Windows 10: I use my Windows profile with license key on 2 hard drives but how can I use only one?

Discus and support I use my Windows profile with license key on 2 hard drives but how can I use only one? in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; because I have the same profile and the same license key my PC needs both hard drives to boot how can I use the new one without using the other one... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by EPICFAILHOCH10, Jul 10, 2020.

1. I use my Windows profile with license key on 2 hard drives but how can I use only one?

because I have the same profile and the same license key my PC needs both hard drives to boot how can I use the new one without using the other one that I have my main account on the new hard drive and on the old one any account

Or is this only possible with 2 license keys

:)

EPICFAILHOCH10, Jul 10, 2020
  2. Andynor91 Win User

Determining if I can use my product key for new build

So I currently have a Windows 8 Pro key that I bought in 2012 at Microsoft's official store for €30 (promotion for eligible people who had xp, vista, or win 7 - I had win 7), which further down the line gave me the free upgrade option to windows 10.

It's only been used on the computer I am using now (so only 1), and when I do "slmgr -dli" in cmd, the prompt shows: "Windows(R) Professional Edition, Description: Windows(R) Professional Edition, RETAIL channel, Partial Product Key: XXXXX, License Status: Licensed".

Question is: can I deactivate the key on this computer, and reactivate it on my to-be new build? Also, do I need my new windows 10 product key (if there is one - can't seem to find it on my computer), or do I just use the Win 8 Pro key that I have when I reactivate windows 10 for the new build?

Found an insane amount of conflicting information regarding this questions when I googled it, so I got no clue what website or article to believe.

Any help is greatly appreciated! *Smile I use my Windows profile with license key on 2 hard drives but how can I use only one? :)

Andynor91, Jul 10, 2020
  3. Aaron_Sum Win User
    How can I access/change my Bitlocker password for my external hard drive?

Hi AveryDavis,

Thank you for posting to Microsoft Community.

Is this an external hard drive or an internal hard drive into which the Windows 10 is installed in?

I can understand how important the hard drive is for you. If the hard drive was encrypted with a BitLocker, it can only be opened with the BitLocker key. This is because the hard drive will be encrypted with respect to the BitLocker and cannot be accessed
    on a different system without the key.

If you have not set the BitLocker key, the' Secure Boot' settings may be toggled to 'Disabled', which may be causing this issue. You can check that from the steps below.

1. Power the device 'Off' and then back 'On'.
    2. You should be able to find a message on the boot screen just before the manufacturer logo appears. You may need to press the ‘F1’, ‘F2’, or ‘Delete’ button, this is usually indicated on the boot screen.
    3. Enter the BIOS settings, look for a tab called 'BOOT' and select that page.
    4. Depending on the BIOS manufacturer, this page could be 'BOOT', 'ADVANCED', 'STARTUP', etc.
    5. Look for a setting for the 'UEFI Secure Boot'. Each BIOS could have a different name for this. These are the keywords to look for: 'UEFI', 'Secure Boot', 'Legacy Boot'.
    6. Toggle the 'Secure Boot' setting to 'Enabled' and attempt to boot the machine.

However, if the BitLocker is set and the password is not known, you can refer this article on ‘Find
    my BitLocker recovery key
    ’. If you do not have the BitLocker password or the recovery key, the only option would be to proceed with formatting the hard drive to access it and if Windows was installed on this drive, a reinstallation of Windows.

Note: Formatting the hard drive will delete all its contents.

Hope it helps.

Aaron Summith

Microsoft Community – Moderator

Aaron_Sum, Jul 10, 2020
  4. 27_han Win User

I use my Windows profile with license key on 2 hard drives but how can I use only one?

Can I use windows 10 OEM on my other PC?

1.) What if I upgrade my existing build with a new motherboard? Is there a way to transfer the license unto the new one?

2.) I see. I'm assuming if two computers use the same license at the same time the license will be invalidated, that correct?

27_han, Jul 10, 2020
Thema:

I use my Windows profile with license key on 2 hard drives but how can I use only one?

1. I use my Windows profile with license key on 2 hard drives but how can I use only one? - Similar Threads - profile license key

2. How can I sign into my One-Drive using ONLY THE KEYBOARD?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How can I sign into my One-Drive using ONLY THE KEYBOARD?: I keep getting the message that my OneDrive is not signed on; but I am totally blind and cannot find a way to sign in using ONLY the KEYBOARD - ABSOLUTELY NO MOUSE!...
  3. How can I sign into my One-Drive using ONLY THE KEYBOARD?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How can I sign into my One-Drive using ONLY THE KEYBOARD?: I keep getting the message that my OneDrive is not signed on; but I am totally blind and cannot find a way to sign in using ONLY the KEYBOARD - ABSOLUTELY NO MOUSE!...
  4. I can only use one monitor at a time

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I can only use one monitor at a time: I have been having display issues with my computer for some time now. 6 months back I bought a second monitor and while connected, was causing my other monitor that I game on to get locked at 60hz for some reason. When I unplug the other monitor, its refresh rate reverts to...
  5. I can only use one monitor at a time

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I can only use one monitor at a time: I have been having display issues with my computer for some time now. 6 months back I bought a second monitor and while connected, was causing my other monitor that I game on to get locked at 60hz for some reason. When I unplug the other monitor, its refresh rate reverts to...
  6. How to use MS license to new Hard Drive

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    How to use MS license to new Hard Drive: how may i do if my hdd fail and want to use a new hdd. I bought MS Windows license. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-use-ms-license-to-new-hard-drive/c3c3e1ca-e3ef-4170-afa7-bbaae44d3839
  7. can i use 1 license on 2 pc?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    can i use 1 license on 2 pc?: it's possible? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/can-i-use-1-license-on-2-pc/44e8eac4-baa0-4c0f-a7e4-1ec2d7ab7e0a
  8. how can I avoid using one-drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    how can I avoid using one-drive: I don't want my files on one-drive. How do I turn it off? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-can-i-avoid-using-one-drive/30632f62-1599-442d-98e0-b24b56ebe153"
  9. Can I Use One Drive Like This?

in Windows 10 Support
    Can I Use One Drive Like This?: I want to work on a Libre document in its own directory on my hard drive. But I'd like it to be mirrored onto One Drive. So that everything I do to it is reflected immediately onto the One Drive copy Then when I'm elsewhere on some other PC I'd like to work on that doc on...
  10. Upgrading Hard drive, can I use my existing Product Key?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Upgrading Hard drive, can I use my existing Product Key?: Upgrading my hard drive to a larger unit and I was just wondering can I use the existing product key that can with the computer if I did a fresh install of windows 10? Haven't really messed around with this before just looking for some help before I get to far along....