Windows 10: I want my laptop keyboard to work when in tablet position

Discus and support I want my laptop keyboard to work when in tablet position in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; My daughters laptop is a 2-1 so it can fold in half and be a tablet. I recently bought a monitor and mouse so she could use it more like a desktop but... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by ricobico, Jan 25, 2016.

1. ricobico Win User

I want my laptop keyboard to work when in tablet position

My daughters laptop is a 2-1 so it can fold in half and be a tablet. I recently bought a monitor and mouse so she could use it more like a desktop but when I fold over the laptop into the tablet position, the keyboard stops working.

I had windows 8.1, but upgraded as it was supposed to have a tablet mode that you could toggle that would allow the keyboard to work. I upgraded and it worked for one night, but now the keyboard always stopped working when I put the laptop into the tablet position.
    I hit the windows key +A and the tablet icon is greyed out, but no keyboard so I thought it was a laptop issue. I read that there was a toshiba exe file that controlled this functon, but deleting it didn't work either so I am back to thinking it might be something in 10?

Please help.

:)

ricobico, Jan 25, 2016

2. Rotation of laptop disables trackpad and keyboard even with tablet mode turned off

Ok so, I have an HP spectre x360 with windows 10 on it. It is a 2 in 1 laptop that has touchscreen capabilities. Normally if I rotate my computer or flip the screen it will automatically switch to tablet mode, which is fine. But, for example, if I want to
    watch a show in bed and lay on my side I like to put my computer on its side as well without going into tablet mode so I can still use the trackpad and keyboard. So I change the setting to not switch the computer to tablet mode and I also have autorotation
    set to off, so the screen will stay it its normal configuration. When I turn the computer to the side the screen stays the same (which is what I want) and it does not switch to tablet mode (which is also what I want), BUT windows disables both my trackpad
    and my keyboard while the computer is sideways (90 degrees) like it thinks I'm in tablet mode when I'm really not.

Essentially, I want my computer to act like a normal laptop without a bunch of auto-rotates and tablet modes for the time that I am in bed and then be able to switch back so that I can lay on my side with my computer at a 90 degree angle and nothing changes.
    And so far, everything seems to work other than windows disabling my trackpad and keyboard.

Also a little clarification, if tablet mode is set to turn on when I rotate the computer, if I turn tablet mode OFF while the computer is still in its rotated position the keyboard and trackpad stay disabled. They will not become enabled until the laptop
    is in an upright position again.

culmanblack, Jan 25, 2016
  3. Windows Hello has been blocked due to too many sign in attempts. To unblock Hello sign in with your pin.'

In talking to Microsoft - I was able to flip my laptop / tablet to "portrait" position, and the different options (PIN) was right there! Doesn't happen all the time, but when it does, it works!

ToniDeMello, Jan 25, 2016
  4. Berton Win User

The 2-in-1s I've been privileged to look at appeared to have a mechanical switch to turn off the keyboard when it was folded into tablet mode, don't think there's anyway to bypass that without physically disabling it by taking the device apart, could end up destroying it.

Berton, Jan 25, 2016
  5. ricobico Win User
    Thanks for your reply.
    I would agree, but I had it working the first night for many hours after installing windows 10. Then the computer went to hibernate mode or whatever and it stopped working when we woke it up.

I can't imagine anything has a mechanical switch these days.

ricobico, Jan 25, 2016
  6. As far as I know, Berton is right. My wife and I each have an HP x360 and I assumed there was a hardware switch that shut the keyboard off as well.

If she has an external monitor and wants to use it as a "desktop", add a USB keyboard to it. That's how a corporate setup works (usually with a docking station), but you shouldn't/wouldn't need to put it in tablet mode.

DeaconFrost, Jan 27, 2016
  7. ricobico Win User
    Thanks for the reply. I found this link with a suggestion, but I can't find it in my task manager.
    Unable to use laptop keyboard in tablet mode with monitor? - Laptops - Laptop Tech Support
    I also found some Lenovo discussions where they had a piece of software that controlled when the keyboard went on and off. I would only assume the Toshiba works the same way, but that doesn't help me unless I can figure it out.

ricobico, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. I want my laptop keyboard to work when in tablet position - Similar Threads - laptop keyboard tablet

2. my keyboard is not working on laptop when i tried reinstalling the keyboard drivers as its...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    my keyboard is not working on laptop when i tried reinstalling the keyboard drivers as its...: my keyboard is not working on laptop when i tried reinstalling the keyboard drivers as its response was slow recently pls help me recover my keyboard LAPTOP...
  3. my keyboard is not working on laptop when i tried reinstalling the keyboard drivers as its...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    my keyboard is not working on laptop when i tried reinstalling the keyboard drivers as its...: my keyboard is not working on laptop when i tried reinstalling the keyboard drivers as its response was slow recently pls help me recover my keyboard LAPTOP...
  4. Laptop Audio not working in some positions

Laptop Audio not working in some positions: Hello, my laptop sound just stopped working, but after i reinstalled the drivers and restarted the laptop it worked fine, UNTIL i moved the laptop, it seems when i put it in some positions the sounds stop wokring completely, not just for headphones or built in speakers, the...
  5. My laptops keyboard works while I use it as a tablet and it's not an issue with the drivers...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My laptops keyboard works while I use it as a tablet and it's not an issue with the drivers...: My laptops keyboard works while I use it as a tablet and it's not an issue with the drivers but the windows...The make windows more touch friendly option is gone and rotation lock is greyed out...
  6. My laptops keyboard works while I use it as a tablet and it's not an issue with the drivers...

My laptops keyboard works while I use it as a tablet and it's not an issue with the drivers...: My laptops keyboard works while I use it as a tablet and it's not an issue with the drivers but the windows...The make windows more touch friendly option is gone and rotation lock is greyed out...
  7. I want to switch of tablet mode in Windows 11 as it seems to hide my cursor when working in...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I want to switch of tablet mode in Windows 11 as it seems to hide my cursor when working in...: When using Sage Payroll in Windows 11 on atouchscreen lap top the cursor becomes invisible. I understand that this may be because it is in tablet mode which I am unable to switch off. Can anybody offer a solution...
  8. I want to switch of tablet mode in Windows 11 as it seems to hide my cursor when working in...

I want to switch of tablet mode in Windows 11 as it seems to hide my cursor when working in...: When using Sage Payroll in Windows 11 on atouchscreen lap top the cursor becomes invisible. I understand that this may be because it is in tablet mode which I am unable to switch off. Can anybody offer a solution...
  9. i plugged my drawing tablet and now my keyboard is not working

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    i plugged my drawing tablet and now my keyboard is not working: So i got a new drawing tablet and i tested it out and My mechanical keyboard stopped working, And when i plugged it into another laptop it works just fine. So i am asking for help!...
  10. The keyboard for my Asus laptop will not disable when I flip it to tablet mode

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    The keyboard for my Asus laptop will not disable when I flip it to tablet mode: Hi, I currently have an Asus TP300L laptop that can flip into a tablet currently running Windows 10. The actual keyboard on it no longer disables when I flip it, so if I were to put it on my lap while in tablet mode, whatever hits it from under can still hit the buttons....