Windows 10: I upgraded W8.1 to W10. Now update to Win10 Pro (by entering key)?

Discus and support I upgraded W8.1 to W10. Now update to Win10 Pro (by entering key)? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; HI few days ago i clean installed W8.1 on my laptop from msi (GT72-2QD, W8.1 was preinstalled) and then i immediately upgraded this installation to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by LASERoneXzero, Jan 9, 2021.

1. I upgraded W8.1 to W10. Now update to Win10 Pro (by entering key)?

HI

few days ago i clean installed W8.1 on my laptop from msi (GT72-2QD, W8.1 was preinstalled) and then
    i immediately upgraded this installation to W10 home for free. The upgrade installation was
    correctly activated and is running fine. Today i'd like to update to Win10 Pro by entering/changing
    the serial key. I've done this before on my second laptop from msi (msi GE60-2PE) but before
    upgrading to W10Pro i clean installed W10 home on this machine.

My question:

is it possible to perform a second upgrade on the same machine without any problems with e.g. activation,
    settings i made in W10 home..., etc, ?

Upgrade by entering key (see post #02): Upgrade W10 Home to PRO ?
    thx!

:)

LASERoneXzero, Jan 9, 2021
  2. Radi Win User

Skip upgrading W8 Pro to W10 and install W10 and use key from W8 Pro?

TL;DR

1. Get a bootable WIN 10
    2. Install WIN 10
    3. Enter they key you have from your WIN 7/8
    4. Go to setting and activate the newly installed WIN 10
    5. If your activation fails, enter your key again.
    6. That should fail again but will give you the option to call support
    7. Call support and they will help you finish your WIN 10 activation

The long story.

Something happened, and my Windows 8.1 Pro stopped working and I had to reinstall it. I have a Windows 8 Pro installation DVD that I got from Amazon a few years back. I used it and installed Windows 8 Pro on my PC. Ultimately I wanted to upgrade to Windows 10 Pro, but it was taking too long to update Windows 8 to 8.1, so I installed Windows 10 Media Creation and created a bootable Windows 10 USB. Using the bootable USB, I installed Windows 10 Pro on my PC, and that is where the pain started. I did some googling and found that with Starting with W10 build 1511, you can use the W7 or W8 key on a clean install, but I could not find how to actually activate the fresh Windows 10 installation. After several tries to activate I finally called support and they helped me out.

Note: A side effect of skipping the Windows 7/8 upgrade to Windows 10 is that support had to invalidate my Windows 8 product key and give a new key.

Radi, Jan 9, 2021
  3. Radi Win User
    Skip upgrading W8 Pro to W10 and install W10 and use key from W8 Pro?

I am sorry to have to ask this question, but I do not have the points to just comment on some of the similar questions:

Windows 10 Clean Install and Windows 8.1 Product Key [duplicate]

Can I install the free Windows 7/8 -> 10 upgrade on a new empty drive?

Also, those might be outdated because Moab commented that with W10 build 1511, things might have changed a bit

So, I have a Windows 8 Pro install DVD with a valid key and am trying to use that key on a new Windows 10 installation.

I used the Windows 10 Media Creation to create a bootable Windows 10 (I was not given an option for Windows 10 Pro) USB and I used that to install fresh Windows 10.

The windows installation let me use my Windows 8 Pro key when I was first prompted at the install, but after the install was done and I tried to activate the new Windows 10 installation I was told that the key is not working...

Can I skip upgrading Windows 8 Pro to Windows 10 and just install Windows 10 and use the key I have from my Windows 8 Pro?

EDIT:
    After an update now I am getting this message:

This product key is already being used on another PC. Error code: 0x803FA071

Radi, Jan 9, 2021
  4. GPB HMA Win User

I upgraded W8.1 to W10. Now update to Win10 Pro (by entering key)?

I haven't installed W8 Pro yet - how do I get W10 Pro

I have a computer running W7 Home, but bought the initial offer of an ISO upgrade to W8 Pro. I have not yet installed the W8 Pro upgrade. In order to get W10 Pro, must I install the W8 Pro first, or can I simply enter the product license key for W8 Pro
    that I got?

GPB HMA, Jan 9, 2021
Thema:

I upgraded W8.1 to W10. Now update to Win10 Pro (by entering key)?

1. I upgraded W8.1 to W10. Now update to Win10 Pro (by entering key)? - Similar Threads - upgraded W10 update

2. Invalid Key upgrade from Win10 to Win10 Pro

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Invalid Key upgrade from Win10 to Win10 Pro: I purchased a PC from Dell in December of 2020, and recently upgraded from WIndows 10 to Windows 10 Enterprise using the link provided by Microsoft that was processed through the store. There were no third party vendors, and I did not receive an updated key from Microsoft....
  3. Win10 pro upgrade key doesn't work

Win10 pro upgrade key doesn't work: I bought a new computer with win10 home installed. I have a Win10 pro key from a purchased full install. The key does not work to upgrade my home version. Can I use a key from a full install product? Can I install Win10 pro with this UBS dongle?...
  4. New Pc old Key W8 that I got free upgrade to W10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    New Pc old Key W8 that I got free upgrade to W10: Hi, this one is tricky. I had this same key since W7. Bought the update to W8. And in 2015/2016 I've got a free update to W10. I had to sell my computer 2 years ago. I have saved the key but it's wasn't upgraded since it had a updater software. If I'm not mistaken, when I...
  5. Win10 Home to W10 Pro Upgrade Error using Product Key

Win10 Home to W10 Pro Upgrade Error using Product Key: Hi all - I'm attempting to upgrade a Dell W10 Home, x64 Laptop to W10 Pro, x64. Using a couple of what I was told were legit keys, I receive this error after W10 accepts the key... [img] Activation software problem? Any help appreciated. Thanks, EN *Think 118849
  6. Reusing W10 Home product key after upgrading to W10 Pro

Reusing W10 Home product key after upgrading to W10 Pro: A long time ago I upgraded a computer from W10 Home to W10 Pro. This was a custom build and both the original W10 Home activation and the new W10 Pro activation were done via product keys ordered from Amazon. No Microsoft account has ever been involved with either key. Back...
  7. Upgrading a W8 to W10 VM in VMWARE

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    Upgrading a W8 to W10 VM in VMWARE: Hi there If you want to do an inplace upgrade of W8 to W10 in a VMware Virtual Machine UNINSTALL VMWARE TOOLS before you do the upgrade and then re-install them afterwards. Set the ISO image as your CD /DVD drive and simply run the setup from WITHIN the existing Virtual...
  8. Clean install w10 from w8

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Clean install w10 from w8: Hi guys, I'm stuck at a point where I cant go back nor proceed further, please assist me.. My scenario is i tried clean installation of w10 but as my partition is in GPT format it is not accepting, what I did as a mistake is I formatted the drive having w8, now my pc isnt...
  9. W10 screen snap like W8

in Windows 10 Support
    W10 screen snap like W8: Hi I've just upgraded my laptop to W10 from W8. What I used to do on W8 is say watch the FilmOn app on the right hand side of the screen and use the left hand side to do everything else - outlook, chrome, word, excel...any desktop software. I'd flick between them and the...
  10. You Can Upgrade to Win10 Pro for a £1 Now

in Windows 10 Support
    You Can Upgrade to Win10 Pro for a £1 Now: If you are running Windows 10 Home Edition and want to upgrade to Pro you can do it for about £1 English or 14:99 Swedish kroner. To do this click on Start then Settings. Now click on Update and Security then on Activation and you will see the option to upgrade. Click on...