Windows 10: I upgraded to a SSD from my old HD via cloning, now my Windows is asking for activation

Discus and support I upgraded to a SSD from my old HD via cloning, now my Windows is asking for activation in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; This would really screw me up! can you help?... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by LeeBeck2, Apr 13, 2019.

1. LeeBeck2 Win User

I upgraded to a SSD from my old HD via cloning, now my Windows is asking for activation

This would really screw me up! can you help?

:)

LeeBeck2, Apr 13, 2019
  2. terrypd Win User

activating a cloned SSD

I cloned my windows 10 drive to a new SSD and now it asks for activation.

I purchased the computer with windows 10 already on it and dont have the number what now/

terrypd, Apr 13, 2019
  3. cadaveca Win User
    Moving to SSD. Clone or not to clone?

I kinda agree with you, but on a wholr, do not. While I have done things a bit differently than this specific situation, by installing Windows directly to the SSD, and cloning after, my testing shows that there are no issues doing this, very little that can go wrong, provided your system is stable.

There are certain features that must be disabled in this situation, like auto defrag and such, but even with a fresh install to the SSD, you need to take steps to ensure that you SSD performs properly, regardless of how the data got there.

Arming yourself with a bit of knowledge can go a long way.

Installing the latest chipset driver, and the RST Tools, will ensure optimal performance of the SSD. but rather than taking my advice, I suggest the OP takes a look here:

http://blogs.dirteam.com/blogs/sand...7-and-ssds-to-clone-windows-or-reinstall.aspx

Installing The SSD - Install A Solid State Drive In Your Notebook

Keep in mind, also, Digibucc, that many retail drives include software and such that very specifically is to be used to ttranser the OS from an existing mechanical drive to an SSD, and if there really was alot fo issues stemming from the cloning process, they would not have packages like that, simply to eliminate tech support costs. While not the optimal option, cloning is NOT a bad thing, as long as you take the nessecary steps.

cadaveca, Apr 13, 2019
  4. cadaveca Win User

I upgraded to a SSD from my old HD via cloning, now my Windows is asking for activation

Moving to SSD. Clone or not to clone?

Part of how I keep my SSD fast is to clone it to a platter drive, then clone back. You just want to make sure that you are only cloning teh used space, and not the empty space.

So, again, I isntall Windows to the ssd. Clone to platter drive, then clone back.

I am not sure why, but if I do not do the clone step, the drive's speed, and windows booting, decreases substantially within a week or so.

I am using a Corsair F60 SSD and a Western Digital 500AAKS as drives, and using the free version of Acronis that WD provides, if any of that matters. I am not sure, at this point.

cadaveca, Apr 13, 2019
Thema:

1. I upgraded to a SSD from my old HD via cloning, now my Windows is asking for activation - Similar Threads - upgraded SSD old

2. Upgraded to an NVME drive, cloned my old boot SSD to the new drive, now my Windows...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Upgraded to an NVME drive, cloned my old boot SSD to the new drive, now my Windows...: I did a full PC upgrade last night, mobo, CPU, RAM, GPU, PSU etc. One of the things I upgraded was my boot drive, from a regular SSD to an NVME drive. I used the Macrium Reflect software to clone the SSD with my legitimate, purchased copy of Windows 10 Home to the new drive,...
  3. Upgraded to an NVME drive, cloned my old boot SSD to the new drive, now my Windows...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Upgraded to an NVME drive, cloned my old boot SSD to the new drive, now my Windows...: I did a full PC upgrade last night, mobo, CPU, RAM, GPU, PSU etc. One of the things I upgraded was my boot drive, from a regular SSD to an NVME drive. I used the Macrium Reflect software to clone the SSD with my legitimate, purchased copy of Windows 10 Home to the new drive,...
  4. Upgraded to an NVME drive, cloned my old boot SSD to the new drive, now my Windows...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. *noob alert* moving clone of old SSD to new SSD via USB?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    *noob alert* moving clone of old SSD to new SSD via USB?: submitted by /u/Equivalent-Panic-262 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/lo8j8h/noob_alert_moving_clone_of_old_ssd_to_new_ssd_via/
  6. Cloned windows to new SSD and now it is asking for product code

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Cloned windows to new SSD and now it is asking for product code: Morning fellas Recently I built myself a computer and used a HDD from my laptop However since I cloned that HDD on to a SSD, this morning it is asking for a product key Is it impossible to solve without buying another copy of windows? Has it recognized that it is...
  7. i upgraded to SSD and now windows wont activate

i upgraded to SSD and now windows wont activate: Good day I have a Lenovo ThinkPad T540p, it came with Windows7, but was upgraded a long time ago to Windows 10, yesterday I upgraded to an SSD and now it will not reactivate my Windows, any advice is appreciated oh and additionally the call back feature wont accept my...
  8. Clone laptop hd to SSD not working

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Clone laptop hd to SSD not working: I cloned laptop to SSD and it says cloned successfully. I stick the SSD into the laptop and it doesn't work. Messages on screen say ' Initialising and establishing link' Then ' DHCP' with a flashing slash' 'Exiting intel boot agent cannot boot from any device' then to a...
  9. I upgraded from HD to SSD, and now my Windows 10 Home (x64) product key doesn't work

I upgraded from HD to SSD, and now my Windows 10 Home (x64) product key doesn't work: As the title says, I upgraded my hardware, and now my WIndows 10 home licence doesn't validate. I also upgraded my motherboard, but I don't think this is a valid point. During the installation process (downloaded from the installation media page and ran from an external...
  10. Factory reset laptop that has had an upgrade to SSD by cloning old HD

in Windows 10 Support
    Factory reset laptop that has had an upgrade to SSD by cloning old HD: Hi. I bought an SSD some time ago and with it came a cloning software which I used to clone my old HD to the SSD. That worked as it should and I could not have been happier with the performance boost. I regularly factory reset my computer and wanted to do that now for the...