Windows 10: I USED TO HAVE WINDOWS 11 ON MY LAPTOP BUT SWITCHED TO UBUNTU NOT DUAL BOOT COMPLETE SWITCH...

Discus and support I USED TO HAVE WINDOWS 11 ON MY LAPTOP BUT SWITCHED TO UBUNTU NOT DUAL BOOT COMPLETE SWITCH... in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; I'd prefer to not spend money... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by Kalyan Sreenivas, Jun 3, 2023.

1. I USED TO HAVE WINDOWS 11 ON MY LAPTOP BUT SWITCHED TO UBUNTU NOT DUAL BOOT COMPLETE SWITCH...

I'd prefer to not spend money

:)

Kalyan Sreenivas, Jun 3, 2023

2. Uninstall Ubuntu Dual boot and Repairing Dual Boot in Windows 10

Hello.

I had dual-booted my Dell laptop which came with preinstalled Windows 10. I had dual booted with Ubuntu 16.04 by creating a partition on the disk. To remove this dual boot, i.e. I only wanted to keep Windows 10, I formatted the disk, drive F(in my case),
    where Ubuntu was stored. But, now whenever I boot my system, a black grub screen comes with the following message:

"Minimal BASH-like line editing is supported. For the first word, TAB lists possible command completions. Anywhere else TAB lists possible device completions.

grub> _"

Upon writing 'exit', I am able to enter Windows.

1. I wish to know the reason behind it and how it can be removed.

2. I found this site, Uninstall Ubuntu Dual boot, I went ahead and performed all the steps. But somehow
    ended up with this error.

Also, I saw your reply on this thread Redirecting.
    But it did not help me to remove my error. I will really appreciate your help in removing this error.

Thank you.

ShreyaShah7, Jun 3, 2023
  3. topgundcp Win User
    Help with dual booting Win 10 and Ubuntu

This is your whole problem. What you should have done is to put GRUB in sdb1 and Windows Manager in sda1 so that Windows Boot Manager is in control.
    So what suggested above will not make any difference. GRUB is still in control of booting process.
    To fix your problem. You will need to:
    1. Move GRUB from sdb to sdb1
      |grub2 - how to move grub boot from one partition to another in linux - Ask Ubuntu
    2. Rebuild The Windows Boot Manager ie. create a brand new BCD to boot Windows 10.
    3. Once done with steps 1 and 2 above. Windows will not know UBUNTU exists and vice versa.
      Depend on the priority set in the BIOS, it will boot directly into that OS.
      However, you can boot either one from Boot Menu (Using whatever key that your Laptop assigned to: F2, F10....)
      Since I hate Dual Boot and seldom boot into Linux, I will stop here.
      Now, go to step 4 to create dual boot.
    4. Use Easy BCD to create an entry for dual boot with UBUNTU. Once done, you should get a nice GUI dual Boot Menu
      and it will boot directly into either Windows or UBUNTU.

Here's the detailed explanation: How can I move windows 10 boot files to another drive to allow linux

topgundcp, Jun 3, 2023
  4. zvit Win User

I USED TO HAVE WINDOWS 11 ON MY LAPTOP BUT SWITCHED TO UBUNTU NOT DUAL BOOT COMPLETE SWITCH...

Missing Bootable devices in BIOS after removing Ubuntu dual boot

Windows 10 Pro, Version 2004, OB build 19041.572

I have a Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UP4 TH mb. My BIOS has been set to UEFI for a while now and I had no issues with it. When I needed to boot into some live cd or flash drive, I would press F12 at boot and have a list of bootable devices to choose from. I also saw all of these devices in the BIOS, where I could choose them for a boot order.

I found myself using Ubuntu quite often with the “try ubuntu” option, so last week I decided to install it as a dual boot. I used a secondary hard drive for the Ubuntu partitions (not C.) After a few days, I decided to get rid of the dual boot. I went through all the steps to delete it; deleting the ubuntu partitions, and using diskpart to get GRUB removed from the boot loader. Although after this, the computer would boot right into Windows, for some reason, the ubuntu was still listed in bcdedit /enum firmware, so I also used bcdedit /delete to delete that.

Here’s the issue that I have now:

When I press F12 to boot into a live CD (or flash drive), the only boot option is Windows. In my BIOS, in the boot order section, I can only choose Windows; there is no more list of all my drives and CD ROM to choose to boot from.

