU] my windows 10 product key didn't transfer over. - Similar Threads - upgraded motherboard CPU

2. Upgrading motherboard and CPU how do I go about transferring Windows11 to upgraded PC? My...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Upgrading motherboard and CPU how do I go about transferring Windows11 to upgraded PC? My...: Upgrades:Old B550M- New B550AMD 3600 - AMD 5600Using everything else as well as the SSD. I'm also planning on formatting my SSD. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/upgrading-motherboard-and-cpu-how-do-i-go-about/a0cf5dec-83be-4e11-b3a5-96cebd4ab70d
  3. Upgrading motherboard and CPU how do I go about transferring Windows11 to upgraded PC? My...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Upgrading motherboard and CPU how do I go about transferring Windows11 to upgraded PC? My...: Upgrades:Old B550M- New B550AMD 3600 - AMD 5600Using everything else as well as the SSD. I'm also planning on formatting my SSD. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/upgrading-motherboard-and-cpu-how-do-i-go-about/a0cf5dec-83be-4e11-b3a5-96cebd4ab70d
  4. how can I transfer my old product key in my new motherboard?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    how can I transfer my old product key in my new motherboard?: My name is Christian James Calambro Gmail: *** Email address is removed for privacy *** bought a new motherboard that has no OS but my old motherboard has a OS.I can transfer my old Product ID on my new motherboard Please help me....
  5. how can I transfer my old product key in my new motherboard?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    how can I transfer my old product key in my new motherboard?: My name is Christian James Calambro Gmail: *** Email address is removed for privacy *** bought a new motherboard that has no OS but my old motherboard has a OS.I can transfer my old Product ID on my new motherboard Please help me....
  6. how can I transfer my old product key in my new motherboard?

7. Is there a windows product key chip on my PC's motherboard

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Is there a windows product key chip on my PC's motherboard: Hello. I am using a windows 8 PC. I wish to reset it. Before starting the process, I searched for possible errors and problems that might occur. One of them was that windows might ask for a product key. I searched the web for the methods to obtain the product key since...
  8. Is there a windows product key chip on my PC's motherboard

Is there a windows product key chip on my PC's motherboard: Hello. I am using a windows 8 PC. I wish to reset it. Before starting the process, I searched for possible errors and problems that might occur. One of them was that windows might ask for a product key. I searched the web for the methods to obtain the product key since...
  9. Upgrading my CPU and Motherboard

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Upgrading my CPU and Motherboard: Hello, I am upgrading my CPU and motherboard. I use my computer for content creation and have a DAW digital audio workstation and Adobe creative cloud. Will I have to reinstall these programs and my plugins after the upgrade? This is my first upgrade that I am carrying out...
  10. New Motherboard, CPU, and RAM; Will my Windows registration transfer over or must I...

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    New Motherboard, CPU, and RAM; Will my Windows registration transfer over or must I...: Hey guys, I am replacing some of my hardware, specifically the CPU, RAM, and the motherboard. Is there a way for me to transfer my current Windows registration to my 'new' PC? Thank you in advance....