Windows 10: I use Office Pro 2002. Problems using Winword on one Win10 machine

Discus and support I use Office Pro 2002. Problems using Winword on one Win10 machine in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Office Pro 2002. Two HP laptops, both Win10. One newer, one older. Newer HP machine was fine with Win10 and Office 2002 until memory issue... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Mrow22, May 16, 2020.

1. Mrow22 Win User

I use Office Pro 2002. Problems using Winword on one Win10 machine

Office Pro 2002. Two HP laptops, both Win10. One newer, one older.

Newer HP machine was fine with Win10 and Office 2002 until memory issue happened with this machine; crashed when memory broke. Replaced memory, reloaded factory image of OS from partition. Since then, with two different installs, uninstalls and reinstalls of Office Pro 2002 with key, WinWord crashes whenever I try to open an existing file from existing file folders regardless of source drive. Excel is ok. I seem to be able to create and save a test document with no trouble, but it will not open pre-existing documents. I had first loaded Word and Excel, then after uninstall I loaded the suite, but really only need Word and Excel. Source drive is fine and files open with other PC.

Older HP Win 10 machine i7 motherboard works fine with Office 2002. Have installed on previously owned XP, Win Vista, Win7 machines until they were taken out of service. I have access to a 365 license but I would prefer not to be on the cloud and I believe I don't need all the capabilities 365 would offer. I just need Office 2002 to work on my two machines. I really only need WinWord and Excel from the suite. I am older and it's all I need or want. I believe WinWord and Excel can work on either machine, since they have been fine before I repaired the newer laptop memory 32gb. Would prefer to keep my Office 2002 functional as opposed to going to open source.

I am imagining this issue is something simple. I have tried compatibility mode but am confused by the options. Has not worked so far.

Again, WinWord launches and can save a new file -- it cannot open old ones. All have *.doc extensions, are Word documents.

Yes I am aware this app is not supported. Just looking for a fix if there is one. Thanks, Don

:)

Mrow22, May 16, 2020

2. Compatible with Office 2002?

Activesync and WMDC supports Office 2002. But I suggest you upgrade Outlook though.

Linley Meslier, May 16, 2020
  3. rwhite1 Win User
    ABBYY crashes Office 16, Winword and Excel on Win10

This documents a problem not posted but solved by a friend. I'm posting it because when he called MS for help the solution was the first thing the tech suggested and I could find no reference to it on this site or anywhere else; therefore, it must occur often and should probably be documented.

After installing Office 16, the new WinWord and Excel kept terminating with the useless "Windows explorer stopped working." and "We'll notify you when (that means "if") a solution is found". It continued getting worse until the computer started crashing.

When he called MS and described the problem, the first thing the tech asked was, "Do you have ABBYY installed?" The answer: "Yes". When he removed the program the computer and Office 16 worked fine. ABBYY is an OCR program. For him, it was installed by an Epson scanner.

rwhite1, May 16, 2020
  4. Sable711 Win User

Office XP 2002 With Vista

I noticed that after I installed my Office XP 2002 that it has unstable features:
    1: The Outlook keeps asking me for PW on all my e-mail accounts when I start it up.
    2: I am not able to change the office assistant.
    3: if I right click on assistant and choose option and click on Galary it says:
    There is not enough memory available to complete this operation.
    Well I have 2 gigs of ram and only use 45% with Office launched.
    Can I make Office 2002 work properly with Vista?

Sable711, May 16, 2020
Thema:

1. I use Office Pro 2002. Problems using Winword on one Win10 machine - Similar Threads - Office Pro 2002

2. MS Office 2002 Professional

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    MS Office 2002 Professional: I paid quite a bit for my MS Office 2002 Pro version and I would like to know if Word and Excel will work in windows 10. If so, what compatibility mode https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/ms-office-2002-professional/89944b84-37ab-436b-b227-1a8647e75c13
  3. Can i use one Windows key on more than one virtual machine

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Can i use one Windows key on more than one virtual machine: For example, on my main PC i have an activated version of windows 10 home. Can i now use this key on one or more virtual machines without uninstalling windows on my main PC? I tried looking in the licensing documentation but i couldn't find what i was looking for....
  4. I need to get license for win10. I bought a used machine with it installed but have no...

I need to get license for win10. I bought a used machine with it installed but have no...: I need to get license for win10. I bought a used machine with it installed but have no product key. how to buy a digital key? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-need-to-get-license-for-win10-i-bought-a-used/ac33b1e6-c5b0-4590-8bf9-22eead69006e"
  5. WIN10 and Office 2003 Pro

in Microsoft Office and 365
    WIN10 and Office 2003 Pro: I managed to install Office 2003 Pro on two WIN 10 computers. I had no real problem with the install. I was able too get all my old Access databases and my old spreadsheets connected to the programs and working just fine. I think I had a Windows update occur and MS tried to...
  6. Win10 Pro Product Key on old machine needed for new one

Win10 Pro Product Key on old machine needed for new one: and of course I have no idea where my record of my product key for Win10 Pro retail got hidden. I've tried the CMD and Powershell methods and no go. How do I get my product key so I can use it my new machine? I am posting from the old one that has the key right now. 116036
  7. Win10 Pro Product Key on old machine needed for new one

in Windows 10 Support
    Win10 Pro Product Key on old machine needed for new one: and of course I have no idea where my record of my product key for Win10 Pro retail got hidden. I've tried the CMD and Powershell methods and no go. How do I get my product key so I can use it my new machine? I am posting from the old one that has the key right now. 116036
  8. Can I use win10 32 prod key in win10 64 in same machine?

Can I use win10 32 prod key in win10 64 in same machine?: Hi, I have the upgrade from win7 retail to Win10 x 32 on 1 drive and have installed from DVD Win 10 x 64 on another drive as a dual boot while I set up the 64. Both work fine. I have an Active Product key for the 32 but the 64 keeps wanting me to Activate. As I am...
  9. ABBYY crashes Office 16, Winword and Excel on Win10

in Microsoft Office and 365
    ABBYY crashes Office 16, Winword and Excel on Win10: This documents a problem not posted but solved by a friend. I'm posting it because when he called MS for help the solution was the first thing the tech suggested and I could find no reference to it on this site or anywhere else; therefore, it must occur often and should...
  10. Retail Win8 upgraded to Win10: Use the license on a new machine in the

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Retail Win8 upgraded to Win10: Use the license on a new machine in the: I'm wondering how to use my migrated Win8 Retail license on my next machine. It will be a few years from now and well past the free upgrade offer. I've used Showkey and I'm not sure if what it returns will be usable. If memory serves me (don't trust it myself) I think it's...