The only way to get back the list of bootable devices is if I switch the “Boot Mode Selection” from “UFEI only” to anything else, like “UEFI and LEGACY” or “LEGACY only.”

However, if I switch to anything other than “UEFI only,” the computer won’t boot into windows; I get an error saying, “Reboot and select proper boot device.”

I am 99% sure that before I did the dual boot, I had “UEFI and LEGACY” selected in the BIOS and in Windows System information, it would show that my BIOS is UEFI.

What I need now is to be able to see a list of bootable devices in my BIOS, including my CD ROM, so that I can choose to boot from a CD or flash drive when desired, and of course, that my computer should boot into Windows when I just want to boot normally.

Notes:

1. Fast boot is disabled.
    2. I read that Secure boot should be disabled but I don’t have that setting.
    3. I read that CSM should be disabled but I don’t have that setting.
    4. My C drive (SSD) is GPT, Active & System.

Any suggestions?

zvit, Jun 3, 2023
Thema:

I USED TO HAVE WINDOWS 11 ON MY LAPTOP BUT SWITCHED TO UBUNTU NOT DUAL BOOT COMPLETE SWITCH...

1. I USED TO HAVE WINDOWS 11 ON MY LAPTOP BUT SWITCHED TO UBUNTU NOT DUAL BOOT COMPLETE SWITCH... - Similar Threads - USED LAPTOP SWITCHED

2. I USED TO HAVE WINDOWS 11 ON MY LAPTOP BUT SWITCHED TO UBUNTU NOT DUAL BOOT COMPLETE SWITCH...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I USED TO HAVE WINDOWS 11 ON MY LAPTOP BUT SWITCHED TO UBUNTU NOT DUAL BOOT COMPLETE SWITCH...: I'd prefer to not spend money https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-used-to-have-windows-11-on-my-laptop-but/b8c350a0-3bd9-43ba-abd6-b2ca870c9dee
  3. Dual Monitor not switching

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Dual Monitor not switching: I am operating dual monitors on Windows 10. They are extended with one being assigning primary and the other secondary. At times, my primary monitor has gone out a different issue that I am working to fix, but might be connected; I am not sure. When this happens, my secondary...
  4. Dual Boot Ubuntu

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Dual Boot Ubuntu: I am a software developer who has recently got some embedded systems work. The support community for the tools I will be using is built with the assumption of a Linux operating system. While for other types of work-loads, such as backend work, I have been happy with my...
  5. Dual boot Ubuntu

Dual boot Ubuntu: I tried 'Ubuntu' for a while. Later got the drive deleted. [ATTACH] But the Ubuntu Boot Manager is there in the BIOS ? How can I remove that? Dr Abdul Rasheed https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/dual-boot-ubuntu/8d273b76-c1f2-4f23-9ba6-28a4c96b9141
  6. Disabling Laptop Lid Switch completely

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Disabling Laptop Lid Switch completely: Hi everyone, I've been having a rather annoying problem with my Lenovo Legion Y530. My laptop randomly started going to sleep while gaming and eventually started happening at completely arbitrary times. When I looked at event viewer I saw the issue was "Error 42 - Reason for...
  7. Dual boot with Ubuntu

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Dual boot with Ubuntu: Hello, I wanted to dual boot with ubuntu on HDD while my windows is on SSD. Most tutorials I have seen usually show the option to select the OS they want to boot into when they start the computer. I was wondering if there is a way where I could always boot into windows...
  8. dual OS switching

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    dual OS switching: I have windows 10 on my HP pavilion dv6 as the main OS and I have a bootable portable hard drive running Ubuntu, I am trying to find a way to be able to swap between the programs without having to restart and change the OS each time I want to use them. Essentially I want both...
  9. Switch Operating Systems In Dual-Boot System

Switch Operating Systems In Dual-Boot System: Dual-boot system Partition C:\ = Windows 10 Pro Partition E:\ = Windows 7 Pro Would it be possible to switch the OSs? I have applications to clone one partition to another but my concern are the already installed apps being functional. Did a Google search and all I found...
  10. Ubuntu Dual Boot

Ubuntu Dual Boot: I am using the non-metro Windows 10 boot loader to manage a dual boot setup (legacy BIOS) with Ubuntu. Generally, everything works fine. However, sometimes when I perform an update in Ubuntu, grub overwrites the Windows MBR. Then I have to use EasyBCD to restore the Windows...